Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Estate Rear screen demist..

Views : 390

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2021, 23:00   #1
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Default V70 Estate Rear screen demist..

Hi Guys, just wondering if any of you have had the rear screen - heated window fail on a V70 Estate.

My heated mirrors still seem to be working, but zilch demist at the rear screen.

I've checked the continuity of the screen matrix and that seems ok, however the power I'm getting back there is about 11.5 volts. Surely this is wrong isn't it. Is there some sort of relay or resistor that could cause this.

My fault I should have sorted it during the summer when it wasn't needed.

As always.. any pointers in the right direction will be gratefully received..

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 23:19   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I don't know if this will be of any assistance, 'tdidave', but, before I bought it, my 2000 V70 apparently had a similar issue which also affected the RWW operation. There is a bill in the history file for repairing the wiring in the vicinity of the tailgate and evidence on the car bears testimony to the fact that work has indeed been done in that area. Could failed wiring possibly be at the root of your current problems?

Regards, John.
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 23:35   #3
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I don't know if this will be of any assistance, 'tdidave', but, before I bought it, my 2000 V70 apparently had a similar issue which also affected the RWW operation. There is a bill in the history file for repairing the wiring in the vicinity of the tailgate and evidence on the car bears testimony to the fact that work has indeed been done in that area. Could failed wiring possibly be at the root of your current problems?

Regards, John.

Thanks John.. my first suspect area was the where the wiring loops from the body to the tailgate. I felt sure I'd find my problem there, but when I did do a bit of investigating the wiring supplying power to the tailgate inside the car was only delivering about 11 volts or there abouts, and this seems suspect to me. Maybe not enough to power the heated window.

Dave..

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 15:53   #4
pff

can you measure resistance across the back window from the connector in the tailgate?
the same relay switches the mirrors and window heater but they are on different pins.
you should get roughly battery voltage across the heating element
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 12:21   #5
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
can you measure resistance across the back window from the connector in the tailgate?
the same relay switches the mirrors and window heater but they are on different pins.
you should get roughly battery voltage across the heating element

Thanks very much for that advice pff.. I've been otherwise pre-occupied the past few days, but when I get a free minute I'm going to chase this problem further including your recommendations..

Dave..