Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 P* PP Fuel economy xc90

Views : 914

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2023, 19:17   #1
sasdiscos

Default D5 P* PP Fuel economy xc90

So just others views on this please?

My 2018 xc90 with p* has returned an average of 38mpg over 22k miles.
Since owning I have driven in eco mode maximising the fuel economy.

I do 20k a year and so I drive carefully and don’t tend to rush about any more.

Try to stick to below speed limits where practical etc.

Just recently I decided to drive in normal mode, and to my surprise I’m easily getting 41mpg. Well, easier than in eco mode.

I’m surprised by this, what is others findings on this?

I have 22 inch wheels and air suspension. Tyres ran at 39psi all round.
Just me in the car weekdays and me and the missus at weekends holidays etc.

Just curious to know what others have found.

Thanks. Steve.
sasdiscos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2023, 21:59   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I have compared eco to comfort mode and found little difference, and no window misting in comfort mode. Dynamic mode gives a better driving experience with hardly any difference in economy if driven normally, I have individual mode set to dynamic with comfort suspension and light steering and stop start disabled. I just wish the tick over revs were lower in dynamic.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 09:17   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I have compared eco to comfort mode and found little difference
Same here; no significant difference. I leave it in Comfort mode.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 14:02   #4
sasdiscos

So what sort of mpg are you returning?

I was pleased with near 40 for such a big car, but can’t understand the logic of the eco mode.

Coasting is supposed to save fuel, but as I have always previously thought it uses more fuel than allowing drag.

Is it just a gimmick?

Steve.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 14:14   #5
neilgorin

It's not the same car, however on my V60 D4 manual I do the exact same route daily, so decided to work out exactly what these modes do.

Conclusion:

- Comfort is standard.

- Economy extends the throttle travel and reduces the coldness of the air con. It also causes the cruise control to vary slightly at set speed - the car will drop back slightly below the set speed and then slowly catch back up again.

- Dynamic makes the steering heavier, reduces the air gap between the brake pads and the disks meaning hard braking occurs with less pedal travel and reduces the throttle pedal travel to make it seem more snappy.

Fuel consumption at a steady speed is identical between Comfort and Dynamic.

Fuel consumption in Economy is very slightly better than Comfort but only when using cruise. Driving normally there's no difference but it feels slower as you have to push the pedal more.

Another thing (although not relevant to automatic cars) is that the car is less efficient in 6th gear than 5th gear until you pass 57mph.
The Following User Says Thank You to neilgorin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 15:47   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasdiscos View Post
So what sort of mpg are you returning?
Long term average is ~35mpg. Long motorway runs at around the speed limit and with Pilot Assist on is ~42mpg. I reckon PA increases fuel consumption by 1 or 2 mpg.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 18:35   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

My MPG average will not be relevant as most of my driving is around town on short trips or pulling a caravan on long trips, so rather pathetic mid twenties. But do get decent mileage on a run and "once" had 50 mpg on a steady 50mph run.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 21:20   #8
Ian0803

I have never bothered with Eco mode on my XC90, my experience with my previous cars told me, that under normal/typical day to day driving conditions for me, Eco was never more economical than comfort mode.
For sure there may be conditions where Eco does offer small benefits, but I found I needed to push harder on the throttle pedal most of the time to achieve the same progress as comfort, nor did I appreciate the reduced air-con
In fact on my previous cars, on longer journeys, I could also achieve the same economy in sport mode, simply driving the car exactly the same as in comfort mode.
Mine is a B5D, 8000 miles and an average of 43mpg
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 21:50   #9
sasdiscos

So my next thing to try is if lowering the suspension makes a difference. In eco it lowers it for less wind resistance. In comfort it is at normal. I have it set in P* with eco.

Few more trials to be had me thinks.