Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 740 Estate Auto 1988 - Brake Calipers - ABS - 2316cc

Views : 1525

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 00:20   #11
deeman940
Master Member

Default 940 setup??

I dont know if of any use but i have the complete front setup off a 940 turbo 1997....calipers . carriers, discs, pads . lines etc etc ready to go....new skider pins, discs n pads very recent...
Damo
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 08:36   #12
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Front calipers are sliding caliper ones - non-ABS with two pistons, ABS with one piston This is because non-ABS cars have the, IMO more desirable and arguably safer, triangular split with each circuit plumbed to both front calipers and one rear.

All rear calipers are fixed, two-piston ones.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 11:53   #13
Xylonite

Default Quote for Calipers

I have now heard back from my Mechanic who was sourcing my calipers. They cannot get any new ones but can provide reconditioned ones for £450 (Labour costs etc which I am ok with). I just really wanted advice on whether this is the only way forward or is there somewhere to source new ones. I don’t know if mine can be reconditioned and all four failed the MOT. Thanks again for any help.
Xylonite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xylonite For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 12:00   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylonite View Post
I have now heard back from my Mechanic who was sourcing my calipers. They cannot get any new ones but can provide reconditioned ones for £450 (Labour costs etc which I am ok with). I just really wanted advice on whether this is the only way forward or is there somewhere to source new ones. I don’t know if mine can be reconditioned and all four failed the MOT. Thanks again for any help.
What are your mechanical skills? If you are ok with replacing calipers yourself and using a Gunsons Easibleed, you could save a lot. You could get recoditioned calipers from https://www.biggred.co.uk/ probably for about half what you're being quoted, obviously you'll need DOT4 brake fluid as well (i'd suggest 5L to make sure you have enough.

I've not tried sourcing new calipers but even if you sent all 4 of yours to BiggRed for reconditioning and refitted them yourself you'd still make a big saving.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 13:45   #15
Xylonite

My mechanical skills are non-existent when it comes to practice but am learning a lot. I have taken some photos of the rear caliper to send to Big Redd and will get some of the front. I am on a phone atm but will try to post here later. I have re-read everything on this post and will keep you updated. I have certainly learnt a lot about preventative maintenance! I don’t want to lose this car really so will see what Big Redd say and next week and go from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xylonite For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 13:55   #16
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What are your mechanical skills? If you are ok with replacing calipers yourself and using a Gunsons Easibleed, you could save a lot. You could get recoditioned calipers from https://www.biggred.co.uk/ probably for about half what you're being quoted, obviously you'll need DOT4 brake fluid as well (i'd suggest 5L to make sure you have enough.

I've not tried sourcing new calipers but even if you sent all 4 of yours to BiggRed for reconditioning and refitted them yourself you'd still make a big saving.
All four calipers refurbed at Big Redd will set you back £300

Buying four new calipers will probably set you back somewhere between £200 to £300. Your £450.00 cost isn't that bad really as your labour is a big cost on these and also possibly having to fabricate new brake pipes
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 14:26   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post

Buying four new calipers will probably set you back somewhere between £200 to £300. Your £450.00 cost isn't that bad really as your labour is a big cost on these and also possibly having to fabricate new brake pipes
Ouch! Their prices have shot up since i last checked then! Was about £96/pair for mine but i didn't need them in the end.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 14:51   #18
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Ouch! Their prices have shot up since i last checked then! Was about £96/pair for mine but i didn't need them in the end.
That's inflation for you Dave
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 16:14   #19
kiloran

I think brakes are one of the easiest things to work on. At most £100 investment in tools.

Access is easy and generally they're pretty simple things - particularly on 7/940s. Even the rears are easy because the handbrake works on the disc, it's not built into the caliper.

I wouldn't claim to be that handy with the spanners but the first jobs I ever did were brake jobs - I've even done master cylinder replacements. Plenty of online tutorials for working on our brakes and the tools/skills apply to pretty much all disc brakes.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 19:39   #20
Xylonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post

Just to be clear the labour costs are extra to the £450, the £450 is just for four refurbished Calipers, I was told you can’t buy new ones for my car (this would be my preferred option) therefore if Bigg Redd will do them for £300 then I am better for them to refurb them. I have a separate quote for Labour to fit four Calipers and that’s ok with me as I can’t do them myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xylonite For This Useful Post:

Tags
brake calipers, brake pads, volvo 740 estate