Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 PHEV Foibles

Views : 7070

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2022, 22:00   #41
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
If you are anything like me, it's good to have an interesting car rather than something bland that lots of other people have. There's a 'thrill' in owning something decent that not many people know about, I think.
I agree with you entirely about owning an uncommon car. I'm lucky in that I do only around 3,000 miles per year in the Polestar, so fuel economy is relatively unimportant to me. I think that most things that have given issue are age rather than mileage related (exactly why it is invariably the NS ABS sensor that fails first, who knows!). Also, some sloppy, cheap to correct build issues early on and the battery management issues, I keep mine permanently on a trickle charger; I could never leave it at an airport for a few weeks like I used to do with previous cars. Except I have one of those handy lithium battery jump start packs!
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2022, 17:26   #42
Tizwoz

Quote:
If you are anything like me, it's good to have an interesting car rather than something bland that lots of other people have. There's a 'thrill' in owning something decent that not many people know about, I think.
It certainly is an interesting car and mine has cameras and radar which make driving very easy. For local trips it uses no diesel as the battery covers about 24 miles. The 31 mile electric range test result must require a test track.

Sanden developed a special PAG oil compatible with electric compressors. A small amount of the wrong type of PAG oil which is hygroscopic and forms acids can cause insulation faiure. It's going to be very difficult to determine whether that's the cause of the repeated air conditioning compressor failures. There is a potential solution involving the entire air conditioning system but changing the evaporator is very time consuming. A simpler remedy involves washing out the system with refrigerant but how succesful that will be is hard to determine.

Do all Volvo agents understand that a different oul and charging station should be used to avoid cross contamination with oil from standard belt driven air conditioning? There's no indication looking under the bonnet that a special PAG oil is required. Any system requiring a regass is open to being contaminated.

All electric compressors with 134a refrigerant are open to this problem.

Volvo have not done a recall for this problem.

Last edited by Tizwoz; Nov 13th, 2022 at 18:59.
Tizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 20:52   #43
D6PHEV

Right lads.

After taking a chance on replacing the Onboard Charger and the Communication Gateway over recent weeks, Volvo Technical have determined that the HV Battery needs replacing.
I don't know anything about Volvo Technical, or how they work, but part of me feels they're just going for the easy option of saying it's the battery. Especially when the battery still charges when being charged from the engine. I would've thought that means the battery is charging and discharging.
Anyways, the car was only 9 months past the 8 year battery warranty, so the manager is gonna put in a Goodwill Request to see what can be done. Especially since the car has a full service history and had the hybrid battery check completed at the last service.

A few questions.

I think the warranty mentioned 65% capacity. But I think I also read somewhere that if it's a warranty claim, they only cover getting the battery up over the 65% capacity. Did I read that, or am I confusing them with Nissan? And if that's actually what they do, why wouldn't that option be afforded to me, instead of "replace the HV Battery"?
Anyone know the specs of the battery/cells? Would it be possible to swap out the damaged cells?

Thanks guys.
D6PHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 15:31   #44
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Have you stuck with the same (apparently not very good / very iffy) dealer that you've been posting about over the last few months ?

If it's past the 8 year warranty date, the % is all a bit irrelevant, if it's all coming down to goodwill or not. To be honest I would have tried another dealer when the other work / diagnosis wasnt being done properly.I

Let's say it's £10k for a new battery (they won't replace cells locally), are you hoping for a 60% contribution, leaving you with a £4k bill? I wouldn't be happy with them if you're not convinced their track record has been that of a knowledgeable garage...?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 18:19   #45
D6PHEV

Next nearest dealer is 90 miles away, and they're reputation isn't great either.

They said the replacement battery will be €4,500 + VAT (13.5%) + fitting.
Even with a good will gesture of 50%, I'm looking at €2,500 + fitting. Bit saucy.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 20:32   #46
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6PHEV View Post
Next nearest dealer is 90 miles away, and they're reputation isn't great either.

They said the replacement battery will be €4,500 + VAT (13.5%) + fitting.
Even with a good will gesture of 50%, I'm looking at €2,500 + fitting. Bit saucy.
Oh. If the car is still charging ok and there are no obvious signs, is one alternative just to trade it in for something else non-Volvo ?

Might be cheaper than going with the above, especially as you still don't seem to have much confidence in the dealer ?
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 10:43   #47
D6PHEV

Quote:
Oh. If the car is still charging ok and there are no obvious signs, is one alternative just to trade it in for something else non-Volvo ?

Might be cheaper than going with the above, especially as you still don't seem to have much confidence in the dealer ?
That option is there alright.

But my conscience wouldn't allow me to do it!
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:29   #48
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

How much warranty do you get once fixed - 1 / 2 years or the full 8?

If it was me having to spend that kind of money, I'd either keep it for years with a warranty behind it, or get shot of it before opening my wallet.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 19:24   #49
D6PHEV

I'm not sure on the warranty.
Volvo Ireland have a "lifetime warranty" on parts supplied and fitted by main dealers. Doesn't say anything in the "what's not covered" section about the battery, so maybe lifetime? *as if*
https://www.volvocars.com/ie/l/servi...arts-warranty/

As it stands, I've a lifetime warranty on the OBC, the gateway, and the a/c pump.

Problem I have is nobody will buy it the way it is.
So my choices are:
Drive it away the way it is - It's still perfectly driveable, just can't charge it.
Get it fixed and sell it on - You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
Get it fixed and drive her into the ground - It's my money spent on it, I'm gonna get value from it.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 23:51   #50
Tizwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizwoz View Post
It certainly is an interesting car and mine has cameras and radar which make driving very easy. For local trips it uses no diesel as the battery covers about 24 miles. The 31 mile electric range test result must require a test track.

Sanden developed a special PAG oil compatible with electric compressors. A small amount of the wrong type of PAG oil which is hygroscopic and forms acids can cause insulation faiure. It's going to be very difficult to determine whether that's the cause of the repeated air conditioning compressor failures. There is a potential solution involving the entire air conditioning system but changing the evaporator is very time consuming. A simpler remedy involves washing out the system with refrigerant but how succesful that will be is hard to determine.

Do all Volvo agents understand that a different oul and charging station should be used to avoid cross contamination with oil from standard belt driven air conditioning? There's no indication looking under the bonnet that a special PAG oil is required. Any system requiring a regass is open to being contaminated.

All electric compressors with 134a refrigerant are open to this problem.

Volvo have not done a recall for this problem.

My AC compressor has now been changed by my local Volvo dealer. The cost of £1400 doesn't compare well with a normal belt driven one. That price was discounted by Volvo UK and the local dealer. The local dealer warranty is 12 months and the Volvo warranty on the part is for as long as I own the car. Hopefully it will be reliable. Time will tell. As the compressor on the car didn't last two years I remain concerned that battery life may be at risk.
Tizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote