Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 daytime lights

Views : 8686

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 16:13   #11
GSMGuy
Master Member

The reason the dealer can't/won't do it is because, in the UK, the cars have been type approved WITH the DRL's on - removing the feature, therefore invalidates the type approval.

Jay, you say you have managed to order a new XC90 with them disabled, well after this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=75537 I'd be interested in VCUK's opinion of that.

Mind you, it's your car, and your life you are messing with - For me, part of the reason for having the XC90 is the safety aspect... With some drivers out there, we need all the passive and active safety we can get.. Other drivers do all sorts of silly and dangerous thing - Like turning off safety features on their cars....

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 16:29   #12
Jay

what is type approval ?

It does not invalidate your warranty or add extra to your premium. Volvo Uk prefer to have the DRL switched on but at the end of the day it is customer preferance and the option is available otherwise Volvo UK will and should disallow dealers to do this or not build cars with the drl option.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 17:21   #13
GSMGuy
Master Member

EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval - Introduction

Many industrial sectors are subject to some form of approval or certification system but road vehicles are a special case because of their importance to and impact upon society. Within Europe, two systems of type approval have been in existence for over 20 years. One is based around ECE (United Nations) Regulations and provides for approval of vehicle systems and separate components, but not whole vehicles. The other is EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) which is based around EC Directives and provides for the approval of whole vehicles, in addition to vehicle systems, and separate components.

EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval is a way of making sure vehicles are safe to use on the road and respect environmental considerations, without having to inspect and test every single one.

Under the EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval system, a prototype is tested. If it passes the tests and the production arrangements also pass inspection, then vehicles or components of the same type are approved for production and sale within Europe, without further testing.

Currently EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval applies to passenger cars. Over the next few years EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval will be extended to cover all new road vehicles and trailers. The new Directive will also cover national schemes for small series vehicles and individual approval.

VCUK DO forbid the dealers to turn them off...
We are just going around in circles...

Right, just spoken to Paul Stephens at http://www.vca.gov.uk/index.asp

He had this to say...

In the case of a NEW vehicle, then any changes made to it prior to it's first sale, WILL affect the Type Approval.
Once a vehicle is no longer "new" ie after it's first change of keeper, then Type Approval no longer needs to be maintained, HOWEVER Construction and use, and Road Traffic Lighting regs all have to be complied with - And it was his advice that an insurer should certainly be told that the vehicle is no longer Std UK spec, as it will have been modified from the original state under which Type Approval was given.

Is that clear enough?

Mike

Last edited by GSMGuy; Jul 23rd, 2009 at 17:42.
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 22:46   #14
Jay

Mike - thanks for this information. Much appreciated.

As long as i inform my insurance company then it is okay. I have spoken with a few and it makes no difference to the premium.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval - Introduction

Many industrial sectors are subject to some form of approval or certification system but road vehicles are a special case because of their importance to and impact upon society. Within Europe, two systems of type approval have been in existence for over 20 years. One is based around ECE (United Nations) Regulations and provides for approval of vehicle systems and separate components, but not whole vehicles. The other is EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) which is based around EC Directives and provides for the approval of whole vehicles, in addition to vehicle systems, and separate components.

EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval is a way of making sure vehicles are safe to use on the road and respect environmental considerations, without having to inspect and test every single one.

Under the EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval system, a prototype is tested. If it passes the tests and the production arrangements also pass inspection, then vehicles or components of the same type are approved for production and sale within Europe, without further testing.

Currently EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval applies to passenger cars. Over the next few years EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval will be extended to cover all new road vehicles and trailers. The new Directive will also cover national schemes for small series vehicles and individual approval.

VCUK DO forbid the dealers to turn them off...
We are just going around in circles...

Right, just spoken to Paul Stephens at http://www.vca.gov.uk/index.asp

He had this to say...

In the case of a NEW vehicle, then any changes made to it prior to it's first sale, WILL affect the Type Approval.
Once a vehicle is no longer "new" ie after it's first change of keeper, then Type Approval no longer needs to be maintained, HOWEVER Construction and use, and Road Traffic Lighting regs all have to be complied with - And it was his advice that an insurer should certainly be told that the vehicle is no longer Std UK spec, as it will have been modified from the original state under which Type Approval was given.

Is that clear enough?

Mike
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 09:54   #15
Nice But Dim

Have asked 2 dealers if this was possible (ie turn off the headlights but leave the marker lights on as daytime running lights) and got conflicting advice - I emailed Volvo UK.

