Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 2.3 boost issues

Views : 521

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2018, 20:57   #1
Mattty

Default 940 2.3 boost issues

Wondering if anyone could help me diagnose my boost issues in my 1997 940 2.3. Stock everything apart from a 16t/15g hybrid turbo and a ball/spring type MBC set at 14psi. Planning on putting a 3" downpipe on very soon and I also have an ecu chip to go on but want to wait until my boost issue was sorted.

Basically when I accelerate in 1st/2nd gear, my boost spikes to 12psi then settles and holds 9/10psi to redline. However when accelerating in 3rd/4th gear everything seems to boost as normal and boost builds to 14psi and stays there to redline.

I thought it might be the fact that boost is building too quickly in 1st/2nd and leaking(?) so I just tried to very slowly build boost in 2nd, but as soon as it hits 9/10psi it just stays there and wont go past.

Scratching my head a bit at this as I'm new to boosted cars so any suggestions as to what it could be or what to look for are helpful.

Cheers
Mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 21:43   #2
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Sounds perfectly normal to me. In 1st and 2nd there is insufficient load to sustain high boost. If its holding 14psi in 3rd and 4th then you have no issues at all.
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 22:49   #3
Mattty

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
Sounds perfectly normal to me. In 1st and 2nd there is insufficient load to sustain high boost. If its holding 14psi in 3rd and 4th then you have no issues at all.
Thanks for the reply. Still trying to wrap my head around controlling boost; does that mean that if I set, in theory, my MBC to 20psi and it held this in 3rd and 4th, would it be able to hold in more than the 10psi in 1st and 2nd?

Edit - Just took it out for another spin and realised it doesn't actually hold 14psi to redline. When I tested it in 4th it held 14psi to around 4-5k then dropped back off to 10psi. My bad. Still only climbs to 9/10psi in 1st and 2nd gear, however.

Last edited by Mattty; Aug 27th, 2018 at 23:45.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 00:07   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattty View Post
Thanks for the reply. Still trying to wrap my head around controlling boost; does that mean that if I set, in theory, my MBC to 20psi and it held this in 3rd and 4th, would it be able to hold in more than the 10psi in 1st and 2nd?

Edit - Just took it out for another spin and realised it doesn't actually hold 14psi to redline. When I tested it in 4th it held 14psi to around 4-5k then dropped back off to 10psi. My bad. Still only climbs to 9/10psi in 1st and 2nd gear, however.
The thing that spins the turbo up in the first place is the expansion of hot exhaust gases. If you're only generating enough load on the engine that it pushes out just enough hot exhaust gases in 1st and 2nd to build 10psi, setting your BMC further above what you've already got won't create any more boost.

To see what i mean on a more practical level, find a steep hill near you, drive along at 30mph in 4th then when you start going uphill and losing speed, floor the loud pedal (still in 4th) and watch the boost gauge.
You should see it climb fairly steadily to 14psi or whatever your MBC is set at.

Now do the same but in 3rd gear.

Then do the same, in 3rd gear again but only squeeze the loud pedal enough to just accelerate up the hill - not losing or maintaining speed but only just accelerating.

This will give you three different load levels, the lightest load will be the last one and the engine won't have to work so hard so there will be less hot exhaust gases to flow through the turbo impeller, expanding as they go. As such, you'll get less boost.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 01:37   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

What is your standard boost?

The B230FK actuator is not very stable boosting to 10+psi, B230FT is more stable.

Also 14psi is a bit high for standard fueling IMO, but not sure.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 19:42   #6
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattty View Post

Sounds completely normal, again down to load. In the top end of 4th past 5k your not passing the air through the engine (mainly due to cam restrictions but also restriction in the exhaust manifold, turbine housing and downpipe) and therefore not producing exhaust gasses to spin the turbine and so less boost.

If for some reason you want more boost up top then you have options:

Fit a cam that works past 5k - v cam is cheap and good

Fit an adjustable cam gear to shift the power band where you want it

Fit a turbo with a larger turbine housing (15g/16T/18T/19T are easy fit)

Port the exhaust manifold (big restriction here)

Fit a larger diameter downpipe

Or do all the above with some bigger injectors a decent tune, basic chips like TLAO will work but a custom tune is far superior, and then be happy with 240bhp.

Just increasing the boost to 20psi as you suggested to get your target of 14psi is a bad idea.
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 22:29   #7
Mattty

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
Sounds completely normal, again down to load. In the top end of 4th past 5k your not passing the air through the engine (mainly due to cam restrictions but also restriction in the exhaust manifold, turbine housing and downpipe) and therefore not producing exhaust gasses to spin the turbine and so less boost.

If for some reason you want more boost up top then you have options:

Fit a cam that works past 5k - v cam is cheap and good

Fit an adjustable cam gear to shift the power band where you want it

Fit a turbo with a larger turbine housing (15g/16T/18T/19T are easy fit)

Port the exhaust manifold (big restriction here)

Fit a larger diameter downpipe

Or do all the above with some bigger injectors a decent tune, basic chips like TLAO will work but a custom tune is far superior, and then be happy with 240bhp.

Just increasing the boost to 20psi as you suggested to get your target of 14psi is a bad idea.
Thanks, that was super helpful!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mattty For This Useful Post: