Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Shock Absorbers - When did you replace ?

Views : 690

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2021, 09:27   #1
Toprivetguns

Default V60 Shock Absorbers - When did you replace ?

Just curious to see when and why people may of replaced their shock absorbers. Also have they chosen OEM or other eg Bilstein.
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 11:44   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
Just curious to see when and why people may of replaced their shock absorbers. Also have they chosen OEM or other eg Bilstein.
Without stating the obvious, you replace them when the ride becomes uncomfortable, as in the car will be crashing over bumps and/or you see fluid leaking from the shock absorber. The reason why you'd replace them is for this very reason.

I find genuine offers the right ride comfort for the car. There's good aftermarkets out there, like Bilstein or KYB for example, but they won't offer the same comfort. Some people like a stiffer suspension though, so aftermarket may suit them better.
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 12:13   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

Have a look on “AUTODOC”, prices range from £40 - £150 per unit, how you compare ride comfort I’ve no idea with about 15 choices of manufacturer I’d say it’s a bit of a gamble, where by buyingOEM you should get like for like.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 12:18   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

I believe "genuine" Volvo shock absorbers that you'd buy from a dealership parts department are made by Sachs with a Volvo badge on them.

I've replaced shock absorbers on a V70. They had Sachs product codes on them & they looked identical to the Sachs ones I viewed online (well, technically they were the same!).

So if you want to stick to genuine, buy from Volvo or buy Sachs branded ones elsewhere.

Volvo, like other manufacturers don't produce shock absorbers. The genuine ones you buy are made by someone else.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 5th, 2021 at 12:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 14:49   #5
Toprivetguns

I was just curious to see how much life people were obtaining before replacement was due. All valid points. I removed my rear shocks today for a pre-inspection. They compress, however dont return to the up position. New shocks ordered, plus the upgraded steel mounts.
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 15:03   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
I was just curious to see how much life people were obtaining before replacement was due. All valid points. I removed my rear shocks today for a pre-inspection. They compress, however dont return to the up position. New shocks ordered, plus the upgraded steel mounts.
It really depends on the life the shocks have had I suppose. For example, if you live in a place that's full of potholes (like most places here), then the shocks get a beating & won't last as long. If you're cruising up & down a motorway, then the shocks don't get abused as much.

On average, shocks usually need replacing around 100,000-150,000 miles. That's quite a broad spectrum I know, but generally, shocks would be getting tired around that mileage. However, they can fail before that & its not unheard of.
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 10:12   #7
Drunk

Just get Sachs or Bilstein, OEM dampers are mostly made by them anyway, so the only thing you'll be paying is the badge if you get them from volvo.
Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 19:08   #8
Toprivetguns

Shocks and top mount replaced. The aluminium mount and rubber was completely shot. Bilstein B6 and Volvo steel mounts installed. The car is a different beast. Incredibly smooth ride and a fairly simple job. I would recommend spraying the offending parts with WD40 the night before, especially the lower shock to trailing arm bolt.