Below is their kind response which is very reasonable.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have checked with our Technical Department and they advised that switching off the daytime running lights should still leave the marker lights on. They did ask me to mention that this is a rare request and so they cannot provide a definitive answer as this hasn't yet been tested.

I therefore propose that if you decide to have this work done and the marker lights are not left on as you would like, we will refund the cost of the work.

I trust that this is a fair solution and please retain this e-mail as proof of authority.

Customer Relations

etc etc

Previously
XC60 MY2010 2.4D Drive SE, Saville Grey, leather, sunroof, front & rear sensors, family pack

Last edited by Nice But Dim; Jul 24th, 2009 at 09:56.
Nice But Dim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nice But Dim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:20   #16
ak888

Are you planning to do this? Just so I am sure, the marker lights (on the XC60) are the two slanted lines on either side of the grill.

Only downside I can see for me is that the car doesn't have Auto headlights which I have had in my pass few cars which are handy living close to the Blackwall Tunnel and Limehouse Link tunnel.
ak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:35   #17
Nice But Dim

Hi Alex

I'm sure mine as auto headlights and come on in the dark - or at least the internal dash lights do come on automatoically when it gets dark !
And yes the marker lights are indeed the vertical cluster either side of the volvo badge

Previously
XC60 MY2010 2.4D Drive SE, Saville Grey, leather, sunroof, front & rear sensors, family pack
Nice But Dim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 11:36   #18
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice But Dim View Post
Hi Alex

I'm sure mine as auto headlights and come on in the dark - or at least the internal dash lights do come on automatoically when it gets dark !
And yes the marker lights are indeed the vertical cluster either side of the volvo badge
My understanding, Volvo designed their cars to run with DRL's, so there is no requirement, for Auto Headlights.

Regarding, the dash lights?
There is a sensor that adjusts the lights to suit the surrounding conditions. Drive in daylight, into a tunnel and you will see the dash lighting change and then change, back when you exit the tunnel.

The DRL's?
Think carefully, where you intend, taking your Volvo.
If you intend to travel in Europe, I can tell you that fines can be on the spot and heafty, if you forget to switch on your dip beams, when driving on auto routes and through tunnels.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tem For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 11:58   #19
Jay

Smile

Thanks for this message. Please do keep me updated how you get on with the XC60.

I spoke with a technical guy at a Volvo dealership who was very knowledgeable and spoke at length - on an xc90 the DRL (WHICH IS EFFECTIVELY THE SAME AS THE NIGHT LIGHT NO SPECIAL LIGHTING) is either on or off and you cannot replace the normal lights to the side/parking lights. When the drl is turned off then you have the flexibility to switch between parking/side lights and normal lights obviously no buzzer noise if you accidently leave them on. He was not sure about the xc60 but does not think it will be any different.

Volvo likes to market their cars with the DRL however it is customer choice but it will definitely not invalidate your warranty or affect your insurance premium. I am still to find out an insurance company that will charge extra premium for switching off the DRL. It is recommended that you inform your insurance co. that you have switch off the drl so it is noted in your account same as you would if you fitted a tow bar, dvd players etc so in case of a claim they can make the necessary adjustment to the pay out and you cannot falsify information.

Hope this help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice But Dim View Post
Have asked 2 dealers if this was possible (ie turn off the headlights but leave the marker lights on as daytime running lights) and got conflicting advice - I emailed Volvo UK.

Below is their kind response which is very reasonable.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have checked with our Technical Department and they advised that switching off the daytime running lights should still leave the marker lights on. They did ask me to mention that this is a rare request and so they cannot provide a definitive answer as this hasn't yet been tested.

I therefore propose that if you decide to have this work done and the marker lights are not left on as you would like, we will refund the cost of the work.

I trust that this is a fair solution and please retain this e-mail as proof of authority.

Customer Relations

etc etc
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 20:59   #20
apollogary

I have just spent an hour typing out a post about DRLs and how I have modified my light set-up. Pressed submit and was asked to log in again, did that, it then said I was already logged in and press "back" and when I did, my post was gone. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR So, I'm not going to type it all out again, but in summary.
I had my DRLs turned off last year. This did not leave the sidelights on. I made up a small circuit and linked the dashboard lights, which are light sensor controlled to the dipped beam. Which gives me "auto" lights at night. I have also added a lights-on bonger which tells me the light switch is "on" when I open the drivers door. It's not a particularly easy job and does involve some soldering and track cutting inside the light switch but it can be done. And I now have what I consider a "normal" light set-up. If anyone wants more information, let me know
Cheers
Gary
apollogary is offline   Reply With Quote