Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Reliable are Older Volvo XC60's with 100k+ Miles?

Views : 2862

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2021, 13:13   #1
88fofo

Default How Reliable are Older Volvo XC60's with 100k+ Miles?

possibly thinking about one of those, anyone knows how reliable they are once they go past 100k+ Miles? (looking at facelift 2013-2016 models probably)

Anyone has owned one of these at these or much higher miles?
The plan is to get one and put on another 100k miles on it without much problems, Doable or not with XC60?

Have viewed 3-4 of them,however I was able to come across one which was totally knackered with seriously obvious engine problems, than another one which was smoking from engine with only like 60k miles+ have heard that most of them suffer egr problems...

I really like the XC60 ,however not sure if it's wise to get one or go for something like honda cr-v which although isn't as nice looking and doesn't feels as nice probably won't give you any troubles even if it already has a lot of miles.

Last edited by 88fofo; May 21st, 2021 at 13:15.
88fofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 14:45   #2
JGEM

Default Reliability

If you regard a car as an appliance and just want the utmost reliability and lowest cost of ownership then a Volvo is probably not for you. Japanese cars are better engineered for reliability / durability mechanically and usually cheaper to repair.

My 2009 XC60 D5 is coming up for 140,000 miles and I've done the last 100,000 of those approx. I've spent money on a few repairs which would likely have not happened on a Japanese car (radiator failed at 6 years old, windscreen needed resealing, egr flap valves needed replacing, tappet cover gasket needed resealing. None of them cripplingly expensive, but still several thousands dollars all up.

As my XC60 ages more stuff is starting to fail - the new AC compressor required last year was the single most expensive car repair in my 42 years of motoring.

I do my own brakes and suspension work and compared to dealer costs I've saved several thousand more over the last 7 years.

I don't regret buying my XC60 and still enjoy driving it (though lately I'm mostly relegated to the V50 as work transport). I regard the purchase of a car as more than just a financial decision, factors like safety, driving enjoyment, style and brand loyalty have influenced my decision to drive a Volvo.

Many years ago I read a story about a man who wanted to find a female partner with really big breasts. In the end he found the ideal woman, but she was a little bit crazy. He confided in a friend "I can put up with a lot of aggravation for a woman with those attributes". Well maybe that's the way it is with Volvos for me, they have attributes I desire (especially safety) and in return I can put up with a fair amount of aggravation ! Luckily the aggravation has not been at a level my wallet or patience cannot endure so far!
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JGEM For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 16:31   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

I doubt if this fairy tail car you are looking for exists, there are far too many variables. As you have already found in your search. So much depends on what others before you have done or not done, even then there is no guarantee that you won’t fall fowl of an expensive repair tomorrow.
Buying any car with 100000 + on the clock is going to be a risk, there are some 250000 Volvos out there, more than any Honda I would think.
My opinion only 😊
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 17:18   #4
88fofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
I doubt if this fairy tail car you are looking for exists, there are far too many variables. As you have already found in your search. So much depends on what others before you have done or not done, even then there is no guarantee that you won’t fall fowl of an expensive repair tomorrow.
Buying any car with 100000 + on the clock is going to be a risk, there are some 250000 Volvos out there, more than any Honda I would think.
My opinion only 😊
Not sure what you are on about, for most decent models 100k is nothing...For some...there's nothing left at 100k

I have my current honda at 230k & have barely spent anything on it.
I know some older Volvo models are incredibly good & reliable, however I have no idea about the XC60...

I'm under no illusion - I'm considering getting a well used car ,It's not really about the brand of the car but exact models and how well the previous owners have taken care of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to 88fofo For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 17:31   #5
Adrian888

If you want to do that mileage with a diesel you need a Touareg V6tdi or any VAG vehicle with the same engine. Some Merc diesels will cover even more.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 21:30   #6
88fofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
If you want to do that mileage with a diesel you need a Touareg V6tdi or any VAG vehicle with the same engine. Some Merc diesels will cover even more.
Fairly sure Touareg's are made out of cheese and will make you bankrupt well before they hit 100k?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 88fofo For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2021, 21:52   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88fofo View Post
possibly thinking about one of those, anyone knows how reliable they are once they go past 100k+ Miles? (looking at facelift 2013-2016 models probably)

Anyone has owned one of these at these or much higher miles?
The plan is to get one and put on another 100k miles on it without much problems, Doable or not with XC60?

Have viewed 3-4 of them,however I was able to come across one which was totally knackered with seriously obvious engine problems, than another one which was smoking from engine with only like 60k miles+ have heard that most of them suffer egr problems...

I really like the XC60 ,however not sure if it's wise to get one or go for something like honda cr-v which although isn't as nice looking and doesn't feels as nice probably won't give you any troubles even if it already has a lot of miles.
No one can definitely tell you that you won’t “have much problems” or not. It depends how the car has been looked after in the first place. If you buy one with decent service records, there’s a good chance that it’ll soldier on. As for having no issues or not many issues, who knows? Generally, they’re decent cars though, but do need maintenance of some sort like any car does.

If your heart is set on an XC60, then I’d suggest you buy one with as low miles as possible with a good service history record.

If you want reliability, stick with Japanese cars. No one comes close to them in that regard.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 00:14   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Well I am doing just what you are contemplating. I bought a one owner, full dealer history 2015 XC60 to replace my XC90 which had 185k on it. Had it 19 months now and done circa 40k miles (has 134k on it now). It’s had two scheduled services with no extra work needed, failure/issues so far have been 1 broken rear spring and 1 brake light bulb. I also had to flush out the windscreen washer bottle as cheap supermarket washer fluid turned to slime and I’ve had a new set of tyres and front brakes, but they’re all maintenance issues.

Im looking forward to the next 60k.

Whilst there are no guarantees in life, the trick is to first buy a car with no problems to start with, and that’s likely to be one with full dealer history. Facelifts are preferable as is Lux spec with nicer instruments and the better headlights.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 22nd, 2021 at 00:19.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2021, 07:52   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find a reliable example of the Volvo model you want if you know enough about cars to weed out the dross and the dodgy sellers. Try to get one with ideally only one owner and full evidence of having been properly serviced and looked after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
...Whilst there are no guarantees in life, the trick is to first buy a car with no problems to start with, and that’s likely to be one with full dealer history. Facelifts are preferable as is Lux spec with nicer instruments and the better headlights.
I strongly agree with this, full dealer history is going to mean that every little niggle should have been picked up and properly dealt with, all software updates will have been done and the correct spec engine oil will definitely have been used. Additionally I've found to my benefit several times that a full Volvo history will help with goodwill contributions from Volvo UK.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 10:50   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
......full dealer history is going to mean that every little niggle should have been picked up and properly dealt with, all software updates will have been done and the correct spec engine oil will definitely have been used.....
In my mind it also says a lot about the owners attitude to maintain the car and how much that costs. You're much more likely to find four premium brand matching tyres on a car with full dealer history etc.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: