Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Special Volvo Tool

Views : 1014

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2024, 23:37   #1
vanno

Default Special Volvo Tool

Hi, did I read somewhere that Volvo special tools were available to rent/borrow or something? Maybe I imagined it! Anyway, I need to replace the rear axle bushings on my 97 V70 and apparently you need a Volvo pulling tool to removed and insert the old and new part. Unless someone has another genius way to fit this part. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 13:56   #2
duke1
mad mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanno View Post
Hi, did I read somewhere that Volvo special tools were available to rent/borrow or something? Maybe I imagined it! Anyway, I need to replace the rear axle bushings on my 97 V70 and apparently you need a Volvo pulling tool to removed and insert the old and new part. Unless someone has another genius way to fit this part. Thanks in advance.
hi if you really mean axle bush then no a tool is not required,however the delta link bushes do have a volvo tool needed and costs £60 and i had no answer to my post asking the same question,i am going to do mine soon no tool just a blowtorch a "come along" type winch and use heat to melt/soften the plastic bush (delta link) and use the winch to help pull it out.
fitting a shall having cleaned well fit the new with silicon grease and if needed a big g clamp to push new one in,its not half as hard job as most make out tbh hardest bit is shifting the big main splined bolt in order to release the bushes,parts for volvo.com had the tool.but for a single use cant see the point!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 16:38   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Agree with above, I assume you mean the delta arm bush? I did mine without the tool, heat is your friend but make sure you protect the fuel line on the RHS.

I did it by a using a blow-torch on the bush (lots of smoke so a bit scary but it works) and also hacking out the circular rubber bush with a hacksaw blade so as to make the hole as large as possible, then putting a loop of decent strength chain through it. I then put a heavy sledge hammer through the loop and whacked out in an outwards direction - if you get a big enough loop of chain you can get enough swing to pull it out.

As noted above, the splined bolt that holds it in can be a PITA to get out, again I used heat and a club hammer IIRC, it came eventually. Budget on replacing that bolt!

I used a Meyle replacement part, obtained from PFV online, that's a decent make and they've both been fine ever since, it was a long time ago I changed them.

HTH
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 23:22   #4
vanno

I have the vehicle booked in with my trusted garage who will do this job for me. If I could supply the special Volvo tool, it would have made life much easier. I’m sure they will have their own method. Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 11:26   #5
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

I used the tool bought from Skandix but stripped the threads and shattered the casting on the first one and only just managed to get both out with the replacement they sent through (bless them!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200404_150620788.jpg (168.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200404_151854956.jpg (228.3 KB, 18 views)
PSJVTHEBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PSJVTHEBEST For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 12:09   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJVTHEBEST View Post
I used the tool bought from Skandix but stripped the threads and shattered the casting on the first one and only just managed to get both out with the replacement they sent through (bless them!).
Not good.

Were you using just the main tool or did you also have the strengthening piece that goes with it. Also is that a pattern tool supplied by Skandix or genuine Volvo?

Reason I ask: I bought the genuine Volvo tool from Skandix, along with the strengthening piece several years ago, but have not had the need to use it. I bought it to have on the shelf as and when needed.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 14:01   #7
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

I bought and used the reinforcement tool as well as the tool itself in 2020 (see attached).
Their listing says it is a 'Genuine product from vehicle manufacturer' so I guess it's Volvo. From memory I used a myriad of other things to tease it out at the same time (heat, releasing fluid etc) but I do remember that the amount of force that you had to put through that tool was pretty scary! I had to make sure that the car was super secure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skandix bushing tool.jpg (50.3 KB, 7 views)
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 14:48   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
I bought and used the reinforcement tool as well as the tool itself in 2020 (see attached).
Their listing says it is a 'Genuine product from vehicle manufacturer' so I guess it's Volvo. From memory I used a myriad of other things to tease it out at the same time (heat, releasing fluid etc) but I do remember that the amount of force that you had to put through that tool was pretty scary! I had to make sure that the car was super secure.
That's interesting, although a little concerning. I bought my tool in about 2018 complete with the reinforcement. Both came in genuine Volvo packaging, but like I said have not had a need to use them. So that warm fuzzy feeling - of having the correct tool for the job - is somewhat shattered.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 15:03   #9
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

So sorry! Maybe mine were just exceptionally stubborn. I have read that many others have not had issues. You will know pretty early on if they are going to be pigs!
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 16:13   #10
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
So sorry! Maybe mine were just exceptionally stubborn. I have read that many others have not had issues. You will know pretty early on if they are going to be pigs!
I live in hope that it won't be an issue when the time comes. My car being low mileage and not driven on salted roads is more or less as it left the factory underneath. To date I have not had any issues with rusty bolts etc, but of course there is always the fist time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200720_155241.jpg (143.1 KB, 21 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: