Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 strip lights by the grille

Views : 2756

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 15:41   #21
Squire

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyoro View Post
Might be worth just lifting the headlamps out , this may give you a little access to the back of these lamps to check connectors etc
I've got to change the xenon low beams as they're both different colours and one seems brighter than the other, so I'll have a look and see when I do.
Any recommendations for the xenons, I know they're not cheap, don't want to dazzle people but would prefer them a bit brighter, I'm a bit disappointed with low beam but high beam is great.

Many thanks again and if anyone else has any ideas that'll be great.

Martyn
Squire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:46   #22
bomberfr0g

OSRAM XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER D3S, +200% more brightness, HID xenon bulb, discharge lamp, 66340XNL-HCB, duo box (2 lamps)

I bought these for my v60 from amazon(not the other sellers on amazon), similar issues poor lights and odd colours, difference was dramatically good. not cheap but will last for several years.
beware fakes if not buying from a good source, they have a system to check genuine.
bomberfr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomberfr0g For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 14:43   #23
Squire

Red face

Well, all lights are functioning as they should apart from the position/drops near the grille, so if the weather gets a bit kinder it may well be headlamps out and check for power supply provided can reach them.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 09:56   #24
glynh

Auxiliary lamps*
If the car has auxiliary lamps, the driver can use
the MY CAR menu system to choose whether
they should be deactivated or switched on/off
simultaneously with the main beam.

so check that manu before you start stripping your bumper!

i have a 2013 SE LUX (facelift) and the lights are VERY bright.

also if you are wondering :

'home-safe' = before you exit the car 'flash' the main beam, this will turn the lights on for the seconds set (handy at night) and isnt something people generally have heard of.

approach light - if you have the 'light' button on your key fob it will turn on some of the lights (not the main lights, just sides at the front).
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 16:09   #25
Squire

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynh View Post
Auxiliary lamps*
If the car has auxiliary lamps, the driver can use
the MY CAR menu system to choose whether
they should be deactivated or switched on/off
simultaneously with the main beam.

so check that manu before you start stripping your bumper!

i have a 2013 SE LUX (facelift) and the lights are VERY bright.

also if you are wondering :

'home-safe' = before you exit the car 'flash' the main beam, this will turn the lights on for the seconds set (handy at night) and isnt something people generally have heard of.

approach light - if you have the 'light' button on your key fob it will turn on some of the lights (not the main lights, just sides at the front).
Thanks for the reply, I've been through the "My Car" menu but did not see anything regarding "auxiliary lamps", don't think I missed anywhere but it's possible I may have.
I know about safe home and approach lights from my old Rover 75, Thanks for mentioning it anyway. I'm also not taking the bumper off this side of winter

Martyn
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 09:23   #26
Squire

Red face Thread revival.

Just a bump on this thread regarding the drls not working on my newly acquired V60.
For various reasons I've not had an opportunity to look and tbh don't want to end up making things worse. Can anyone confirm if fuse 34 is the one for these lights? If they are not working is it a MOT failure even though the headlights are permanently on? If covered up by tape or plastic cover then would it fail MOT, tester is not permitted to remove anything?

Lastly, the usual curse of "low battery" keeps coming on, battery 12.5v after standing overnight in cold weather, will most likely leave and see what happens then. Getting a bit disillusioned with it tbh, far too many silly faults that seem difficult to resolve, may well end up going to an indie Volvo expert to get things sorted.

If anyone has any ideas that'll be great and apologies for all the "silly" questions. Maybe I should stick to my nice simple classics!? 😆 🤣

Martyn.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 12:24   #27
Deck1ng
Master Member

My understanding is: “if a lamp is fitted and wired, it should work.” For the purposes of the MoT.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 12:40   #28
Squire

Wink

Thanks for the reply, that's my understanding too.
However, it's naughty to do but if they are completely covered and unable to show light or not as the case may be, the tester is not allowed to remove anything, covers etc it shouldn't be a problem?
However, I am one of those people that if it's meant to work I prefer it to work regardless if the lights are any good/use or not. I would prefer a small grille instead of lights that don't work or serve no useful function.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 16:24   #29
Squire

Default Bump bump. drls again

Hi all,
First off apologies if my questions seem a bit dumb!
Does anyone know how to take out the drls either side of the grille or know where the wiring runs and is there a multi plug on the end?
As per my other threads mine are not working, all the other lights are fine. I'm not use to these modern Volvos, I also don't have much room to do any work on it

I can see two wires coming out of the drls and dissappear out of sight lower down, does the bumper need to come off to take the lights out as I would like to see if power is getting to them or take one out and see if lights up with an independent 12v supply to them.
It's due for it's MOT in a couple of months and it's deemed a fail if these light don't work!

Any advice, guidance, ideas or comments would be very much appreciated as I'm trying to keep the costs down. I'm even thinking of buying my old Rover 75 back!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Martyn
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 21:52   #30
Whyman
Premier Member

Are the orange side marker bulbs in the headlight working?

They are wired in series with the front marker lights and if the bulb fails then the marker light also goes out.