Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No More Polestar Engineered models!!

Views : 4091

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2022, 11:15   #21
Rocinante
Master Member

As for the whole Polestar thing, it makes sense that Volvo no longer use it. It was a racing firm / performance division of Volvo, but is now an electric car company. It doesn't seem to make sense any more to use as before.

They could of course offer a similar performance package with a different name though.

As for not buying a new Volvo without Polestar, surely you should try their offerings before dismissing it completely. The Polestar offerings were a software upgrade of gearbox and engine on the existing models, (perhaps there was more to it). So the newer models may simply have the level of performance from the gearbox and engine, that the old Polestar versions did, as standard, or perhaps not ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2022, 14:27   #22
bluey_xc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As for the whole Polestar thing, it makes sense that Volvo no longer use it. It was a racing firm / performance division of Volvo, but is now an electric car company. It doesn't seem to make sense any more to use as before.

They could of course offer a similar performance package with a different name though.

As for not buying a new Volvo without Polestar, surely you should try their offerings before dismissing it completely. The Polestar offerings were a software upgrade of gearbox and engine on the existing models, (perhaps there was more to it). So the newer models may simply have the level of performance from the gearbox and engine, that the old Polestar versions did, as standard, or perhaps not ?
Agree on your comments here - the SPA Polestar engineered (19-) were just mild software tune, then throwing on a version of the older Polestar wheels, brakes and Ohlinsfor continuity... The Original PE V60 (15-6) in the 3.0l form was vastly different in the engineering - new turbo, exhaust, custom engine mapping (about 40hp more), custom mapping on the haldex (which most people don't know that when turn off ESC becomes rear drive biased!), custom interior and unique colour (rebel blue). I belive 47 differences from the standard car and were built by sending completed SE models to Polestar racing to then take apart and rebuild themselves.

Unfortunately they never sold mostly as so tax inefficient on emissions and ended up with a lot of unsold as no PCP option (one price of £49,500 so more expensive than Audi S4/C43 - almost to cost of M3/C63) - only 120 of the 3.0l and 100 of the 2.0l. Hence the newer once being more badge engineered and attractive as a company car in order to sell in higher numbers. But still very much a niche car which hasn't sold well.

And yes, I have one of the original 120 cars ..... alongside the my22 XC90 B5 which was specificed to match the V60 PE as close as possible in looks and equipment! lol
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2022, 08:23   #23
smithsc

I've got an S60 PE on order since beginning of Oct which apparently will be one of the last ones in the country.

I bought it as I think it looks great with the 20" wheels and the gold brakes, I agree its nothing more than a normal S60 Recharge 455bhp.

I just like the look and the niche'ness off it (apparently their wont be many on the road) plus the finance deal I got from Volvo was stupid its costing me around £20 more per month than my BMW 135i xDrive.
smithsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2022, 22:09   #24
Harni

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsc View Post
I've got an S60 PE on order since beginning of Oct which apparently will be one of the last ones in the country.

I bought it as I think it looks great with the 20" wheels and the gold brakes, I agree its nothing more than a normal S60 Recharge 455bhp.

I just like the look and the niche'ness off it (apparently their wont be many on the road) plus the finance deal I got from Volvo was stupid its costing me around £20 more per month than my BMW 135i xDrive.
If you go by howmanyleft.com, there is around 40 S60 PE on the road so very low numbers. I bought mine for the same reason, it’s a nice looking car (regardless of the PE additions) and for the money, comes with a lot of toys, safety and comfort.

You won’t be disappointed
Harni is offline   Reply With Quote