Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 516917

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.11%
No 322 62.89%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26th, 2022, 13:52   #211
Jeremy P

Default Removing sticking engineer’s dipstick.

I posted this video on YouTube to help remove the engineer’s dipstick from above.
https://youtu.be/3Ax9A3fZ2Yk
Jeremy P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeremy P For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 12:41   #212
MDH

I haven't spotted whether my '12 XC60 D5 has the engineer's dipstick, and I'm not fancying removing it at home at the moment - but I've no idea how much oil is in the car, as I can't seem to get anything up on the display.

It's 10 years old, so there could be a fault with the display or with the sensor, or am I being daft and just not prodding the right buttons in the right order?
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 05:01   #213
Johnsoke

No problems so far (D4, 2019 75kms)
Johnsoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 11:31   #214
Veteran

I had excess oil problems on my 2020 V60 D4 cross country just after I bought the car. I rang Volvo, who sent out a mechanic who drained a small amount of oil. He then began talking about regen and PDF filters. As I had just returned to UK after living in South Africa, where I drove only 4x4 diesels, I had no idea what he was talking about. The only problem we had there was using either using 500 PPM sulphur or 50 PPM diesel.

To cut a long story short I found out about redex DPF added to my tank and using premium diesel, I've had no further problems.
Veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 12:32   #215
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
I had excess oil problems on my 2020 V60 D4 cross country just after I bought the car. I rang Volvo, who sent out a mechanic who drained a small amount of oil. He then began talking about regen and PDF filters. As I had just returned to UK after living in South Africa, where I drove only 4x4 diesels, I had no idea what he was talking about. The only problem we had there was using either using 500 PPM sulphur or 50 PPM diesel.

To cut a long story short I found out about redex DPF added to my tank and using premium diesel, I've had no further problems.
How did he get it out?

Drained through the filter or sucked it out?
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 22:09   #216
Quinn

Default Oil level

Hi

I am new to Volvo, drive a 2013 V70 D4, 5 cylinder diesel. I like to self service my cars and have very recently changed the oil and oil filter, and filled the engine with oil using the technicians dipstick as my guide, I filled it to the horizontal bar on the dipstick believing this to be the correct fill level. The dashboard oil level shows it as full, with the overfill red sector at the end blank. I drained the oil to lower the oil level, no sign of oil on the technicians dipstick, checked the oil level via the dashboard again, and it still shows the oil level as full. Prior to my oil change the dashboard oil level reading was always showing 3/4 full.

1. am I filling the engine to the correct oil level when using the technicians dipstick as a guide ?

2. does the dashboard oil level reading need to be reset ?

Many thanks for any replies.

Derek
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 23:08   #217
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Hi

I am new to Volvo, drive a 2013 V70 D4, 5 cylinder diesel. I like to self service my cars and have very recently changed the oil and oil filter, and filled the engine with oil using the technicians dipstick as my guide, I filled it to the horizontal bar on the dipstick believing this to be the correct fill level. The dashboard oil level shows it as full, with the overfill red sector at the end blank. I drained the oil to lower the oil level, no sign of oil on the technicians dipstick, checked the oil level via the dashboard again, and it still shows the oil level as full. Prior to my oil change the dashboard oil level reading was always showing 3/4 full.

1. am I filling the engine to the correct oil level when using the technicians dipstick as a guide ?

2. does the dashboard oil level reading need to be reset ?

Many thanks for any replies.

Derek
The gauge needs about 20 miles before it calculates the correct level after an oil change that is why it has to be reset at every oil change .
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 12:30   #218
mm60103

Default rising oil level

Ok to its not a Volvo but the concept might be similar.

The old VW Beetles when used constantly for short runs used to suffer with an increasing oil level. Not that we ever burnt old engine oil but lets just say when you put a cigarette lighter to the end of the dip stick it would catch fire and burn enthusiastically!

If the Beetle was thrashed within an inch of its life its didn't suffer from the problem, the petrol simply evaporated.

If you are genuinely making oil though get it bottled and sold, its worth a fortune!
mm60103 is offline   Reply With Quote