Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 49921

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2021, 14:50   #491
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Nice updates Tom, you're doing some great work there.

A shame about the tyres, what brand and model are they? I'm sure Mark knows what I'm going to say... get yourself a set of Bridgestone tyres especially when it is going to be a 2.5 turbo you will need the grip!

Yes you will need to torque it up with the weight on the axle, if you get the axle stands under the axle then you can torque it up as it will have the same effect as being on its wheels. I can't remember just how tight I did everything up so it might be worth slackening the bolts a little first to make sure they aren't tight enough to not let the bushes 'settle' when you have the weight on them.

Good choice on the torque wrenches... who gave you such a brilliant suggestion?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 15:22   #492
griston64
Premier Member

I didn't know you liked Bridgestones Luke, you've never mentioned it before :
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 16:16   #493
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I didn't know you liked Bridgestones Luke, you've never mentioned it before :
Didn't I? 🤪

I've heard you like them too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 17:19   #494
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Didn't I? 🤪

I've heard you like them too
I'll stick with my Falkens i think.

Knowing the roads near where Tom lives, i'd suggest he goes for them or Pirellis, possibly Bridgestones at a push. If i lived where Luke lives or further north, i'd suggest Bridgestones too but NOT Pirellis!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 15:12   #495
TomSaintJames

Today has seen the handbrake gubbins back in, as promised. I had forgotten how fiddly the damn springs are! I am very glad I made the big spend on a spring tool (it was 1.99 ). Blood handbrake shoes have scratched my paint though! New flexi's on too. Smart

When Luke and I were battling with the wheel adaptors, wieldng the angle grinder of destruction, one of the discs got caught so sensible chap that Luke is, he brought a pair of decent used rear discs. They were a bit rusty though!

Before:

After:

They're tucked away in a bag with a nice coating of WD40 to stop any more rust, especially after all my efforts to remove the bloody stuff! I used a wire brush followed by 80 grit and 240 grit. They've come up pretty good, so hopefully the MOT man will be happy.

That is the Volvo content of today sorted, i'll ring Bigg red about the calipers then I need to get on with a tomato planter for the conservatory that the OH has been on at me for! We've gone for 2 grafted plants this year rather than seed grown, one grafted plant is supposed to yield the same as several standard plants so we'll see how that goes, less watering and feeding etc suits me just fine.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2021, 23:10   #496
TomSaintJames

I made some decent progress today, inbetween showers at least! Very odd it was, lovely sunshine follwed all of a sudden by an intense shower. Delayed April showers perhaps?

The ol' girl is on her own 4 wheels again, i'm not quite sure of the new 15" alloys but they are growing on me, my current state of mind is thet they look 'smart'. It does look quite odd with the front 17" steels on and the 15" standard alloys on the back. I think putting the volvo alloys on the front will have to be bumped up in the priority list, this means looking into the front brakes too of course... Fingers crossed the front calipers don't need refurbishing too! Although I expect some new parts might be required up there.

First though re-assembly. I didn't go for new caliper retention patch bolts as Haynes suggests, but I did clean up the old ones, removing the old thread-lock and putting a drop or two of new stuff in the hole for the bolts. They cleaned up quite nicely, and the heads are hardly rounded at all, excellent.

Newly refurbished SHINY calipers! I do like shiny. A lot. New pads, flexis, sliders and clips makes it all rather nice. I must say I was impressed with Bigg Red, they were pretty quick, speedy postage and excellently packed calipers on return too. The calipers themselves look very smart, the standard finish is pretty good and although I was tempted with a fancy top coat, they'll never be seen and as it was an expense I wasn't expecting the standard finish is just fine.

All reassembled. The sharp eyed amongst you may notice that one of the pads isn't correctly secured (2nd pic), I thankfully did notice this, so had the sliders back out and re-inserted them properly.

I got my new Teng torque wrenches out for the very first time, lovely bits of kit. And they come with a box.

Torqued the caliper bolts up to spec (the top bolts at least, the bottom ones that you can't get a socket on were just done up BLOODY tight), I also torqued up all the rear axle bolts/nuts that I could. The trailing arm's axle retaining bracket and torque rod nuts i'll need to buy the correct sockets for, I didn't have a deep 17mm 3/8" drive nor any 19mm 1/2" drive socket (ordered this evening), they got tightened as much as I could with a spanner for now though.

