Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking at a 144 to buy

Views : 2951

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2023, 17:05   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default Looking at a 144 to buy

I'm a 940 guy, but I've been looking to buy another car, preferably older. A decent 144 just popped up on the local market, but I don't know the first thing about these cars. It's supposedly a 1.8S, from 1967.

What are the major downfalls of this model?
What are the strenghts?

What should I read to give me a basic notion of of this model?

Thanks,
Salvador

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jun 5th, 2023 at 17:08.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 17:59   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
I'm a 940 guy, but I've been looking to buy another car, preferably older. A decent 144 just popped up on the local market, but I don't know the first thing about these cars. It's supposedly a 1.8S, from 1967.

What are the major downfalls of this model?
What are the strenghts?

What should I read to give me a basic notion of of this model?

Thanks,
Salvador

The newest 1 series car will now be 49 years old, Salvador, plenty of time for it to rust. Later cars, 2s, 7s and 9s are all better protected - the later, the better, generally speaking. There are exceptions, some early 2 series cars seemed particularly susceptible in my experience.

The steering is, unlike later cars, not rack and pinion. It is naturally on the heavy side. None of ours had PS - not sure if it was available on the 4 pots. I think some cars have been retrofitted with a PS system from a 164, or you might consider an electric PS conversion (£££).

Timing is by gears, not chain or belt. It is a steel hub with a fibre outer which deteriorates and can separate with age. All steel replacements used to be available, but, while more reliable, they were noisier in use. I don't know if they are still available, but I'm sure someone will.

They are more spartan than modern cars - static seat belts (front only), keep-fit windows, that sort of thing. They were also much easier to break into; the opening quarter-lights (the catches often fell off) were a particular weak point.

I sold my last 144 in 1995 and it was an old car then. It was the 2.0 single carb 4-speeder. It was noisy at motorway speeds. My 145 had O/D and was much better in that respect. If you have a choice, definitely get one with O/D.

On the plus side - oodles of charm and the immense satisfaction of keeping an old bus going. Simple mechanics. No computers in sight; the only thing you will need to reset if you disconnect the battery is the clock!

If you have the time, knowledge, facilities, expertise and enthusiasm, one could make a great hobby car. Although certainly possible, I'm not sure it would make such a good 'daily' today, especially if you are doing big mileages.

Regards, John,
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 18:16   #3
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
The newest 1 series car will now be 49 years old, Salvador, plenty of time for it to rust. Later cars, 2s, 7s and 9s are all better protected - the later, the better, generally speaking. There are exceptions, some early 2 series cars seemed particularly susceptible in my experience.

The steering is, unlike later cars, not rack and pinion. It is naturally on the heavy side. None of ours had PS - not sure if it was available on the 4 pots. I think some cars have been retrofitted with a PS system from a 164, or you might consider an electric PS conversion (£££).

Timing is by gears, not chain or belt. It is a steel hub with a fibre outer which deteriorates and can separate with age. All steel replacements used to be available, but, while more reliable, they were noisier in use. I don't know if they are still available, but I'm sure someone will.

They are more spartan than modern cars - static seat belts (front only), keep-fit windows, that sort of thing. They were also much easier to break into; the opening quarter-lights (the catches often fell off) were a particular weak point.

I sold my last 144 in 1995 and it was an old car then. It was the 2.0 single carb 4-speeder. It was noisy at motorway speeds. My 145 had O/D and was much better in that respect. If you have a choice, definitely get one with O/D.

On the plus side - oodles of charm and the immense satisfaction of keeping an old bus going. Simple mechanics. No computers in sight; the only thing you will need to reset if you disconnect the battery is the clock!

If you have the time, knowledge, facilities, expertise and enthusiasm, one could make a great hobby car. Although certainly possible, I'm not sure it would make such a good 'daily' today, especially if you are doing big mileages.

Regards, John,
Hello John, thx for taking the time to share the knowledge. The car seems to be rust free. It's clearly a garage car, and also I'm in Portugal so, no slat on the roads or rain 24/7. There are lots of rusty car, but not as much as in the UK or other places.
Paint also looks original. The car looks to be quite original. Don't know the mileage. But they are asking only 1100€. If it was near I would go see it, but it's a bit far, so it warrants more consideration.

I wouldn't daily it, but I also don't put much mileage on my daily 940 either. I think I would be ok with the lack of modern features.
I grew up inside a red Mini Morris, my father had 2. He sold the last one (against my wishes) before I got my license and then the prices went bonkers. I wanted to buy one 18 years ago, when it wasn't yet too late, for my first car, but was advised against and it's one of my biggest regrets carwise. I know I would still drive it if I had bought it, an hugly brown Mini 1000 for 1k €.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 19:08   #4
Moomoo
VOC Member

Mini nostalgia for me , disappeared after driving one for the first time in years.

