Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre noise ????????????????????????????

Views : 3473

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2012, 18:47   #1
ptf

Default Tyre noise ????????????????????????????

Been to my local dealer with the noise I have posted about (see thread new car, new noise) they also cannot find anything that could be the cause apart from tyre noise. The two front tyres do have a strange, very chunky tread, apparently made my MAX. could this really be then cause of the noise. I have also read on here somewhere, not in xc90 forum, but a v40 I think that there has been a wheel bearing type noise and it turns out tracking was not quite as it should be. The two rear tyres are brand new, and it seems that its the fronts that are causing this noise. I dont want to fork out for new front tyres just yet aS they have around 5 - 6 mm tread,but if it drives my wife mad then may have to, but then if its not, then two tyres have gone to waste and my wallet takes another bashing.
ptf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 19:06   #2
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Get your tracking checked or rechecked if done recently (4-wheel alignment is best) then move the fronts to the rear and see if the noise moves ... you will then be able to tell if its the tyres or not and you'll also have fixed your tracking, even slightly out and you could destroy the fronts or rears in 5-6K miles .... very expensive on a tank.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 22:11   #3
excaleng
Ex Executive Club Member

....or just fit two new front tyres and keep the old ones. If it turns out not to be a tyre problem you can reuse them when the new ones have worn out.
Sold into slavery: Volvo XC90 SE D5 AWD (185BHP) MY06
Retired: Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
excaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 18:08   #4
ptf

Default just a thought

Just been thinking about this noise I have on my r design. A few years ago now I had a C Class Mercedes, which used to suffer from a really annoying noise which was a noise no dealer could find, was not quite the same noise but was a repetetive noise, like something was rubbing and speeded up the faster you went. I joined a Merc forum, much like this one, and some clever owner mentioned that this was a fairly common problem and it turned out to be a £1.79 plastic clip that held the handbrake cable off the driveshaft. Simple fix, just took the heatshield off, cable tied the cable up, and fixed.
Like i say, just a thought, maybe someone has had a similar problem.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 21:39   #5
renesis

i had a similar problem when i got my xc90. i only had the noise at 50mph+ had 4 new tyres wheel balance + allignment done all ok. turned out to be the plastic cover under the engine had come loose and was vibrating and was causing a low frequency vibration which everyone was telling me was just tyre noise.

and its a simple check and fix.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 07:56   #6
raife

Run your hand aound the inner top edge of the tread of each wheel, they sometimes form a weird undulation (wavey) wear pattern which causes a similar noise to wheel bearing.
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:47   #7
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raife View Post
Run your hand aound the inner top edge of the tread of each wheel, they sometimes form a weird undulation (wavey) wear pattern which causes a similar noise to wheel bearing.

Thats a tracking problem, I'd guess.

TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 11:00   #8
raife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post

Its a weird phenomenon that starts probably as a result of tracking but once the undulations start the just progressively get worse. Happens on lots of vehicles.
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 14:52   #9
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post

Can be a fault with the structure of the tyre coming apart too.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 09:20   #10
ptf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Can be a fault with the structure of the tyre coming apart too.
My dad was telling me that years ago he was getting a wheel bearing type noise on his taxi, but his tyre fitting mate told him it was tyre noise, but my dad was convinced that it was a bearing, so had it changed, a couple of weeks later the noise was still there and getting worse, so he bit the bullet and changed a tyre. This did cure it, and his mate cut the old tyre in half to inspect it and it turned out that the side wall had delaminated from the inside, not completely but just enough to give a noise. Looks like I may have to chance two new tyres on the fronts as and if it does not cure it, It will go back to Volvo, as its really annoying.