Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon fuel consumption

Views : 1695

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2021, 17:17   #11
packers1712

I do only run it on superplus/vpower or what ever 99+ octane I can!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 21:15   #12
woodman
Master Member

I've driven my 3-speed auto Amazon 50,000 miles over 11 years and always got 23 mpg. I'm quite heavy-footed, and the car likes to be wellied. But in that time I've changed the engine, rebuilt the head, fitted electronic ignition, reverted to points, tried different fuels...Always 23. Then I changed the Stromberg carb for an SU, and now I'm getting 29! On a decent run, that is, not around hilly Sheffield.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 22:32   #13
finntock

Default 123gt

I use the Shell V-Power wherever possible. The engine does seem to run much sweeter. As for fuel consumption, I record the miles covered and fuel bought each time I fill up (a hangover from the days the fuel gauge did not work), but have not calculated the mpg for 8 years! I did get between 18 and 30, depending upon usage. Now days I just drink good wine.
finntock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 20:50   #14
amaz'in

Hi Doug,

I have a 69 131 so a B20A and a very late 70 133 so a B20B, the latter I aim to bring to Southwold unless the rain is utterly torrential.

Derek, are you going? I attended the last one in my Mid Blue 131 and you were there.

Doug 142 bhp (flywheel) is a very impressive figure if the Dyno was accurate, and it would take a certain approach to arrive at a figure such as this for example:

A very healthy B20 (somewhat below 50-60k miles) and preferably a recently re-built or very fresh motor to begin with. 142 bhp so likely an SAE figure? Volvo achieved 118 bhp from a B20b as it left the factory.

So a certain route needs to be followed, actually at this point I'm going to convert to DIN as I can compute these more easily. 118 is 100 DIN, actually 101 by the Green book, but let's stick with 100 bhp for now.

You would need rid of the original B20b strangling dual butterfly emissions manifold, but likely you never had this if a 131 converted to 133 spec, either the earlier alloy inlet manifold along with the E/Injection exhaust manifold as fitted to the 1800E/140GL, or a tubular exhaust manifold from the likes of Simons, along with the rest of the free flowing exhaust would get you to around 107/8 Ish.

Head and cam next, you would need to up the compression ratio from 9.3:1 to it least 10.0:1 then, port+ polishing inlet and exhaust manifolds and also the head along with careful gas flowing and with 44 mm inlet valves and careful chamber cc'ing would get you to 135-137 Ish, next up cam choice, changing a B cam (standard B20b) to a D/K cam might get you to 140+...just but only with around 100 octane and the appropriate advance which lower octane unleaded won't allow.

D cam will achieve a tiny amount more power Top end but not as tractable as a K, if you have a D cam it will really pick up as rpm goes over 3500 rpm but will be quite lumpy below 1500-2000 rpm.

D/K cam need to idle around 900 rpm B cam 800. F cam (next up from D/K will idle around 1000 so these figures may give clues to cam type but wouldn't recommend F/R/S/U for road use and local trips to the supermarket etc.

James.
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2021, 17:37   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

Sorry James, I won't be there. My Estate hasn't been out of the garage since November 1999. I've run it a few times and it's insured but want to replace a NS front lower ball joint due to a split gaiter and I have new discs to go on due to the NS one being warped. Was hoping for a spell of dry weather but we've had virtually no dry days this month. Car isn't at home and the garage it's in is "compact". Don't want to pull it out, get stuck and can't get it back in!
Sunday weather for Southwold currently cloudy/sunny up to noon and then cloudy after that. Temps 11-12º.
I fully expect to go to Sywell.
Enjoy
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2021, 06:53   #16
amaz'in

Hi Derek,

That's a pity, well guess I will see you at Sywell in that case.

Didn't you arrive by Amazon Estate St the last Southwold gathering?

J.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 10:37   #17
simon roberts

Crikey, Derek that's 22years........the Time machine.....😜🤓
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2021, 18:30   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Glad to give you a laugh. 2019 of course but the calendar has been irrelevant to me for so long now I might as well not have one.

Yes J I was there with the Estate. Sorry to have missed out on the full English. Sywell Cafe does a very good one so I'll look forward to that.

Last edited by Derek UK; May 23rd, 2021 at 18:33.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2021, 10:56   #19
amaz'in

I must admit Derek had me scratching my head somewhat (easily done lol)

Since he hardly seems to make a mistake in his posts I was left feeling the Amazon estate and driver at the 2019 meet was a doppelganger or twin brother lol.

Doug a thought on your drivers seat height, you are probably aware the seats are height adjustable, I believe mine is set at the standard middle position but maybe yours isn't?

There's two brackets at rear of seat, well a really in the middle of the seat base, these have 3 positions, and a single threaded rod eyelet in the front of the base, there's not a huge range of adjustment but maybe enough to make a difference unless the seat base webbing is a bit saggy?

J.
Old May 28th, 2021, 12:31   #20
packers1712

Good morning James,

Regarding seat height I'm already currently as high as the adjustment will allow
the webbing looks to have been replaced reasonably recently I think its the foam inserts!

I had a look for some and as you correctly pointed out they are expensive for what they are, so in the short term I have added a square sheet of 25mm foam on top of the webbing and put the base onto that which initially seems like a substantial improvement but I haven't been down the road with it like this yet.

Also got some late radiator grills from eBay so hopefully they'll be ok when they turn up!

A couple of things that the run to Southwold has brought to light is that the gearbox oil leak that I considered to be manageable may need attention sooner than I'd hoped, the suspension seems to have developed a few "clunks" and I have a brake judder all of which can probably be attributed to being stood for some years whilst in custody of the PO.

Maybe see you at Sywell in September unless you are planning on attending any events before then?

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote