Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting Problem

Views : 817

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 00:50   #1
222s
Amazoniste

Default Starting Problem

To start with, when turning the key, there's nothing at all. Then the starter slowly turns as though the battery is almost flat & after a few seconds of very slow turning, the engine catches, almost miraculously if that makes sense! I can only assume that the ignition system is very good but then until now it's always started easily.

Once running, all the electrics are fine & the charge / amp light is off as it should be. The battery is only about 4 years old, and the lights are all bright (even main beam) when the engine isn't running. Also, I've tried jump starting it to see if that would make any difference - which it didn't

Could it still be the battery? I'm going to clean the terminals to see if that helps (a long shot though). Next check is the starter earth strap......

BTW, if it's not the battery / wiring, could the solenoid be at fault, or is the starter itself a more likely culprit?

Help!!!!!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:35   #2
Stuart Read

Default Earth Strap

Hi

It sounds like the earth strap to me - attached from the opposite side of the block to the starter motor, to the chassis.

You can eliminate the battery by checking the voltage with a voltmeter.

Hope this helps. . .

Stuart
Stuart Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 13:25   #3
Stanleywindrush
Amazon antics

Smile I agree - try the earth strap..

This would make a lot of sense - sometimes if they have rotted/ the bolt where they attach to the chassis has rotted out - the engine will earth itself through any other way it can - and not very successfully.

I have heard of this happening through the speedo cable - which made it very hot and eventually melted!!

Clean the attachment clasps on the battery, check the battery earth to the bulk head - then jump under the drivers side of the car for the engine earth strap.

It may be worth checking the positive off take from the battery is attached tightly to the starter solenoid, as these can work loose, especially if you have had the positive lead on, then off the battery terminal in the past etc...

Earth the engine with jump cables if this helps to help the process of elimination.

Fitting a new starter is easy - two bolts, and I guess if all this doesn't work you can pick up second hand one cheap enough and bolt it on to eliminate this as well..

Good luck

Baz
Stanleywindrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 17:10   #4
222s
Amazoniste

Thanks guys

I've checked all the connection and all seems ok. Also tried using a jump cable to earth the engine, but that didn't make any difference

I've been advised elsewhere that the battery could be on the way out (ie not supplying enough amps any more, rather than not holding charge), so I hope to get that tested later.

Fingers crossed!

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 17:39   #5
wellshj

Another test is to bypass the ignition switch circuit by replacing the green control wire (spade connector under the live leads bolted onto the solenoid) with a direct connection to the positive terminal of the battery and seeing if that works better. Use as thick a wire as you have and only flash it to test as the wire won't be able to cope and could melt/catch fire. If it works like this then there could be a problem with the ignition switch wiring. (Thanks to Andy R for this one)

I cured a starting problem last week with a replacement earthing strap, almost undetectable nicks along the side had reduced its capability enough to prevent the starter working consistently.

Good Luck
wellshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 18:23   #6
meta_volante

Smile

Hi 222s, just thought you would find it interesting to read of a similar problem I had last week with my S60, heres my thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=20507

regards

meta

'03 S40 1.9D Sport
meta_volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 23:31   #7
222s
Amazoniste

Thanks again all!

It does indeed look as if the battery is the culprit - according to the digital tester, it has a bad cell & only 10.2 volts. A new one is on order (everything in Halfords that is the right ampage has the terminals the wrong way round for the leads ) so hope to know for sure tomorrow.

Oh, and just as I was leaving, I bumped into wellshj !!! Good to see you again

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 14:35   #8
222s
Amazoniste

It was indeed the battery - just fitted a new one and all is now how it should be.

Thanks to all for the advice etc - I've learned quite bit from this. What threw me initially was that I'm used to the symptoms of batteries not holding charge and therefore going flat, rather than when there's a bad cell (as confirmed by the digital battery tester) causing a drop in the battery power.