Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 - late V/XC 70

Views : 616

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 11:22   #1
eternal optimist
Master Member
 

Last Online: Oct 5th, 2021 15:19
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reading
Default D4 - late V/XC 70

So - I'm still very happy with my aged P2 XC70, but am starting to think about what I'd replace it with. I think the V90 is very attractive, and loved the SPA XC90 I hired a couple of years ago on holiday, but I suspect they're a bit fragile.

I know some D4's are variations of the 5 cylinder D5, are the late D4's the original versions of the engine that's now powering the V90's?

I know and trust the D5 in the P3 cars, would I be making a dreadful mistake with a late D4? Are the late P3's hiding any problems not shared with the earlier P3's?
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 11:32   #2
Tannaton
Genuine Parts Mafia
 
Tannaton's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:07
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Beverley, East Yorks
Default

I think the issue with the new shape XC90 is it's popularity and therefore cost - early (2015) examples in good order with sensible mileage are commanding north of 25k still, with the last of the old shape models with similar provenance selling for 10k less.

Back to your question though, in the run-out years for the XC/V70 (2015MY & 2016 MY) the cars had two engine/gearbox combination.

AWD cars - 5 cylinder Volvo engine and 6-speed auto (D3 & D4 = 2.0, D5 is 2.4) harks back to the D5 intorduced in 2002.

2WD/FWD cars - 4 cylinder 2.0 Volvo VEA diesel engine and 8 speed auto (D3 & D4).

All are very good and reliable, but as you would expect the later 4 cylinder engine and 8-speed gearbox gives more refinement. The 4 cylinder D4 engine is also ultre reliable but make sure its had the EGR recall work. The P3 platform is fairly solid, no major issues, not quite as robust as the P2 but nothing else is....
__________________
2015 XC60 D5 SE LUX, 2012 Ford Ranger XL SC, 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Last edited by Tannaton; Jun 9th, 2021 at 11:35.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 11:51   #3
Tannaton
Genuine Parts Mafia
 
Tannaton's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:07
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Beverley, East Yorks
Default

If you don't need AWD, if you can find a good 15/16 D4 with the 8-speed auto, that's a lovely smooth drive.
__________________
2015 XC60 D5 SE LUX, 2012 Ford Ranger XL SC, 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 11:58   #4
eternal optimist
Master Member
 

Last Online: Oct 5th, 2021 15:19
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reading
Default

I don't strictly need AWD, I don't tow anything other than a small trailer for tip runs, and I don't off road. But I couldn't bear the idea of having an XC that wasn't AWD.

Late V70's don't attract anything like the premium late XC70's do - and the V90's are available at very attractive prices. Best value new XC90 I've seen was an category N 66 plate XC90 in my favourite colour and trim combination (brown and amber trim) for 22k. Very reasonable mileage as well. That was tempting.

Also tempting is setting aside 10k for the next ten years to keep the P2 going! Just nicely run in at 190k.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 12:08   #5
Tannaton
Genuine Parts Mafia
 
Tannaton's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:07
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Beverley, East Yorks
Default

I'm oscillating as to whether to replace my 2015 XC60 with 135k on it with the very best old-shape XC90 I could find and run that for a number of years, probably to circa 200k.

When Volvo stopped taking orders for P3 V70/XC70 in March 2016, my local Volvo dealer ordered 15 XC70's "on spec" knowing they would all be sold by the time they were delivered.
__________________
2015 XC60 D5 SE LUX, 2012 Ford Ranger XL SC, 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 17:09   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member
 
Tatsfield's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 19:44
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Default

Quote:
But I couldn't bear the idea of having an XC that wasn't AWD.
Interestingly enough, my XC70 currently has an electronics fault which has switched off the rear wheel drive and the entire power output is going through the front wheels. And the car is much more fun to drive. It's lighter to throw about and there seems to be more power going down onto the road. I feel that the Volvo AWD system isn't like that on a Quatro Audi. It may make the car safer but it doesn't make it sportier in its handling. I suspect that I'm going to be disappointed when the fault gets fixed and the car returns to AWD.
__________________
2012 XC70 SE Lux Polestar 230 bhp D5 Auto Oyster Grey
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 17:22   #7
eternal optimist
Master Member
 

Last Online: Oct 5th, 2021 15:19
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reading
Default

Not sure what you describe makes sense to me. Haldex isnt permanent four wheel drive - it only engages drive at the back when the front wheels lose traction.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 07:10   #8
yostumpy
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 06:53
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Gravesend
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Interestingly enough, my XC70 currently has an electronics fault which has switched off the rear wheel drive and the entire power output is going through the front wheels. And the car is much more fun to drive. It's lighter to throw about and there seems to be more power going down onto the road. I feel that the Volvo AWD system isn't like that on a Quatro Audi. It may make the car safer but it doesn't make it sportier in its handling. I suspect that I'm going to be disappointed when the fault gets fixed and the car returns to AWD.
Is the car still pulling to the left? Just thinking if not that bad now, maybe your kerb climbing, has damaged a sensor, so the system thinks ( thought ) you had lost traction, and engaged 4x4, thus giving a similar experience to (wind up) when the diff is locked on full time 4x4 now the system has disengaged it, its not winding up any more, ( taking it out of diff lock) ? Folks used to disconnect the early Freelander Haldex, as it was prone to seizing up, causing all sorts of problems.
__________________
yostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 09:00   #9
Sotosound
Master Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:05
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Aylesbury
Default

In terms of best bang for buck, the last of the V70s are the best that you can get.

A 2016 D4 SE Lux Geartronic is the one that I would choose. Well-built, comfortable, refined, and great performance.

The 8-speed automatic is a great 'box, and the D4 engine has balancer shafts that make the engine extremely smooth.

It's also worth noting that the P3 sits noticeably higher than the P2 in all versions, and is much easier to get in and out of.

You'll also find the Sensus infotainment system quite handy, with loads of useful features but, thankfully, no touch screen and no distracting screen swiping required. Some familiarisation would be required, but it's a doddle once you get to know it.

Here's an example being sold by my local Volvo specialist, Horton Cars. Not a million miles away from Reading.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...sort=price-asc

Horton also have a couple of more recent P3 XC70s in stock, so a visit might work for you.

A test drive or three would probably help you decide what really works for you.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 10:29   #10
eternal optimist
Master Member
 

Last Online: Oct 5th, 2021 15:19
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reading
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
In terms of best bang for buck, the last of the V70s are the best that you can get.

A 2016 D4 SE Lux Geartronic is the one that I would choose. Well-built, comfortable, refined, and great performance.

The 8-speed automatic is a great 'box, and the D4 engine has balancer shafts that make the engine extremely smooth.

It's also worth noting that the P3 sits noticeably higher than the P2 in all versions, and is much easier to get in and out of.

You'll also find the Sensus infotainment system quite handy, with loads of useful features but, thankfully, no touch screen and no distracting screen swiping required. Some familiarisation would be required, but it's a doddle once you get to know it.

Here's an example being sold by my local Volvo specialist, Horton Cars. Not a million miles away from Reading.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...sort=price-asc

Horton also have a couple of more recent P3 XC70s in stock, so a visit might work for you.

A test drive or three would probably help you decide what really works for you.
I wouldn't be wanting to pay Horton's prices - I understand they've got a great reputation, but I wouldn't pay that much for that car, I think there's better value to be had.

Thanks for the consideration about height and access, but that's not a problem.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:14.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.