Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel pipe from tank to pump - metal or flexible?

Views : 777

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 22:27   #1
tullis

Default Fuel pipe from tank to pump - metal or flexible?

Hello,

I'm working on my 1968 P1800S coupé and I don't like the look of the fuel pipe running from the tank to the pump. It looks like someone has just replaced what was originally there with a bit of something they had handy.

It's a flexible, clear, reinforced pipe, which isn't properly clipped to the chassis. All in all, I wouldn't trust it beyond the end of my drive.

I see from Brookhouse that they sell metal fuel pipe that was used from 1964 to 1969 (link)

I've just bought a Pierburg fuel pump to replace my AC model that was too badly worn, but I'm wondering of someone could please share some best practices for how I should renew this fuel line, between the tank and the pump.

Would it be better to fit the metal pipe, or would people use a flexible hose these days? If you would use a solid pipe like this, where and how it terminate to a flexible hose, because I'm assuming that it wouldn't be solid all the way to the pump.

I'm not necessarily looking for 100% original spec, but the safest option.
If you have any photos of tidy and well-engineered fuel lines which might help me to do it right, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Ben
tullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 22:30   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullis View Post
Hello,

I'm working on my 1968 P1800S coupé and I don't like the look of the fuel pipe running from the tank to the pump. It looks like someone has just replaced what was originally there with a bit of something they had handy.

It's a flexible, clear, reinforced pipe, which isn't properly clipped to the chassis. All in all, I wouldn't trust it beyond the end of my drive.

I see from Brookhouse that they sell metal fuel pipe that was used from 1964 to 1969 (link)

I've just bought a Pierburg fuel pump to replace my AC model that was too badly worn, but I'm wondering of someone could please share some best practices for how I should renew this fuel line, between the tank and the pump.

Would it be better to fit the metal pipe, or would people use a flexible hose these days? If you would use a solid pipe like this, where and how it terminate to a flexible hose, because I'm assuming that it wouldn't be solid all the way to the pump.

I'm not necessarily looking for 100% original spec, but the safest option.
If you have any photos of tidy and well-engineered fuel lines which might help me to do it right, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Ben
Use 8mm bore copper pipe , plastic will melt in a fire and make things 10 times as bad .
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 23:30   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ben;

The Fuelline from Tank to engine bay should be a hard-line, properly supported to the underbody with clips...any soft-line will be a POs "repair"...OK for a temporary repair of a pinhole (I've used the trick of splitting a piece of fuel hose and wire-tying it over a pinhole as a temporary repair myself!), but it's anyone's guess if "a flexible, clear, reinforced pipe, which isn't properly clipped to the chassis" is even fuel compatible...I recommend you replace it with a proper 5/16" steel hard-line as it was from the factory (sorry Clan! ...maybe he prefers the ease with which Cu can be formed by hand).

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 01:39   #4
c1800
Master Member

Steel, hard to bend and can rust, copper easy to bend but can work harden and fail. Steel line is a devil to bend to the correct angles and requires a special bender.

Best alternative, Cunifer, a copper, nickel and iron alloy. Easy to bend,won’t corrode nor work harden. Used for modern brake lines as well, including Volvo.

Have replaced my fuel lines and brake lines with it. Very easy to route and bend with your hands.

https://cunifer.com/

You might find that the clips are still there under the car, if not you can get new ones, probably at brookhouse, or at a regular auto supply , they’re fairly generic. The screw holes for the clips are undoubtedly there.

The hardline will terminate somewhere about where the distributor is. Search for pictures on the internet of Volvo Amazon Engine Bay, you’ll get some idea from those.

Here’s an excellent site with loads of info, including parts books, history and repair manuals. You could also check the sales brochures and owners manuals there might be photos of the engine bay in there too.

https://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/

Last edited by c1800; Nov 17th, 2021 at 03:19.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 19:28   #5
tullis

Brilliant! Many thanks all.
I will look at replacing it with cunifer if I can.
tullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 14:57   #6
Splinelube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Use 8mm bore copper pipe , plastic will melt in a fire and make things 10 times as bad .
A friend had a pretty severe collision in his Toyota with fire. The fuel line was some form of plastic and the Corolla went up in a blaze/
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1800, fuel