Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6 D2 a complete load of tut??

Views : 2661

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2021, 10:40   #21
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
I'm certain it should of had a dpf changed by now, we have seen some last as much as 110k but that's more of an exception than the rule....

..cant remember when Volvo switched to the lifetime dpf system on the 1.6's you might be lucky and have the newer version
Resurrecting an older thread, but I have a 2011 V60 Drive (1.6D), 103,000miles, can anyone confirm if I should be thinking about something with my DPF, and consequences for doing nothing ?

A later post on the thread suggests nothing required.

No issues at present (touch wood).
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 17:01   #22
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Resurrecting an older thread, but I have a 2011 V60 Drive (1.6D), 103,000miles, can anyone confirm if I should be thinking about something with my DPF, and consequences for doing nothing ?

A later post on the thread suggests nothing required.

No issues at present (touch wood).
Is there any history that suggests it's been done before?
So long as you drive the car in a manner that keeps the DPF from getting clogged (so, don't trundle around at 35mph in 5th, thrash it a bit), that can help it last longer. Generally though, you can't tell until the car starts giving you warning lights for it.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 22:47   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
I've been browsing the forum lately and it seems quite a few people are having issues with the 1.6 D2. Whether that be in a v40 or v60 etc. As far as I understand it's a ford/psa unit similar to what was used in s40 v50 and the tails of woe from that side of the forum are endless. Now it's replaced with the VEA but there are loads of D2s around. Are they really that bad I mean from what I've read I wouldn't have one. Injectors failing at less than 20k miles sounds like a ford to me....
The D2 is fine if looked after properly ... It had a high precision fuel control system to keep the emissions clean and 2 valves per cylinder and 2 bar boost!
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 08:31   #24
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
they are fine as long as you service them and replace the DPF filter when required, if you don't then expect big repair bills later on.

for what its worth the newer D2's have a better DPF system that doesn't require replacing the filters ever 72k, I think its from 2012 onwards.

Ignoring the dpf can result in some nasty bills, worst case, dpf, sensors, pipes, egr & turbo failure. for the sake of around £300 fitted just change the dpf on time and you should be fine
This. One of my lasses had a Peugeot 308 with the same unit, and being the crotchety old duffer I am I nagged her persistently about maintenance, and how its cheaper in the long run to do it proprly and on time.

It managed 303,000 miles before the gearbox died (180 mile a day commute - don't worry, they were paying her very well for it), and up until that point had suffered no breakdowns of any kind.

Thats not to say the engine is infallible - far from it - but when playing poker one must consider every card deck if one wishes to win.

The other issue is one of sheer numbers. This family of engines is far and away the most produced passenger car diesel in the world, so just out of sheer numbers plenty of problems will rise to the surface.
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 08:15   #25
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post

The other issue is one of sheer numbers. This family of engines is far and away the most produced passenger car diesel in the world, so just out of sheer numbers plenty of problems will rise to the surface.
Indeed, it's in Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Volvo, Suzuki, and BMW Mini.

If someone had sad to you in 1994 (when the 240 was still produced) that one day you could buy Volvo's biggest estate with the same engine as a Mini.....?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 09:46   #26
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I may be repeating whats already been said, the D2 seems to be a slightly modified version of the older 1.6HDi, they suffer injector issues, turbo issues and the biggest of all, cracking the wet liners!
Avoid them at all costs.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 09:03   #27
Ashj66

I had the 1.6D C30 for about 18 months, it was great on fuel and I never had a hint of problem with it - But I was always doing consistent long journeys in it rather than short trips. Even in the C30 though it did need thrashing to get up to speed and the sound wasn't at all 'refined'.

The 2.0D D2 V40 was far better, and although still fairly low on power - it felt a lot safer and is an all round much nicer engine.
Ashj66 is offline   Reply With Quote