I remember a former girlfriend holding her copious busom as I threw my lowered Cooper through the Derbyshire lanes.

Ah! The nostalgia is back!😍 Great cars!🥳
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 19:15   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Mini nostalgia for me , disappeared after driving one for the first time in years.

I remember a former girlfriend holding her copious busom as I threw my lowered Cooper through the Derbyshire lanes.

Dead man walking
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 19:27   #6
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post

The memory of my father's second Mini is forever seared in my mind. I was about 7 or so, heard an unfamilar but persistent "Beeeeep Beeeeep". When I finally went to peek outside of the 2ond floor window of my Grandmas' house to see what was going on, there it was, my father and my mother, both 150cm high, peeking up at me, from inside that small red car. It felt like the car was made for their size, and mine. For me, it was like an oversized toy. I love that thing. Then again, I never, never drove one myself. I often think if I ever drive one, the nostalgia will probably die.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 14:25   #7
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi SalvadorP

I'm also a 940 owner for the last couple of years, and I must admit I've been rather taken by the quirks of running an 'old' 940 as my daily.

So much so, that I've been on the hunt for a 145 for almost a year or so, unfortunately here in the UK they seem not to crop up for sale very often, and when they do the prices are fairly high.

I think John's outline of pros & cons seem to cover most things, and is from past experience.

Just last week I went 250 miles to look at a supposed good sound 145, but it was full of rust and the owner wanted £4k minimum..... If you can get a sound 144 for EUR 1.1k then its probably worth a look.

Obviously depends on what you are looking for, and the local market in Spain.

Best of luck, Cheers,
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 15:04   #8
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi SalvadorP

I'm also a 940 owner for the last couple of years, and I must admit I've been rather taken by the quirks of running an 'old' 940 as my daily.

So much so, that I've been on the hunt for a 145 for almost a year or so, unfortunately here in the UK they seem not to crop up for sale very often, and when they do the prices are fairly high.

I think John's outline of pros & cons seem to cover most things, and is from past experience.

Just last week I went 250 miles to look at a supposed good sound 145, but it was full of rust and the owner wanted £4k minimum..... If you can get a sound 144 for EUR 1.1k then its probably worth a look.

Obviously depends on what you are looking for, and the local market in Spain.

Best of luck, Cheers,
Steve
I think it was Portugal, Steve, but that occurred to me as well! I wonder what the cost and administration involved in importing one to the UK would be ...

Salvador mentioned that the one in which he is interested is a 1.8 (B18). I don't think that was exported to the UK. Certainly all of ours (and we had several) were B20s. Our first ever Volvo was a 145E (Injection - rare in a 1972 car) and that was a real flier. I think that you / he might find the 1.8 a little under-powered by today's standards.

Regards, John.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 15:18   #9
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I think it was Portugal, Steve, but that occurred to me as well! I wonder what the cost and administration involved in importing one to the UK would be ...

Salvador mentioned that the one in which he is interested is a 1.8 (B18). I don't think that was exported to the UK. Certainly all of ours (and we had several) were B20s. Our first ever Volvo was a 145E (Injection - rare in a 1972 car) and that was a real flier. I think that you / he might find the 1.8 a little under-powered by today's standards.

Regards, John.
Ah my apologies regarding location, but yes, the thought of a LHD had occurred to me, but just from initial looking online it would appear most of the mainland European markets seem to have slightly higher values

https://www.theparking-cars.co.uk/us...volvo-145.html

Yes I think a 2.0 would definitely be preferred.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 20:50   #10
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Ah my apologies regarding location, but yes, the thought of a LHD had occurred to me, but just from initial looking online it would appear most of the mainland European markets seem to have slightly higher values

https://www.theparking-cars.co.uk/us...volvo-145.html

Yes I think a 2.0 would definitely be preferred.

Cheers
Steve
Sorry Steve I somehow missed your reply. Yes, this is Portugal I'm talking about. I moved back from Barcelona to my hometown.

I can take a look at the local market both in spain and Portugal if you want and teel you if I find something you might be interested. I can even help you facilitate the deal by talking to the seller or checking out the car for you if it's anywhere near me. No issues.

If you want let me know which specs you are looking for and what value and I'll look around.

In Portugal at least, consulting the tax brackets I can see the exact value I would have to pay to import a certain car. It's like a simulator that you import the characteristics and it shows you the value. I'm sure the UK must have something similar.