Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 engine mounts

Views : 629

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 20:44   #1
smartbomb
VOC Member

Default T4 engine mounts

Hi. Does anybody have any experience of changing the engine mounts on a T4? I recently had mine serviced and the guy said that the top-left mount (near the cambelt) was completely shot, hence a knocking noise I've been intermittently having, and also that one near the gearbox was starting to split. I've been quoted £220 to replace all of them (I think there's 4?). Is this a good deal? How difficult would it be to replace them myself and how much do they cost in the first place? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Paul
smartbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 21:00   #2
the great one

there easy to replace. yes there is 4 one by cambelt cover one on gearbox and 2 underneth on cross member. £220 not a bad price for 4 fitted
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 15:26   #3
Andy P
Swedish Cabbage

As has already been confirmed, there is 4 mounts. Its not a particularly difficult job and as an estimate I'd imagine it would take around 1 - 1.5 hours to do yourself if you're fairly good with a spanner. £220 for all 4 fitted sounds like a very good price to me - I was recently quoted around £35 for one of the lower mounts and around £110 for the top drivers side mount (parts alone) for a '98 model. Phase 2 x40's were fitted with a hydraulic top drivers side mounts because of the flawed old design (short life span). I'm unsre of the price for this style mount.

Hope this helps

Andy P
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 15:59   #4
CJL
Master Member

£220 seems pretty good to me. I changed the one by the cambelt myself and I think the (genuine Volvo) part was about £85. The 2 on the cross member are cheaper and I don't know about the other one.

As the others have said dead easy to do, but you need to support the engine (I used a proper support beam) while you undo the mounts.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 16:24   #5
peteS40

Funny you should mention this now, I had EXACTLY the same problem on my T4 and 2 days ago I changed that mount!

Pity you did not post in the 40/50 forum otherwise I would have seen this sooner.

But if you go to the 40/50 forum there is a recent thread I started called "Help with knocking noise" and if you read it you will find all about the saga, links to what part you need from an online seller, details of how to do it, etc. Note that I refer to it as the right-hand mount because it is at the right of the engine, but it is the one that knocks and the one you want to change.

Cheers,
Pete
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 19:16   #6
Big T
Jimmy's Mate!

The one by the cambelt should really be changed as a precution when the cambelt is done, mine had two of the holes fooked and was only holding in the 3rd hole by a couple of threads!!!! think I got the mount for around £30!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote