Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 822387

Replies : 6257

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2021, 21:46   #1031
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Yes but FIVE SPEED BOX!😋
Technically yes, 5th was only 1:1 thugh, same as the normal 4th so they had to increase the final drive ratio as people complained 5th was too low.

That was in the very early days with cable change before going to rod change to make it more positive, rather like stirring soggy porridge and playing Russian Roulette as to what gear you engaged!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 08:37   #1032
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Every time I overtook another Maxi on a motorway, I'd wonder why it was going so slowly and what the driver knew that I didn't. It took me ages to work out that it wasn't car as such, just the kinds of people who usually drove them.
... yes, that would have been my grandfather; his previous motor car had been an Austin Cambridge (in maroon), which was also quite sedate. He was a marvellous chap though :-)
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 08:52   #1033
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Technically yes, 5th was only 1:1 thugh, same as the normal 4th so they had to increase the final drive ratio as people complained 5th was too low.

That was in the very early days with cable change before going to rod change to make it more positive, rather like stirring soggy porridge and playing Russian Roulette as to what gear you engaged!
Apparently the sensible thing to do with Maxi gearboxes was to fit the 1750's box to the 1500 and the 1500's box to the 1750 as that meant the torque curves better matched the gear ratios.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 09:04   #1034
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Every time I overtook another Maxi on a motorway, I'd wonder why it was going so slowly and what the driver knew that I didn't. It took me ages to work out that it wasn't car as such, just the kinds of people who usually drove them.
I had two Maxis when i was about 18-19, one was a "loaner" from the dealers i bought my car from while they repaired the gear linkage, the other i actually owned for 6 days, bought in an emergency. Both cars struggled to get higher than 16mpg, no matter how i drove them!

Perhaps the reason most Maxi owners had already discovered this with theirs and found a way to get acceptable fuel consumption?

A few years later i also owned an Allegro, oddly that gave about 35mpg no matter how i drove it which was a lot more like it should have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Apparently the sensible thing to do with Maxi gearboxes was to fit the 1750's box to the 1500 and the 1500's box to the 1750 as that meant the torque curves better matched the gear ratios.
I heard that as well, blamed on an error in the Drawing Office allegedly!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 09:17   #1035
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
What incredible knowledge of older cars you have Loki; if ever I enter a pub quiz when the topic is motor cars I want you on my team!
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:16   #1036
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I think it's genuine enough, I am a natural sceptic but we have to believe someone eventually, otherwise where would we be.
Buying anything used, you buy the guy not the object on sale! 🙂

Person buying a car told by their other half, don't buy second hand you are buying someone else's problems.

Reply, yes dear I should have listened to your first spouse.

g, d, rlh ....

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:28   #1037
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

The Maxi I had was perfick for me to "drive".

It almost drove itself.

The steering and road holding was almost thought controlled.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:30   #1038
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I had two Maxis when i was about 18-19, one was a "loaner" from the dealers i bought my car from while they repaired the gear linkage, the other i actually owned for 6 days, bought in an emergency. Both cars struggled to get higher than 16mpg, no matter how i drove them!

Perhaps the reason most Maxi owners had already discovered this with theirs and found a way to get acceptable fuel consumption?
I don't recall my grandparents mentioning poor consumption with the Maxi they owned (from new I think). That was about 1970 though and expectations were different - and petrol probably cost 2/6d per gallon :-)
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:50   #1039
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Person buying a car told by their other half, don't buy second hand you are buying someone else's problems.

Reply, yes dear I should have listened to your first spouse.

g, d, rlh ....

What is it they say, " triumph of optimism over experience ".
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 21:52   #1040
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I don't recall my grandparents mentioning poor consumption with the Maxi they owned (from new I think). That was about 1970 though and expectations were different - and petrol probably cost 2/6d per gallon :-)

There was a long period of time when all my cars, Maxis included, seemed to do 28mpg.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post: