Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 (185) No boost and weird whoosh noise!

Views : 482

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 23:58   #1
Mkc2bad

Default XC90 (185) No boost and weird whoosh noise!

Bit of a strange one - Car was running fine yesterday, wife went to use the car this morning for school run and its in permeant limp mode with Engine warning message on the dash. Scanned with VIDA and coming back with ECM-1507 turbo control - Too low pressure.

now the weird part - When driving, it feels like the turbo is not spooling at all, and I can hear/feel air is being pushed into the cabin via the air vents that feed the windscreen.
This gets noticeably more forceful the harder you accelerate. To get the car up to any speed at all, its actually better to be really gentle on the throttle and build it up slowly. Any attempt at trying to make the turbo spool send a rush of air and noise into the cabin, and considerably hinders any sort of progress.

Any ideas please? I had a look from on top, and took the tray off underneath and couldn't see any split or disconnected pipes.

As a side note - A few months back, the car was having issues boosting, so replaced the MAP sensor after vida threw up a few codes (one that plugs in ontop of the intercooler pipe) and all was well until yesterday.

Cheers
Mike
Mkc2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 04:51   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

You need to pressure test some piping ,intercooling etc
I use a top of a drinkflask where a bicycle pump can be connected en put it in a certain pipe track while blocking the other end off with the other half of the flask seated in with a clamp.
A weak point is the silencer rubber orange seal, it tends to rupture its located under the engine at the back.
But also a hose or pipe can be split or a loose clamp
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 11:38   #3
Mkc2bad

Thanks, I will have a better look today now its actually light outside. Would a failed intercooler display these symptoms? I replaced the radiator last year (was still on the original) and developed a small leak. I noticed that the intercooler was looking a little rough but didnt replace as it was/has been performing fine.

Mike
Mkc2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 00:15   #4
5cilinder
Premier Member

Sure ,it can, its part of the pressured piping, small leaks can be tolerated by the sensor alarming .
The intercooler itself can be pressure tested with the method mentioned above.

In fact when i got some leak noises on the highway and alarming on my torque sensors/codes.
I did test the intercooler first... which was leaking, replaced the intercooler.... and still major leaking ...which turned out to be the silencer seal rupture.
So without the silencer seal leakage ... only the leak in the intercooler was still sufficient to fall in the sensor tollerances, those leakes start small but will go larger.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote