Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot filter full

Views : 1792

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2022, 15:28   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillBurton View Post
Now I'm confused...while waiting for the scanner to arrive I've driven the car a few times and just deleted the error msg that come up. Today went out and no msg at all and as far as I can tell car running fine. Although didn't want to chance giving it some welly just in case..Is this normal ?
it seems it might have regenerated the Particle filter on a recent journey then. The way to get rid of SOOT FILTER FULL is just to drive it for half an hour no high revs needed, just drive at 50 mph ..
This is how it works... If you are not driving it enough for a regeneration to occur when the filter is full it will post up that message.
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 19:02   #12
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
it seems it might have regenerated the Particle filter on a recent journey then. The way to get rid of SOOT FILTER FULL is just to drive it for half an hour no high revs needed, just drive at 50 mph ..
This is how it works... If you are not driving it enough for a regeneration to occur when the filter is full it will post up that message.
I remember the days when you could drive at 50mph for 30mins or more!
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 15:18   #13
Dannydude

Default DPF Soot

Let's not forget a very important detail. Using the correct engine oil specification.

For example, SAE 0W-30 ACEA A5/B5 Oil.

A5/B5 is a low ash producing oil, hence will not glog up a DPF the way an incorrectly specified oil would.

Last edited by Dannydude; Oct 4th, 2022 at 15:31. Reason: Removing information regarding vehicle specific oil, maybe different between vehicles.
Dannydude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dannydude For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 15:25   #14
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

If it’s spot then it would likely clear, if ash it wouldn’t. However it would need to be high miles or abused/misused for ash really….

In my opinion (Clan will know more than I however).
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 08:54   #15
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillBurton View Post
What's the best/cheapest reader to do this.
Also should I be concerned about the amount of oil I'm using. Since I bought the car in June I've done about 1500 miles short and medium journeys and used 3 to 4 litres of oil. Garage reported no oil leakes or oil in pipes etc. But did say faults could be down to crank/sump pressure. Would it be worthwhile getting compression test.
You might want to have a quick look through this thread, regarding your oil consumption.

"Root cause of high oil consumption in VEA diesel engines?"

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316027
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 21:46   #16
PhillBurton

Ok so I had the fault codes come up again on my way to Maccy D.
When I came out I put scan on and cleared faults but done a live scan on the way home.
About a 20 mile journey speeds avg between 30 and 50 in rush hour traffic.
No errors but DPF recharge all the way non stop got down to 2% then jumped back up to 34% and carried on decreasing. Post Exhaust Temp was around 600 and last recharge always said 2 miles even though at stages of the journey I was at a standstill.
Am I missing something here ?
PhillBurton is offline   Reply With Quote