Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 Black Volvo XC90 Manual D5 103K

Views : 2126

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:16   #1
Rich850R
Master Member

Default 2009 Black Volvo XC90 Manual D5 103K

Welcome to Sherman our 2009 Black Volvo XC90 D5 Manual 103k (Reg Feb 09)

Sherman has been a welcome addition to our family, we are a Volvo enthusiast family (sad i know) but not to you guys on here!!!

We required a new tow car, and i'd never considered an XC90, we'd always towed with V70 D5s, but because we had upgraded to a larger heavier caravan we felt the need to find a more suitable tow car.

A friend of ours who also runs a Volvo independent garage suggested we find the unicorn of a manual XC90, without a tow bar!!

The hunt was on, we had looked at various XC90’s and had our time wasted on numerous counts, “its mint” mechanically its spot on” you know the nonsense some people will spout to get a viewing and chance their arm.

We began to lose faith and our holiday was looming in Cornwall. We found Sherman in mid July and he seemed on the outset to tick every box going.

Manual (lower tax band)
Low owners
Low Mileage
No tow bar
Good service history
Good MOT history

What was the catch? Actually we were very very lucky to find him, and after a short ride out for a test drive we sorted the paperwork, and had done the deal.

Time was against us though still, we wanted to get him into our local independent for a peace of mind health check, we knew he needed new discs and pads on the front and a pair of tyres, he also needed a tow bar, which finding a fitter and getting them booked was another story! Why didn't we just buy one with a tow bar? I wanted one that we knew had not worked hard for its previous life, finding one that didn't have one although wouldn't guarantee it hadn't had a hard life it certainly helped.

So since we have had him

Genuine Volvo discs and pads £179.67 (great discount)
New Volvo Battery £126
Michelin tyres £300 (fronts) Rears were only a few months old, so wanted to match them up.
Single electric detachable tow bar £430
Rear boot tray £38
Side steps £384.74
Tinted front windows £50 (not quite drug dealer spec but subtle enough)
Genuine Volvo cambelt kit
Aux belt
Tensioner
Coolant change = Parts and labour for the service and fitting of steps £510

Why did we have the cambelt done if it was showing in the history it had been done on time? It was an aftermarket kit, and call me a fussy git, but I wanted genuine Volvo!

A fair question to ask is why are we selling Sherman? Well 2 things, i have a company car coming in the new year which can double up as a tow car, so its pointless having the XC90 as well as a company car, also we are selling our caravan too, we've found a house that we really have fallen in love with and selling the caravan, the XC90, and also dare i say it our pride and joy Volvo 850R will help us in pursuit of our dream move. (we will return to a van one day)

It's quite scary how much we have spent on him in such a short period of time, but we never cut corners on anything we own.

We managed to get all of the above done before our trip to Cornwall, so he's towed in anger once for our holiday. He was a pleasure to tow with, roof rack full of bikes, twin axle van on the back, he felt rock steady, and was as comfortable as you'd expect a big comfy Volvo to be.

So, he's not perfect, he's a 10ft motor, get really close and you can see paint imperfections, he's got a couple of scratches on him, nothing that a professional detailer wouldn't be able to rectify and in fact we have already had a conversation with a detailer which if we were keeping him would certainly have done Happy to pass on these details, or have done for you before collection. No panel damage.

No corrosion on the chassis, specifically the sub-frame areas, which again is a common issue on the XC90 so im led to believe, no sprayed on oil or waxoyl to hide any nasties!

Remarkably clean underneath, clearly never been used off road/farm etc

The interior actually belies its age and the drivers seat shows no signs of wear or scabbing, that said the leather gear knob has started to split at the stitching (quite common on these i've heard)

The driver's side switch pack is broken, not the functionality just the way it's attached, not the best Volvo design by any stretch, when I get out the car my leg catches on the switch pack. Not the end of the world by any stretch.

Has all the usual refinements
A/C
Cruise control
CD/Aux port
Half leather/Vinyl seats
3 rd row seats to make into a 7 seater

All in all a very well sorted XC90, he does exactly what he says on the tin!!

Dont expect, 50mpg, get a prius if you do! preaching to the converted on here!
Don't expect it to be a back road blaster, buy a sports car (heard Porsche are quite good)

However expect him to be a reliable, trustworthy tank, affectionately known as Sherman to the family, even better still, buy the caravan to go on the back of him!!

£6250

Based in Northants

Can share pics on email, whats-app etc no idea how to select multiple images on here

Thanks for reading!

Any questions give us a shout

Rich
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 18:11   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

The 2009 manual is 219 carbons, exactly the same Band K tax rating as the 2009 Geartronic with 224.

Do you have any pictures? Theres an outside possiblity I know someone who might be interested, local to you as well. My Daughter has my old 90 for towing her horsebox, and a friend of hers has always admired it and would quite like one herself but she doesn't want an auto.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Nov 27th, 2021 at 18:24.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 23:09   #3
Rich850R
Master Member

As stated I can share pics via email or WhatsApp
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 23:48   #4
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

I have neither Whatsapp or a mobile phone.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 23:56   #5
Rich850R
Master Member

So as i stated I can email. So clearly have a computer!
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 10:07   #6
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Fine, forget it. I was going to try and connect you with someone who might be interested, and who is local. With all due respect I'm not giving out my email to a stranger.

If you can't be bothered to post the pics then I can't light up my computer and show her the images on the forum when she comes for dinner later.

Best of luck with the sale.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 10:28   #7
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Fine, forget it. I was going to try and connect you with someone who might be interested, and who is local. With all due respect I'm not giving out my email to a stranger.

If you can't be bothered to post the pics then I can't light up my computer and show her the images on the forum when she comes for dinner later.

Best of luck with the sale.

Where did i say i couldn't be bothered to add pics? i said i am struggling to add pics on this forum, its not a case of not being bothered in the slightest. Lighten up
Im sure if your friend who is coming for dinner has a quick blast on ebay, she will be sure to find it.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 12:14   #8
Fika

Pics pics pics!!!

Also what mpg do you get on Sherman? I tried a manual diesel XC90 and the figures were not really believable on the dash...
Fika is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fika For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 13:44   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fika View Post
Pics pics pics!!!

Also what mpg do you get on Sherman? I tried a manual diesel XC90 and the figures were not really believable on the dash...
I have a 2012 D5 and if I drive it sensibly (60mph with occasional overtakes etc) I can manage close to 40mpg.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 10:08   #10
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fika View Post
Pics pics pics!!!

I have never gone by the dash MPG figures on any of our Volvos!

I get circa 30 around town, i've squeezed 41.6 on a run, but that was driving like miss daisy, wind assisted!!