Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 II Performance Brakes/Pads

Views : 1132

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 00:07   #11
Murph7355

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Just because you're happy to bimble about doesn't mean thats how we all drive around, some of us like to push on when the road and conditions allow.
Unfortunately "when conditions allow" is rare in the UK.

I don't bimble, but the brakes have never, ever been lacking. I don't have the Polestar upgrade on our current XC90, but if I wanted a bit more vim, that would be what I'd spend my money on first.

It's an internet forum. You post openly, you get what you're given in terms of advice....whether it's what you expected or not
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 12:30   #12
Rich850R
Master Member

So standard discs and pads are all ok for emergency service XC90s who are often driving on the absolute limit, but not for joe bloggs tootling around in his XC90.
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 12:51   #13
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich850R View Post
So standard discs and pads are all ok for emergency service XC90s who are often driving on the absolute limit, but not for joe bloggs tootling around in his XC90.
What is wrong with you people, a person asks for information on parts if they are available, something they want to spend their own hard earned cash on. What difference does it make to you if they do or they don't install them?

They didn't ask for your opinion if you would or wouldn't install them or if you think they make a difference, just simply if anyone knew if they were available (which they are but not massively cheap). They even mentioned it would be for aesthetics as well as actual increased performance.

Just for info, my brakes are still as they came out of the factory, they just happen to be massive 400mm cross drilled Akerbono units with 6 pot Akerbono calipers, so yes, I'm happy with 'stock'.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 19:30   #14
Murph7355

Quote:
What is wrong with you people, a person asks for information on parts if they are available, something they want to spend their own hard earned cash on. What difference does it make to you if they do or they don't install them?

They didn't ask for your opinion if you would or wouldn't install them or if you think they make a difference, just simply if anyone knew if they were available (which they are but not massively cheap). They even mentioned it would be for aesthetics as well as actual increased performance.

Just for info, my brakes are still as they came out of the factory, they just happen to be massive 400mm cross drilled Akerbono units with 6 pot Akerbono calipers, so yes, I'm happy with 'stock'.
You don't seem to be appreciating how the internet works.

Opinion posted. Responses received (some maybe what was wanted, some not). Move on.

If you don't like posts, don't read them (applies to everyone). If you really don't like them, set up a site and moderate.

It's not hard.

The reason these parts don't really exist is perhaps indicated in the responses on here.

It's all good. Nobody's hurt other than a few grammes of carbon for page impressions.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 22:13   #15
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiecb19 View Post
Hi All,

I need to replace the brakes and pads on my D5 XC90 II (2018). I was hoping to replace them with some performance discs/pads, ideally drilled/groove brakes (yes, I am a boy racer stuck in a middle-aged man's body), but I'm struggling to find many options. Euro Car Parts can't assist, neither can local garages from Kwik Fit, ATS, Halfords etc. Looking online, I've found a brand called MTEC, but they don't have the greatest reviews on Trustpilot, plus I've never heard of them. I'm not out for a full brake conversion (even if Brembo did one), I'm jus trying to give myself something extra in performance as well as look. I have a garage who can fit them if I supply the parts. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help.
I used mtec brakes on my Abarth Punto Evo Esseesse, it runs 2 piece floating discs and they were only available from dealer at over 1k, I didn't mind when I was tracking and competing with it but these days it just runs to the shops etc, just wanted some decent discs that still looked the part, MTEC did some 2 piece fixed and they've been great even did the odd trackday and event, it was all good, thumbs up from me.

If they've not done that particular setup before you may need to send them a sample of a stock disc unless you are good at engineering diagrams.

Certainly worth a call.

heicosportiv do a lovely 2 piece 6 pot set up for 6k if you are feeling spendy, 2.5kg a corner lighter than the Polestar Akebonos

What size are the stock discs, the Polestar are 400mm, on my Punto for example the sports discs were no bigger than stock so you could just swap out for the light floaters if you wanted but that was because the car was sporty in the first place, I'd hazard a guess that is not the case for the Volvo.

Last edited by sandys; Mar 28th, 2024 at 22:33.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 06:01   #16
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph7355 View Post
You don't seem to be appreciating how the internet works.

Opinion posted. Responses received (some maybe what was wanted, some not). Move on.

If you don't like posts, don't read them (applies to everyone). If you really don't like them, set up a site and moderate.

It's not hard.

The reason these parts don't really exist is perhaps indicated in the responses on here.

It's all good. Nobody's hurt other than a few grammes of carbon for page impressions.
I fully understand how the internet works and its just disappointing that there are trolls like you out there that add very little actual value (or shall we go with nothing in your case) to forums like this one.

The parts the OP is asking for are available so why shouldn't they feel like they should install them just because a handfull of narrow minded keyboard warriors go off on rants for no reason at all.

Old Mar 30th, 2024, 05:56   #17
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
I fully understand how the internet works and its just disappointing that there are trolls like you out there that add very little actual value (or shall we go with nothing in your case) to forums like this one.

The parts the OP is asking for are available so why shouldn't they feel like they should install them just because a handfull of narrow minded keyboard warriors go off on rants for no reason at all.
Keyboard warriors? Come on snowflake lighten up my little cherub!
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 06:21   #18
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Keyboard warriors? Come on snowflake lighten up my little cherub!
And another one arrives. Only a keyboard warrior would take offence to to that term.

Snowflake........ You could be funny if you weren't so sadly deluded.

Old Mar 30th, 2024, 10:48   #19
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
And another one arrives. Only a keyboard warrior would take offence to to that term.

Snowflake........ You could be funny if you weren't so sadly deluded.
Says the guy taking the click bait. Enjoy Easter!
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 12:54   #20
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Says the guy taking the click bait. Enjoy Easter!
If throwing out 'click bait' is the only way you can brighten up your sad little life then I really do pity you and I would feel sorry for you but whats the point, maybe its time to grow up and stop being a **** (read into that however you wish) but I cant see that happening anytime soon.

Now lets give this thread back to what it was intended for, helping (or not helping) a person decide if performance brake disc's are worth fitting.