Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where did all the fuel go?

Views : 29328

Replies : 344

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2021, 20:26   #31
dped

HGV driver earned £12hr and works 40hrs a week (he as a great job) gives him £480 before stoppages. Now earns £14hr so get £560 and thinks things are on the up.

Then the bills start going up starts with increase in NI, council tax, food, energy, fuel for the car, cloths, in fact everything leading to inflation so Bank of England increase interest rates so the mortgage shoots up

Then it hits home "I'm no better of"
dped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 20:32   #32
e123

Far from rationing fuel by saying a maximum of £30, there should be a minimum charge of £30 for car/van drivers. If you don't have room for 5 gallons, you don't need to be filling up.
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to e123 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 20:58   #33
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Getting petrol is boring, so I like to minimise the number of visits to the pump. I do this by filling up each time. It's not greedy, it's my normal pattern, but I can imagine being taken to task for it.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 21:13   #34
Whippy
Premier Member

We have a problem, and the problem is we want everything cheap, clothes? Get em from a sweatshop in China, food? Get poor people to sweat in the fields for us. We need to wake up to what is important, stop worrying about what streaming service is cheaper, start paying more for the food you need to live. If we paid farmers more to produce food they could afford to pay for more tech n better wages.

We are in a vicious circle of dependency of cheap foreign labour to keep us supplied with the basics of life. It's gotta stop.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 21:14   #35
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Getting petrol is boring, so I like to minimise the number of visits to the pump. I do this by filling up each time. It's not greedy, it's my normal pattern, but I can imagine being taken to task for it.
That is exactly what I do. I also have a 20lt jerrycan for use with the ride-on mower and the pedestrian mowers for more formal areas around the house. It does genuinely need refilling, but there is no way I'm taking that down to the local filling station and looking a right greedy d!ckhead. The grass will have to grow until this little skirmish is over.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 21:55   #36
dped

Whippy

But would we wish to go back to the late 80's early 90's ? If prices keep going up the BOE will put interest rates up. Anyone under 50 will not remember when interest rates hit 13%plus. Can you imagine those rates with house prices has high has we have in the UK now thanks to both parties. Feel for kids starting out now.

Given it's a car forum back on topic. Need to swap out a failed wheel bearing but while doing it was going to do track control arm, drop links ect given I might has well do it all at same time on a 2010plate. God the prices and lack of parts is getting scary. Even Parts for Volvo seem to have stock problems, because most parts come from Europe?. And a number of car parts suppliers where I live have disappeared (gone bust) The world has gone mad.

Last edited by dped; Sep 25th, 2021 at 22:00.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 22:21   #37
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dped View Post
...The world has gone mad.
Nah, just Britain.

When do we reckon the medicine shortages will kick in?
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 23:03   #38
dped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Nah, just Britain.

When do we reckon the medicine shortages will kick in?
Thing what worries me re fuel is the clowns from ExRe are liable to block the fuel depots to bring us to our knees. Even if emergency vehicles run dry putting lives at risk. But yes some things we can do without but medicines need to be delivered and if the vans can't get fuel this week.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:43   #39
Turbodave
VOC Member

It's a vicious circle.

I currently drive for a supermarket, vans... and on Friday the forecourt at the store was queued round the car park, thus it was becoming an issue to fill said vans (they're topped up when they hit 1/2 tank usually) and being sat in the queue for an hour and more wasn't an option, schedules etc ect.

Late Friday night they temporarily closed the forecourt and fuelled all the vans, which is compounding the issue but the other option was to either lose hours sat waiting or have vans running out and cancelling deliveries. Saturday afternoon and after continuous queues all day and people filling their tanks, it's now empty as are a few others locally.

I need fuel in the car, light is on but I'm hoping that once the initial knee jerk reaction is over and Karen who's filled her XC90 now has enough fuel that she won't need to visit again till mid December given she works from home and the car does 7 miles a week to the school and back... plus a friend who drives HGV's has alluded that the local refinery hasn't really suffered any driver losses, bar the usual sick days etc but it's still business as usual and it's the fact panic buying has kicked in that has created the issues.

See also: bog rolls, water, pigs in blankets..

But what do you do, queue for an hour and stick a tenner in or join the sheep and fill the tank? My wife's currently away south of the border and put £50 in the car to get her home later plus see her through the rest of the week but she said didn't know whether to fill it or just fuel it as we normally do. It's a catch 22 situation, do you blindly follow the herd or pick your own path and deal with the consequences that may bring.

Frankly, the country is a mess just now... and I think a lot is down to the media and their need to the next big story, regardless of the facts and then the Facebookers just fuel the fire "OMG hun, have yooz herd theirs no fewl, best go and get some... even though uv not got a car, just fill up wee Jaysens water bottle hun xoxoxox" and we end up in a proper old mess.

It's madness.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 11:42   #40
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG68 View Post
I can't believe that after Bogrollgate early on in the pandemic, we are now facing Fuelgate.

Just drove 10 miles to two local filling stations - one closed & the other with several pumps out, no diesel & a queue of traffic.

Car now showing range of 40 miles, well into the reserve & me potentially stranded.

Another example of the "screw you mate, I'm OK" culture in this country?

Highly Peevd.

Good weekend all!

its ok everyone's tank will be full by tomorrow leaving the forecourt empty for you hopefully !