Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT help required please!

Views : 1312

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:38   #1
Gilson

Exclamation URGENT help required please!

Hi All,

I travelled down to Poole, Dorset from Hertfordshire last night and on the M3 hit what seemed like a large pot hole. There's no damage to the car at all.

A few miles later I had "Engine System Service Required". Car has gone into some sort of limp mode. Engine is obviously lacking power but it's driveable.

I've phoned Poole Volvo but they can't do anything (it's Sat morning). I'm waiting to hear from Soton Volvo, but don't hold much hope.

I suspect the pothole is related to the error message, how I don't know, maybe it jiggled a sensor. Anyway, I need the code read and cleared, which I hope will knock it out of limp mode and get me home tomorrow.

Iis there anyone that can offer advice, a local independant garage that can help, or perhaps be in the Poole surrounding area that could help?

Otherwise I'm driving home tomorrwo im limp mode, which I don't mind.

Thank you in advance, much appreciated
Gilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:06   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Just about any OBD2 scanner can read engine codes, so any garage should be able to quickly understand the problem (and probably even repair it).

Good luck.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:07   #3
rxtian

Hi, sorry to hear about your issues, is it the 2015 xc60 from your post history? Unfortunately the “public” version of VIDA doesn’t work on 2015 or later cars (it certainly doesn’t on mine).

If you’re considering Southampton then my family use this garage for our MOTs, not had an issue: https://www.calmoreservicestation.co.uk/ I’m sure they have a generic code reader that could help.

If you are stuck then I also have a generic OBD reader we could have a go with (seems to play nicely with my car but I’ve yet to use it in anger), but it would have to be this evening because it’s my partner’s birthday so we have plans.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:46   #4
Gilson

A local garage had a Snap on Code reader. The fault was "lost connection with turbo". On a test drive he could hear a whistling but couldn't find a split pipe when on the ramp.

We talked about possibilities. Maybe it wasn't a pot hole, could it have been the turbo going bang?

I'm going to drive it home tomorrow. It's going to be a challenge but we'll make it.

It sounds expensive...

Thanks all.

It is a 2015 xc60 with 65k, FVSH too.

________

I'm at a local Poole garage. Reading it now.

Engine light came on and it was juddering a bit too. Oh my, not sure if it will get me home. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtian View Post
Hi, sorry to hear about your issues, is it the 2015 xc60 from your post history? Unfortunately the “public” version of VIDA doesn’t work on 2015 or later cars (it certainly doesn’t on mine).

If you’re considering Southampton then my family use this garage for our MOTs, not had an issue: https://www.calmoreservicestation.co.uk/ I’m sure they have a generic code reader that could help.

If you are stuck then I also have a generic OBD reader we could have a go with (seems to play nicely with my car but I’ve yet to use it in anger), but it would have to be this evening because it’s my partner’s birthday so we have plans.

Last edited by Gilson; Mar 12th, 2022 at 11:56.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:17   #5
rxtian

Good luck mate, let us know how it goes.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 14:44   #6
Gilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxtian View Post
Good luck mate, let us know how it goes.
Thank you.

I have AA cover so if the worse happens I'll at least get a lift home.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 18:17   #7
jadjong

What engine code?
jadjong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 18:32   #8
Brimfull
V50 R-Design SE T5 baby!!

Disconnecting the battery for 30 mins will clear any codes. But if there is a fault as soon as you drive off it will return.

This method has worked for me in the past all be it on older models so not sure how it may effect more modern vehicles.

V50 T5 R-Design SE
Brimfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 19:24   #9
Toprivetguns

Whereabouts in Herts are you? I'm in Hitchin. I had a recurring issue when I hit the same speed bump coming home once. A big range of messages appeared which scared the hell out of me. Long story short, an earth wire had come loose. Re secured, codes cleared, all done.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 19:39   #10
Spirit Man

Remember to open access to battery then switch off and remove key then leave for 10 - 15 minutes before disconnecting battery in order to allow all car modules to upload data to main unit or you may end up with bigger problem.
Check the air pipe from turbo to intercooler and also pipe from intercooler to inlet manifold, if joints were loose it may have popped off with a loud bang or it may have been damaged and failed and giving same result. This will give error codes and limp mode. Check to see if there lots of black smoke from exhaust under acceleration caused by over fuelling as a result of the lack of air getting to combustion chamber for amount of fuel supplied. Hope you get it sorted.
Spirit Man is offline   Reply With Quote