Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help for a First Time Volvo Owner

Views : 564

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 21:51   #1
Cliddoris

Default Help for a First Time Volvo Owner

Hey guys,

Been lurking through these forums any time I've a minor issue, but first post here, first Volvo and first Diesel car.

Anyway, I have an 06 V70, Euro 4 (why did I buy a euro 4)

Purchased the car late 2021 with a couple small issues, but the car was perfectly drivable and is still such... Most of the time. Bought with 118k miles on it, full service history and currently have 124k miles on it.

Current list of issues are:
Steering angle sensor, throws anti skid warning on full lock to the left, common fixes seem to be either clean existing sensor or replace with new unit and code using VIDA

Swirl flaps, appears to be loose and leaking. The arm has popped off and caused me to lose all power, couldn't pull itself up a gentle slope. I've re-attached the arm and it hasn't happened since, but still needs replaced.

EGR, I noticed when using the Torque Pro app with an OBD reader, my commanded EGR sits steady at 94.9 when the car gets up to temperature and doesn't move until I've come to a stop and wait about 3-4, minutes, at which point it will fluctuate as you expect either blips of the throttle.... Strange and beyond my understanding.

Alarm service required, again seems to be fairly common and requires a new module, doesn't really bother me (I wish someone would steal it)

Oil consumption, not the worst oil consumption I've ever seen, but it does appear to have gotten worse in the past 3 or 4 months. I'd done a fresh service right after picking the car up, topped up with 0w30 to around the half way mark between min and max on dip stick, didn't seem to use any oil the first month or 2. But I got a low oil warning after about 3k miles, figured 1L in 3k isn't bad but I have done another 2k since then and have have to top it up again with just over another litre. I have noticed it to be a bit smokier as of late, but the smoke would appear to be unburnt fuel rather than oil, but it's burning the oil too as there aren't any drips to be found.

Last but not least of the issues I have noticed are, there must be a vacuum leak somewhere in the system as I get the distinct popping noise with the oil filler cap removed at idle, I've checked the vac line running to the engine mounts and covered it, does not appear to be the mounts (if only it was so simple)

Basically the things I am fairly confident in addressing will be the alarm module and swirl flaps and while doing the swirl flaps I'll be cleaning out the intake piping, EGR/throttle valve housing and what I can of the intake manifold.

With the other issues, can anyone offer any advice?
Basically, why would EGR be sitting at 94.9% when the car is in motion? But return to normal function after idling for several minutes?
With the vacuum leak, where else should I be looking and how should it be tested? Would the worn swirl flap arm cause a vac leak cause the popping noise?
Last but not least, given the below average mileage of the car and what appears to be frequent oil changes in the records (if they are to be believed) are there any other reasons to look at with regard to the rising oil consumption?

Any help with regard to these would be appreciated greatly.

Jokes aside about hating the car, it's actually a fantastic commuter, tower and daily. Great car, I just feel out of my depth as I'm used to much more simplistic cars.
Cliddoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 21:11   #2
camturbo

Cant help to much chap but you might be better off posting your questions in the 00 to 07 section p2 platform as it's more specific to our cars.