Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy tappets? Newbie help

Views : 1777

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2021, 15:17   #11
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
That 2 stroke oil is not needed anymore....the blended bio-diesel lubricates the hp pump even better.

https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2005-01-3672/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76610215013879

Also the dopes in the 2 stroke oil can form deposits in the injectors

https://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-strok...ical-study.php
I'm saying what myself and millions around the world use and we find the effect beneficial.
I've never seen any data to show an improvement but the increase in smoothness is without question in my experience and my car still returns 44 mpg around town.

If my injectors aren't gummed up at 209k miles, they're unlikely to be any time soon so I'll just carry on.
A lot of the things people do on this forum won't be supported by the official sources so everyone should of course make their own decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 15:37   #12
5cilinder
Premier Member

Im not saying its really bad . If you used it 20/15 years ago when there was low sulphur diesel introduced(without biodiesel)....it could then prevent major wear on the pumps then...
But the lubricity of biodiesel is excellent .... (not in the crankcase with a dpf but thats another discussion).
Running wise and smoothness 2 stroke oil can have some benefits not lubricity but viscosity wise...it can improve spraypattern on weared injectors or even improve injection timing on line pumps.
But i think if your pump and injectors are not damaged it can be a placebo effect

Last edited by 5cilinder; Sep 19th, 2021 at 15:42.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 16:11   #13
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
it can be a placebo effect
Of course that's possible but I've used it on several occasions where people who have no idea have noticed the difference so the effect does seem to be more than placebo.
Fuel quality can vary too so on an international forum, having an alternative option is worthwhile.

The speed of the effect is notable too as it can be instantly noticed on the next start up or within just a few short miles depending on how it was mixed.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 17:44   #14
Pills74

I have put a video up of when I'm driving, it's not very clear untill half way through but u can hear it ticking like mad. Not sure if it's uploaded or not?
Pills74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 17:51   #15
Pills74

No I havnt I can't work out how to do it🤣🤣🤣
The Following User Says Thank You to Pills74 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 18:41   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Easiest is to put the video on YouTube or similar and provide the link.
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 20:48   #17
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Of course that's possible but I've used it on several occasions where people who have no idea have noticed the difference so the effect does seem to be more than placebo.
Fuel quality can vary too so on an international forum, having an alternative option is worthwhile.

The speed of the effect is notable too as it can be instantly noticed on the next start up or within just a few short miles depending on how it was mixed.
If it seems to help then use it
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 17:02   #18
Pills74

Hi all, just an update. Part of the noise turned out to be number 5 injector. I bought a second hand one off ebay and swapped them over and the majority of the noise has gone (the loud knocking tapping) but I'm still experiencing a very similar noise but not as loud so back to ebay again. I took it too Barry at Crapstone garage in Yelverton who's experience was second to none. He listened to it on tick over and said that injector and maybe that one!! Well he was right on one so I'm hoping he's got it on the second one as well. All he did was listen carefully. I will keep you posted on the outcome but at the moment I'm thankful it wasn't the tappets (so far).
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 22:21   #19
Pills74

Hi all, just an update. For weeks I've been farting around with the injectors. I've been moving them around and finally decided they were OK. I then purchased a leak back test kit and tested them. 2 were slower than the rest so I replaced one with a spare. Refitted them all with new clamps and washers and the car feels great. So one injector is not great but I can live with that for a bit. Anyway a nice little hack for getting the spring locking ring on the injector, open them up a small bit with a screwdrivers to get it over the end of the injector, get a cable tie to fit in the first groove cutting it so it touches and fits end to end in the groove and then put some electrical tape over it to keep it in. Get hold of some 3/4 inch copper tube (imperial tube)and slide it over the injector, tap the tube so it knocks the ring over the first groove. At this point the tape will have been pushed up the injector shaft with the ring, clean off the tape residual then carry on tapping the tube until the ring clip seats itself in the top groove, check it out making sure its all the way home and done, ready to refit👍 I only stuck myself once with the screwdriver in the thumb, but so worth it, what a different😊😊 hope this helps.