Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lack of camera - will I regret it?

Views : 2815

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2017, 10:53   #1
sammyblackbaron

Default Lack of camera - will I regret it?

I have the option of buying a new in stock XC90 Momentum with no options fitted. I think I'm correct in saying that this means there will be no reverse camera.

Does anyone have an XC90 without cameras and if so, do you regret it?

Thanks in advance
sammyblackbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 11:12   #2
KNVXC90

Not sure if your spec has cameras or not, but I wouldn't buy a car this size, without cameras. Its preferable to get the 360 view camera. Makes parking this car so easy and effortless.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 11:32   #3
NandM

Completely agree on the 360 camera and not just for parking. Over the last couple of days it's enabled me to cross over a very tight bridge and to traverse though a ridiculous overcrowded over-flow car park where the rule seems to have been: "find any space and park in it"!
NandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 11:35   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyblackbaron View Post
I have the option of buying a new in stock XC90 Momentum with no options fitted. I think I'm correct in saying that this means there will be no reverse camera.

Thanks in advance
It will have reverse parking sensors, which are almost essential. Although a reversing camera is desirable and useful, and so are surround cameras, if you have never had them you will not miss them. I've driven dozens of cars over the years without cameras. In fact cameras were not really commonplace until about five years ago on new cars. We managed.

Try for a good discount on the car, whose price already reflects its specification of course.

Fairly confident that a rear camera can be fitted as an accessory, either the Volvo genuine equipment or one off eBay if it is a deal killer. Ask the dealer.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 11:38   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

A car this size really needs a camera. I've driven an XC90 without the 360 camera and really missed it.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 12:00   #6
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
A car this size really needs a camera. I've driven an XC90 without the 360 camera and really missed it.
If he's coming from a more compact car that may be true. In my case I have come from driving a lot of large cars without cameras, latterly X5, Range Rover, ML, and Q7 plus my faithful Land Cruiser Amazon. All had/have rear or rear/front parking sensors though, which is all you [I] really need.

All my current cars apart from the LC and Ranger do have cameras though and I really do wish that the above had them too, but only because they are my main towing vehicles and rear camera makes hitching up so very much easier single handed. My trailers are on and off three or four times a week on average, so how I have ended up with three vehicles that don't tow, with cameras, and the two I do tow with, without, is a mystery that grates.
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 12:21   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyblackbaron View Post

Thanks in advance
The rear camera and 360 camera are both optional extras. Unless the spec has changed since I bought my 2017 MY XC90. I have owned 3 MK1 XC90's and none of them had reverse cameras and I managed with no problems at all with them with just the rear park assist beep but I think the 360° camera on my present XC90 is the bees knees.
I would option this every time as it is not just used for reversing and has indication lines from all 4 corners to so you can maneuver in tight spaces and has tow hitch lines to assist in hooking up to towbar, and warnings from every angle if you get too close to anything. You can also choose 360° view or front or rear or either side view. And has zoom.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jul 25th, 2017 at 12:26.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 12:37   #8
Bernard F

I would say it's a must have as it's available. Ask the dealer if he can fit one before delivery. You will not regret it.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 13:23   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
I would say it's a must have as it's available. Ask the dealer if he can fit one before delivery. You will not regret it.
The 360° camera are a factory fit only, as cameras are built into front grill, rear hatch and side mirrors and integrated into sensus system. And suspect rear only camera to be the same.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2017, 13:51   #10
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I've driven dozens of cars over the years without cameras. In fact cameras were not really commonplace until about five years ago on new cars. We managed.
Yes yes, and we all used to wind our windows up and down by hand, get up off our chairs to change channel on the TV, have phones that didn't have the internet and (not so long ago) be able to legally use those phones while driving.

The world changes. He's not buying a car in the past, he's buying it today.

Are cameras needed? I'm another vote for essential, and I'd go so far as to extend that to the 360. If mine didn't have the 360 my parking would take a lot longer and/or frequently be worse and potentially annoy other people.

If you get a discount on the car be very clear that you understand - you're getting that discount to inconvenience yourself for the time you own the vehicle. You'll be the one losing out. They'll effectively have paid you to put up with the hassle. And it is hassle, you just might not know it if you never had it in the first place / don't know you're missing it.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R

Last edited by Torshen; Jul 25th, 2017 at 14:37.
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote