Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P2 A-Pillar interior trim

Views : 227

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2024, 01:28   #1
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default P2 A-Pillar interior trim

I cannot find the removal procedure for the A-pillars after several searches.
I know they likely have ridges which catch behind metal edges but I know pushing the wrong way first will shear the brittle plastic off.

Do they catch on the forward edge or the back edge? Anybody know? Thanks
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 09:28   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Remove the door seal where it covers the pillar trim, then pull at the top of the trim. There is a single clip which is designed to 'pop' when of the side air curtain inflates. A single sharp pull usually does it for me! It will only move a short distance, the clip has retaining straps. It's a bit awkward but if you can get your fingers behind the trim or a small pair of pliers, rotate the clip 90 degrees and it will then pull out completely. Once the top is lose, lift up to disengage the bottom edge from the dash top.
To put the trim back, as Haynes would say, reverse the above. Volvo suggest replacing the clip, I've put them back without replacing before, sometimes they hold, sometimes they don't and the trim keeps coming loose. They are a few pence (cents) from Volvo but be aware, there are two types. Pre-facelift the spigots are the same size on both sides (this allows the clip to be fitted the wrong way round), post facelift the spigots are different sizes so the clip only fits one way.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 09:39   #3
4x4
Premier Member

This should help... Click
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 13:11   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Super thanks to both of you.
I'm such a 'forever caveman' I never will think to go to YouTube first.

Now I gotta tell you my "design idea".
Though my interior is the medium grey, The steering wheel airbag recall was done in black. The dealership volunteered that they only come in black now.
The color's most insignificant, thus not on my mind.

The cloth covering of my A pillars have peeled away and I got the idea to cover them both with a black cloth. It'll go with the airbag and dovetail with many a nonreflective windscreen treatment.
I wont be painting my bonnet black like a racecar, however.

Now all I have to do is select a suitable black cloth , flocking (yeah, right) or possibly paint.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 13:16   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I wont be painting my bonnet black like a racecar, however.
nothing says 'I've replaced a part and couldn't be bothered to paint it' like the classic black bonnet boy racer mod

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 15:06   #6
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I agree s b and you prompted me to mention something you may never have seen in the UK.

Here in the Northeast -Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and the New England states is my world- salt and brine solution is used to clear roads.
These compounds eat steel and aluminum.

For a while, body shops and individuals would repair the nether regions of their pickups as best they could and finish the repair in flat black.
This would result in the appearance of the vehicle having been partially dipped level into a swimming pool filled with black paint.
This treatment obscured amateurish repairs and was much cheaper than matching paint professionally.

Common "black bottoms" would extend upwards 6" to 24" (15 cm to 60 cm).
It reminded me of some of the Chaparral Racers.

Here's the kicker. The plainly obvious, serviceable, economical repair fell out of favor as it embarrassed the lads and their families.
Yes, I asked. It was considered "too hillbilly - too cheap"

I thought the repair -done to quintessentially sacrificial parts- was smart and cool looking.

Keeping up appearances... They drive "tetanus trucks" now.