Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing a tyre when driving in Europe

Views : 879

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2024, 16:43   #1
Sotosound
Premier Member

Default Replacing a tyre when driving in Europe

My wife and I are planning to drive to Italy next year, and we'll cross France and a bit of Switzerland on the way. We're both looking forward to it, but a question popped up in my head today, which is about what to do if we have a puncture wherein the tyre isn't repairable while we're on the continent.

My concern is that all UK tyre sizes are based around tread widths in mm but rim diameters in inches, e.g. 185/70 R14.

Thinking on, however, do car manufacturers actually make different wheels sizes for imperial and metric markets?

I have no answers, and neither does Google unless I'm simply asking the wrong questions.

Has anyone on this forum got any useful information, experiences or advice to share on this topic?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 17:10   #2
BorderVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Has anyone on this forum got any useful information, experiences or advice to share on this topic?
Yes, take a spare.
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 17:11   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

Take a spare. I got a puncture on a hire vehicle in Slovenia and there was a 3 day wait for a replacement tyre costing £400 because it had to come from Italy. That was a number of years ago. Tyre sizes should be the same globally regardless of whether the country uses metric or imperial measurements, so if you have a 205 55 R16 for example, there will be an imperial measurement that's the exact equivalent of this.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 19:38   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

All European cars share a common type approval and tyre sizes. Unless you drive a BMW 635i with TRX tyres or an old Metro which used metric sizes for whatever reason.

Also, join a breakdown recovery service. Either a UK based one with EU cover or ADAC for example

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 30th, 2024 at 20:27.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 22:33   #5
buick boy

Don't forget ;Reflective jackets , UK sticker (not GB) , A Warning triangle , an emissions certificate (many large towns in France require this) , insurance certificate , driving licence , Beam deflectors . Any of these carry a 135euro fine for non compliance , so be warned . There may be other mandatory things you need , so I would check it out before you go .
buick boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 22:39   #6
GMcL
0's and 1's

You'll also need a vignette for driving on the motorway in Switzerland, either a windscreen sticker or an e-vignette. Costs 44€ or about GBP38. You can only buy a years vignette valid until end of January 2025.

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg/en/ho...gebuehren.html

You can also buy them at the border or at petrol stations on approach to the Swiss border.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 08:18   #7
Forg

Even in Europe it's difficult while driving.

I would recommend stopping first.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 08:38   #8
Whippy
Premier Member

Plus, if planning on entering Paris (And or other towns and cities) you meet a Crit'Air vignette. Very cheap and available online.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:56   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

Many thanks for all of the replies.

So.... loads of administrative hoops to jump through, legalised bribes to pay, and badges to wear.

Sheesh! Still, once that's done we should be ok.

Is there an online source that anyone is aware of that facilitates conversion of UK tyre spec to equivalent European tyre spec? That's the one thing that, to my mind, will be the biggest challenge.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 11:08   #10
S60inFrance

I live in France and tyre sizes here are the same as the UK, I would imagine all of Europe is the same? One thing to note however, if you have a puncture that necessitates a new tyre, you would have to have 2,in France at least. They are not allowed to replace a single tyre so it's always a pair. Their attitude to tyres here is much better than the UK, even the crappiest old wrecks have got a set of Michelin fitted, no budget tyres!
S60inFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60inFrance For This Useful Post: