Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Plasticky chirping noise

Views : 2035

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2021, 19:55   #11
robsterpaterson

Right so the aircon pulley bearing got changed yesterday and...the chirp/rattle is still there!!!
The only belt-related things left unchanged are the aircon compressor and the crank pulley. I'm discounting both of those because the crank pulley is running straight & true with no play and the noise is there regardless of the aircon being on or off so I can't see how it can be the compressor.
I'm now wondering if it's actually the swirl flaps so I'm going to start researching those
'01 ZX12R
robsterpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 23:42   #12
ltec

I thought you said it disappeared with the fan belt off. Can you post a video of the noise? Might help.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 07:09   #13
robsterpaterson

I did, I'm certain it does however I'll take the belt off again and take it to about 2500rpm...
'01 ZX12R
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 20:31   #14
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Hi, here is a picture of the head with the cover off after it's been cleaned, ready to fit the new swirl flaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Swirl Flaps.jpeg (282.8 KB, 36 views)
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian ferguson For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 19:42   #15
Borgi

I had a similar noise from the same area on my 2004 D5.
I was told by an independent garage that the alternator pulley has a clutch & that these are known to seize.
I removed the the alternator & had the pulley replaced by an auto electrician & the noise was no longer.
Just a thought.
Borgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 23:26   #16
robsterpaterson

Thanks but already changed the pulley with an OE part. No difference. Fitted a refurbed alternator in case it was alternator bearings. No difference.
'01 ZX12R
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 14:41   #17
robsterpaterson

As a bit of an update, now a few weeks have passed since I tried this, I've maybe cured it by...cleaning the old aux belt
I used the stuff I clean my motorbike chain with (due to rubber o-rings it has) and all seems well. The belt now has zero lateral play and there's no chirping noises either at idle or under load.
I've still to refit the new tensioner and the new belt (once I've cleaned that too) so this isn't 100% a fix. Tell you what though, I'm raging at the loads of hours and £300+ I've thrown at this issue!!!
'01 ZX12R
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 22:08   #18
Ian mallett

robsterpaterson did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the chirping belt noise but only hear it when changing up gears under medium to heavy throttle. If I creep about like miss daisy it doesn't do it. If it's a straight forward gear change I will hear it as the revs settle to the new gears lower revs, also noticed when towing or accelerating uphill I hear the chirp for longer( as the revs climb up to gear change under load and then stops after gear change)

Mention in earlier post that it could be swirl flaps?? My arm is connected but feels very sloppy??

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2023, 09:57   #19
Mike A

I had same noise changed tensioners and belt all-new and genuine volvo no change
I sprayed small amount of water on belt with engine running ...bingo noise gone I replaced with another new volvo belt problem solved..
Just shows that even new belts can be faulty .....So lesson learnt try this before changing everything easy to do and could save you time and money.
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2023, 10:00   #20
Ian mallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
I had same noise changed tensioners and belt all-new and genuine volvo no change
I sprayed small amount of water on belt with engine running ...bingo noise gone I replaced with another new volvo belt problem solved..
Just shows that even new belts can be faulty .....So lesson learnt try this before changing everything easy to do and could save you time and money.
Did yours make the chirp noise all the time or only on gear changes?

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote