Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5252T Pump Timing

Views : 5051

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2011, 17:44   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiedtke View Post
Anybody know where I can get a new one ?? Or is it main dealer jobby only ??

AFAIK the air mass meter on the 850 TDI is a little old fashioned...
i dont know which version of air mass meter you have , the older bulky alluminium flap type are very reliable, the later conventional air mass meter type can gradualy change its values over time causing this lack of torque under 2000 rpm .. Unlike pertol versions the diesel system has no feedback from a lambda probe to compensate for this .
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 17:46   #12
artiedtke
Just one more thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
i dont know which version of air mass meter you have , the older bulky alluminium flap type are very reliable, the later conventional air mass meter type can gradualy change its values over time causing this lack of torque under 2000 rpm .. Unlike pertol versions the diesel system has no feedback from a lambda probe to compensate for this .

Ah very interesting, AFAIK the D5252T in the 850 TDI came with a FLAP type vane airflow meter whereas the D5252T in the V70 TDI came with a proper electronic MAF.

Am i wrong.

Also how can i tell which kind is fitted to my car ??

'98 V40 2.0T B4204T - died...
'96 855 2.5 TDI D5252T - 255,000 miles
"Diesel without turbo is like a woman without boobs... sure you can drive it, but there's always something missing."
artiedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 17:52   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiedtke View Post
Ah very interesting, AFAIK the D5252T in the 850 TDI came with a FLAP type vane airflow meter whereas the D5252T in the V70 TDI came with a proper electronic MAF.

Am i wrong.

Also how can i tell which kind is fitted to my car ??
If yours is '96 855 2.5 TDI D5252T - 222,222 miles
then you have the bulky mechanical flap type on the air filter housing , so it wouldnt apply with yours . Although in 222000 miles it may be subject to some wear ! However my old 360 GLT had done 250000 miles on its original air mass meter of the same type .
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 18:48   #14
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Excuse me May I interseed here <<<< That "Polite" enough fer ya ??

Quote:
I have professionally dealt with these things on a daily basis since they came out on the 850 Tdi and still do . .
"Professionally" I would agree with yer there ... but most Guys on here are doin their belts on their own Driveways I was "Advocating" that they DO CHECK their Pump Timing because they ARE NOT "professionals" merely trying their best to "save a few Quid" by doin what is a potentially" a "Pig of a Job" (To themselves) Rather then take it to a Professional (such as yourself)..

YOU stated that you do NOT need to check the Pump Timing that statement is based on the fact that (as you say) you Deal with this sort of thing everyday.

The guys on Here DO NOT & therefore "Errors" could & DO occur.
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 19:04   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Yes thats much better thanks :-)

what i said was that pump timing wont need checking between belt changes because unlike an older mechanical diesel the electronics keep the timing adjusted perfectly between it's limits and if it cant, due to incorrect mechanical setting then the engine light will come on with a pump timing code . That goes for whoever sets the timing ..
I shall move on away now ...
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 20:23   #16
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
the electronics keep the timing adjusted perfectly between it's limits and if it cant, due to incorrect mechanical setting then the engine light will come on with a pump timing code .

As has been said in this thread & from MY personal Experience ... NOT TRUE Both the OP & myself have had Pump Timing MANY degrees out & NO ENGINE MGMT LIGHT illuminated
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 04:52   #17
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
As has been said in this thread & from MY personal Experience ... NOT TRUE Both the OP & myself have had Pump Timing MANY degrees out & NO ENGINE MGMT LIGHT illuminated
maybe you need to clarify exactly why you think the pump timing was just going many degrees out on the engines you have dealt with?

having inspected all the parts on my car i really am at quite a loss as to how the pump drive system is just going to move all by itself unless one of the parts is faulty.....

for info purposes i could only get my timing to adjust around 5 degrees on the adjustment itself from one stop to another... any more than that & it was a case of moving teeth on the pulley.

also the eml lit up quite quickly with the engine at +8 degrees, under 8 degrees it was taking about twenty minutes to light...

i would hazard a guess at the real two problems behind the timing on these engines being out is firstly missed timing intervals of the belts to save a few quid & secondly incorrect adjustment in the first place....
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 09:33   #18
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

In my personal case when I bought the S80 the previous owner had had the Belt changed by some baxck street "Spanner Jockey" who quite obviously DID NOT know wot the hell he was doing ..
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 17:42   #19
zaci

Hi, and sorry for language because I don´t know the exact words for certain parts, hope you understand (I´m from Finland).

I have 850 Tdi -96, 558 00km (which is something like 350 000 miles).

I just took my car to local Bosch service for making the belt changing (cam belt, water pump and its belt and all the tightener rollers). The supply pump belt wasn´t changed since it was changed 12 000 miles ago.

The motor was running very smoothly and well before service. Acceleration seemed to be normal, torque at low rpm was good. Never had had any problems with the engine.

But now after service the engine is barely running. Mechanics said that they made all the adjustments to the cam and supply pump belts as always before, but with these factory settings the engine didn´t start at all. Now when they adjusted the supply pump much earlier (which gives the engine failure sign and prevents the electrical adjustment) the engine is running roughly, giving light smoke and lacking almost all of the power.

The main mechanic said that there could be something wrong in the supply pump or in its electronics, and they wanted to disassemble it. The costs would been something like 200 to 1000 euros.

Is it possible that normally running engine or supply pump can be broken in normal service, or is it just lack of skills in the adjustments? Or what else could have possibly gone wrong. They made adjustments to the cam and supply pump timing.

Cheers
zaci is offline   Reply With Quote