Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Fuel Gauge

Views : 852

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2021, 20:48   #1
Forrest
VOC Member

Default V90 Fuel Gauge

Time to start a few minor jobs on my new to me 1997 V90 bought from someone on the forum. In actual fact it’s in pretty good condition and doesn’t need much. But first on the list is the non-functioning fuel gauge.

The instrument and the cable as far as the rear cubbyhole appear to be alright. The gauge is permanently showing empty with the low fuel indicator illuminated. The tank is currently full. If I undo the 4-pin connector in the cubbyhole and short the two wires associated with the gauge (the two finer gauge wires) the gauge goes rapidly to full upon turning the key to position 2. The resistance across the pair of wires to the in-tank sender is 114 Ohms.

Presumably the problem is the float in the tank. Is this repairable or is it a case of finding a working exchange unit?

I am not afraid to remove the fuel sender having practised the art on my 1994 940 last year. But it there’s a potential quick fix I’ll take that too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E452E377-6A65-47ED-B0D4-ABCA8FBE0ED1.jpeg (151.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg 3D92BE86-F879-41E5-92F9-5B075D5D95EE.jpeg (113.8 KB, 6 views)
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:17   #2
mjk164
VOC Member

Hi Forrest, I had this same problem on my 1993 960 some years ago and traced it down to the tank sender unit. A bit of a pain to get at it but with patience and using the guidance in the VOC pages, you can get there. I found out that, after sorting out the dashboard gauge unit, there was a faulty tank sending unit after doing the same tests that you have done by joining sender wires, to gat a full needle deflection. When I eventually got the unit out, the slider that goes up and down with the level (to vary the resistance and send it to the gauge) had a badly worn sliding copper contact and I changed it for a good one from another unit. The sender units have different spiral lengths for different cars but the sliding contact part is the same, and can easily be changed. When I did mine, it has now done at least 80k miles so the repair is good. Good luck.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2021, 21:34   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

Based on the recent discussion in this thread

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316866

I tried thumping the bottom of the tank and the gauge is now working again! I’m not sure whether it will prove to be a long term fix. However, it has to be the easiest car repair ever.

What made this worth a try was that I had previously narrowed the fault down to being the sender and tested the actual gauge. Another clue was that the low fuel light was illuminated. Dash PCB errors tend to cause the gauge to read empty without the light.

The method I employed was to stop the car over the crown of my sloping driveway and reach underneath with a rubber mallet. I thumped the tank in about the centre of the rear/bottom part roughly where the sender makes contact with the bottom of the tank.
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2021, 21:58   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad the percussive maintenance worked for you!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2021, 22:06   #5
Exasperant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
What made this worth a try was that I had previously narrowed the fault down to being the sender and tested the actual gauge. Another clue was that the low fuel light was illuminated. Dash PCB errors tend to cause the gauge to read empty without the light.
Yeah, I had both stuck float and cluster issues!

Quite a relief when Fonzying it actually works.
Exasperant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exasperant For This Useful Post: