Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leak on driver side window

Views : 563

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 13:12   #1
JAB88

Default Leak on driver side window

Hi all

Picked up my 2004 C70 last Sunday.

Went out to it today to find that there was what looked like water drops on the front driver seat.

I thought it was probably becuause I'd just got in the car and it was ****ing it down.

After going for a drive and coming back, I sat parked for a bit and noticed two dripping spots coming from that soft velvety material at the top of the window - images below:

https://ibb.co/5Wm1pL7
https://ibb.co/qFtzq4c

Is this an issue with the windshield seal perhaps, or seal from the window itself? You can't see in the pics, but the water or damper part of that fabric material looks wetter from above where the droplet is forming (if that makes sense?)

So far rest of the roof and other windows seem tight and secure, but really don't want to come out tomorrow to find a huge puddle! I've put a tea towel over the electric window switches as that was precise;y where the droplets were landing

Any advise or recommendations?

Thanks
James
JAB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 17:49   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Check the drain hole at the end of the roof seal - where the roof closes to the windscreen frame. Also check that the door window is closing tight to the seal in the photo. The four windows are adjusted to the seals. An easy test is to close the door with the window up and trap a piece of paper between the glass and seal and then test the resistance when pulling the paper free. If there is little resistance the window needs adjusting closer.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 19:28   #3
JAB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Check the drain hole at the end of the roof seal - where the roof closes to the windscreen frame. Also check that the door window is closing tight to the seal in the photo. The four windows are adjusted to the seals. An easy test is to close the door with the window up and trap a piece of paper between the glass and seal and then test the resistance when pulling the paper free. If there is little resistance the window needs adjusting closer.
Thanks for the details.

I just need to find the drain hole!

Do I put the paper into the seal itself or pass it through the window as in going over the to of the glass to inside the vehicle?
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 19:44   #4
JAB88

I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to use a car cover till I get it sorted - especially with this CRAP weather.

What's the consensus on there, yay or nay?
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 20:14   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB88 View Post
Thanks for the details.

I just need to find the drain hole!

Do I put the paper into the seal itself or pass it through the window as in going over the to of the glass to inside the vehicle?
Basically pinch the paper between the glass and seal. Then when door is closed, gently pull the paper out to feel the resistance. Do this around the window and you will soon determine where the gaps are, if any.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 19:17   #6
Woolley11

Got suspension stripped today

Nivomats seem ok - they need the rubber bellows replacing and a paint up but think they’ll go again.

As pointed out, OSR spring was broken which wouldn’t have helped at all.

Will get a pair of springs.

I also need a pair of spring bottom fixings as both 15mm nut/bolt fractured when I tried to remove them.

Started stripping OSR brakes too - so need new discs/pads. Hoping caliper ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7389.jpg (293.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7390.jpg (163.0 KB, 2 views)
Woolley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 19:25   #7
Woolley11

Anyone got best place for Springs and lower spring mounts.

Saw on eBay for the latter £151 !! 🤷🏼*♂️
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 19:31   #8
Woolley11

Ignore message - reposted in correct thread now !!
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 08:17   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Do you get any wind noise when driving? I.e. a whistling as though a window is not closed fully?

Another common issue on these cars is the window closes slightly too high and when you open and close the door, the window sits on top of the seal rather than under it - can usually be overcome by closing the door using your hand on the top of the window, rather than the door itself (of course the permanent cure is to readjust the window).

The seals have a very precise,intricate shape so that when the door closes the edge of the window contacts the seal and is then pushed up into a channel in its profile. Look closely you will see what I mean.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 12:26   #10
JAB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Do you get any wind noise when driving? I.e. a whistling as though a window is not closed fully?

Another common issue on these cars is the window closes slightly too high and when you open and close the door, the window sits on top of the seal rather than under it - can usually be overcome by closing the door using your hand on the top of the window, rather than the door itself (of course the permanent cure is to readjust the window).

The seals have a very precise,intricate shape so that when the door closes the edge of the window contacts the seal and is then pushed up into a channel in its profile. Look closely you will see what I mean.

I do actually get a fair bit of wind noise yes.

I noticed the other day that if I use the electric window and go right to the 'top' of it's motion, when looking at the (gully) seal on the small edge of the window (the one towards the windshield) there is about a 2-3mm gap from the true top.

So I pull the window up with my hand and this has stopped the rain coming in. I still get some wind noise however. I think the window cassette needs adjusting.

That said, I'm wondering whether wind deflectors would stop both the wind and rain if need be.