Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 fueling issue

Views : 1137

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2021, 18:32   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default 360 fueling issue

1986 360 B200E LE jetronic.

It has been sat without any fuel for about 9 years, I have started it every now and then and out a jerry can of fuel in it here and there. When I got it out this time though the fuel pump was very noisy and the fuel gauge had stopped working. It lasted 220 miles before it starting stalling, I assumed it was the fuel pump fuel to the noise it is making and the fact it was shuddering and losing power in time with the noise of the fuel pump.

I have changed the pre pump filter as it was clogged with rust, swapped the fuel pump but no difference and the brand new pump after about 5 minutes started making the same noise as the old pump, I could hear the noise (sounds like a pump struggling) in the engine bay too and heard it was coming from the fuel filter there, so I've just fitted a genuine volvo fuel filter (old one also contained a lot of rust and sediment) so I cranked it with no filter on and drained the fuel in to a tub to make sure it was coming through clear. It was fine for about 20 seconds then the noise came back but not quite as loud as before. I took it up the road and it judders every now and then, full throttle just doesn't work it is like a slow crawl up to 30mph but if I back off a bit it accelerates better. The noise of the pump varies in pitch and loudness but occasionally it will go quiet and that is when it is at its worst and loses power completely.

I've checked the auxiliary fusebox and the connections are in perfect condition, the fog light and fuel pump fuses both measured 64 ohms of resistance. I swapped the relay for the Hella grille and the fuel pump around, no difference and the spot lights didn't do anything weird so I can rule out the relay.

I've tried another used crank sensor that I know is fine but no difference there either.

Anyone got any ideas?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 19:48   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'm going to try running it from a Jerry can to see if the tank is blocked and not letting enough fuel out.
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 23:12   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

In case anyone has this issue in future and finds this thread I have fixed it today.

The issue was the outlet was blocked with rust and the tank was rusty inside. I lifted the rear seat up and removed the fuel level sender, drained the tank and hoovered all the rust out then blew up the fuel outlet hose with an air compressor, put it all back together and filled with fuel, all back up and running now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 17:07   #4
Joe Harding
Premier Member

You shoved a hoover, with electrical brush motor into a petrol tank? That was brave!
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 20:07   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
You shoved a hoover, with electrical brush motor into a petrol tank? That was brave!
Yep and I will be doing it again as the problem has returned after 50 miles if driving, not quite so severe but bad enough to take it off the road again.

Fuel vapours would have to get all the way up the hoover line, then through an almost full bag of dog hairs and filth before going through another filter to even get near the motor let alone inside the motor.