Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT failure advice re. numberplate light

Views : 3977

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 18:30   #1
super61

Default MOT failure advice re. numberplate light

Hello all,

Is anyone out there able to help with what might seem a silly question - My V40 failed its MOT today because the numberplate lights do not come on when the light switch is turned to the first position without the keys in. The front lights and rear lights do but no numberplate ones. The trouble I'm having understanding this is that when the ignition key is turned to position 2, the numberplate lights do come on (meaning current in there and bulbs ok!).

Ive been studying the haynes manual wiring diagrams for a a couple of hours and cannot understand if the numberplate bulb wire is joined to the rear light wire thus on the same circuit, why they would fail to come on with the rear lights with no key and then come on when the key was turned.

Surely it can't be that complicated but I don't think I can see the wood for the trees.....

Is anyone able to offer a small clue?

Thanks, Alex
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 18:43   #2
pphilpot
Premier Member

Hi, my 1997 V40 number plate lights do the exact same thing - i.e. they don't light up when there's no key, and they do when the key is in position 2.

It's never failed a MOT on that (not that I'm aware of)!
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 18:48   #3
Viper_7
Premier Member

My previous Volvo did this too....I;d go back and point this out.
They work perfectly in the normal driving position.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 18:56   #4
Andys101

Default MOT Numpty

you must show side lights with the ignition in the off position.
i dont know if this means numberplate lights as well, however if not having the numberplate lights on with the ignition off is a design feature then this is a pass.

have a look at this
Andys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 19:06   #5
4 forty
VOC Member

Default number plate lights

the number plate lights only come on when you turn the ignition key on, if the key is turned off, and as you say, the number plate light is not lit when you turn your side[PARKING] lights on, this is correct, you will also notice only one bulb on each side of the rear light is illuminated, this is to mimimise battery loss whilst parked. when the key is turned on, you will see two bulbs lit up on either side.
inform your mot station that these are not side lights, but parking lights!!.

this site is a forum run by mot testers

http://www.motester.co.uk/
paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 19:08   #6
Ambiesda

"My V40 failed its MOT today because the numberplate lights do not come on when the light switch is turned to the first position without the keys in. The front lights and rear lights do but no numberplate ones."

Alex, if the key is not in the ignition, and turned to the first position, then the numberplate lights should not come on. This is due to the fact that only the side lights come on as "parking lights" as required in certain aspects of parking as described in the Traffic Act and amendments. There is no need for the number plate to be illuminated while the vehicle is parked. The parking lights are wired as low drain on the battery.

Having stated that, the MOT regulations are confusing as to this aspect.

"Where more than one rear registration plate lamp, or bulb, is fitted as original equipment , anyone in operative lamp or bulb is a reason for rejection. (see information column: multiple number plate lights) (Method of inspection)5. With the side and rear lamps switched on, check that the rear registration plate lamp(s) is (a). fitted (b). working, and (c). does not flicker when tapped lightly by hand. (Reason for rejection) 5. A rear registration plate lamp (a). not fitted (b). not working, or (c). flickers when tapped lightly by hand.

Note: The precise position of obligatory side and rear lamps is not part of the inspection, but check visually that the lamps are at about i. the same height, and the same distance from the side of the vehicle."

Hope this helps.
Regards

Malky
Ambiesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 19:58   #7
super61

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies. It really does not make sense that the number plate lights come on with the parking lights and from what you all have said it looks like the tester has made a mistake.

From the computer printed new style MOT fail certificate the car failed on section 1.1.5 (c) (with ignition off) reg plate lamp bulb not working - I guess this is where the grey area is as it looks like you can't turn on the V40s lights without the key in (as you can with most other cars), only put the parking lights on.

I think I may have fun arguing this out with them, who knows how many other Volvos they've failed in this way. Although they didnt fail mine last year and it must have been the same then.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Alex
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 20:17   #8
DurhamRed

I think the tester is wrong here, I mean I've just taken my car for test in the last 2 weeks and it passed fine, after all if you remember a few years back almost all cars were fitted with a battery saving feature which would not allow dipped beam without ignition on. I don't recall any cars failing then as I also don't see why a Volvo S40 should fail now, as long as the car is correctly lit when driven.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 22:55   #9
4 forty
VOC Member

Default test referal

you could of course challenge the testers desicion by taking it to a vosa testing station,
if they pass it, the tester will be called to task.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 20:03   #10
super61

Hi All,

Just an update regarding my numberplate lights....I took it for another MOT today (at another garage) and it passed ok. But the tester called up VOSA for advice after hearing about the previous problems and they told him if they are not supposed to come on without the key in then put it down as an advisory.

So that is what I have, an advisory that my numberplate lights dont come on with the 'side' (parking!) lights.

So alls well that ends well, but a huge ball ache for a problem created by woolly wording in the MOT checklist and an over enthusiastic tester.

Cheers