So rear brakes/wheels? Check - although the handbrake needs adjusting of course. Axle? Just needs a few more bolts torquing and some new diff oil. Next? I think we'll look into the front brakes and swap over the front wheels, selling the 17" steelies will help offset some of the unexpected costs at the very least! I expect when it comes to it i'll be asking about worhtwhile front brake upgrades to deal with the extra oomph of the 2.5 turbo, but i'll see what I find when I get there, the front calipers/discs/pads may be shot anyway. The front adaptor plates will have to come off too... We'll see how that goes!

I must get some new indicator/sidelight units too, they are quite crazed and faded. The volvo alloys are ok, the pictures are VERY flattering. Ideally they need refurbshing, but a bloody good polish will certainly help remove some of the stains and marks. I put the two best tyres on the back, the other two will definitely need replacing for the front, i'll look into that before they go on. The AX needs a new tyre or two aswell and the MOT is coming up, so I may be looking for deals and offers if nayone knows of any just now?

Thanks folks, comments and opinions welcome I wonder if there are any more Hearses on here?
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2021, 00:28   #497
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The new threadlock is meant to go on the bolt threads Tom, not in the bolt holes. Still an acceptable way round fitting new patch bolts though.

Those Volvo wheels look a lot better than those horrible steel things wrapped in rubber bands!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 10:51   #498
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The new threadlock is meant to go on the bolt threads Tom, not in the bolt holes. Still an acceptable way round fitting new patch bolts though.

Those Volvo wheels look a lot better than those horrible steel things wrapped in rubber bands!
Interesting you should say that Dave as it was what I had planned to do, however the tube of threadlock said for closed-end bolt holes, to apply the threadlock in the hole.

I'm looking at tyres this morning, i'm off Friday so want to book two new ones for the new front alloys. Is there any particular Bridgestones you'd recommend Luke? D The shortlist so far is:

-Goodyear efficientgrip performance 2: B/A/68 (fuel/wet grip/noise) - current favourite, had these on several cars now and they are brilliant! Quiet comfortable and grippy. £60.50 each

-Bridgestone Ecopia EP150: A/A/69 - a little more expensive than above, but better fuel rating, important that £62.99 each

Both qualify for £10 off with a discount code on asdatyres.com, there are no Pirellis or Falkens on their wesbite interestingly.
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 11:07   #499
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Interesting you should say that Dave as it was what I had planned to do, however the tube of threadlock said for closed-end bolt holes, to apply the threadlock in the hole.

I'm looking at tyres this morning, i'm off Friday so want to book two new ones for the new front alloys. Is there any particular Bridgestones you'd recommend Luke? D The shortlist so far is:

-Goodyear efficientgrip performance 2: B/A/68 (fuel/wet grip/noise) - current favourite, had these on several cars now and they are brilliant! Quiet comfortable and grippy. £60.50 each

-Bridgestone Ecopia EP150: A/A/69 - a little more expensive than above, but better fuel rating, important that £62.99 each

Both qualify for £10 off with a discount code on asdatyres.com, there are no Pirellis or Falkens on their wesbite interestingly.
Never seen any instructions like that on threadlock before Tom, always gone with putting it on the bolt as that's where it was originally.

I'd swerve the Goodyears if i was you, there have been many cases of the tyres cracking up prematurely, some of them on here!

Are there no independent tyre places round your neck of the woods?

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...n&m%5B46%5D=on

If that link works, it should list some options for Pirelli, Bridgestone and Falken. Fitting and delivery are listed if you click the button top left with the three lines in it. If memory serves Luke likes the Bridgestone Turanza T005 but i might be wrong.

*** EDIT ***

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/195-65-1...load_index=all

First result in that link is the Bridgestone Turanza T005 Tom, using the code gives you £20 ofAsda vouchers on 2 or more tyres.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; May 4th, 2021 at 11:37.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:28   #500
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Bridgestone Turanza T001 EVO or if you want an all season tyre the the Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO.

I've got the Turanza on the front of my 940 on about 20k miles and only half worn and they're brilliant. The grip they give is amazing and you can feel what the tyre is doing, no sudden loss of grip etc.

I've got the weather control on the rear which were faultless in the snow a few months ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: