Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 49938

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2020, 12:50   #401
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Jinyu tyres are horrible things! Had some on both my 760 and the Cherokee before that - as much grip as a Teflon-coated ice-cube on a Teflon-coated skating rink!

I think the words "Chinese DItchfinder" was invented for them but even the original Chinese Ditchfinder (the Nankang) has improved in recent years, shame the Jinyu hasn't!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 12:53   #402
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I had Jinyu tyres on the front of my 940 when I bought it, they had nice little dancing elephant on them just to really hammer home how cheap Chinese junk they were. Awful tyres so I got Bridgestone performance tyres fitted all round a few days after buying it.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 15:37   #403
TomSaintJames

I'm quite enjoying driving the hearse at the monent, after the work done over the last couple of weeks. I eve cleaned the CD players screen to main unit contacts so that the screen didn't keep turning off.

I booked a study today and in a break thought i'd have a quick rekky on which rear diff the hearse has. The internet said it was likely to have a 3.91, so I got some carb cleaner out and managed to unearth the sticker. Took some scrubbing!

So it has the 3.91 ratio at the rear, am I right in thinking that post penta conversion, when there is hopefully a reasonable torque increase, that it may benefit economy to swap the rear diff for a lower ratio? The options seem to be 3.31/3.54/3.73. In the 7 series the 3.31 only came with the B28A and BW55 autobox and the 3.54 only came with the other B28 flavours (B28A/E/F), interestingly the B280 came with the 3.91 ('E') and 3.73 ('F'). Thos early V6's must have been quite the plodders with that high gearing and tiny power!
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Mar 13th, 2020 at 15:44.
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 18:21   #404
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
I'm quite enjoying driving the hearse at the monent, after the work done over the last couple of weeks. I eve cleaned the CD players screen to main unit contacts so that the screen didn't keep turning off.

I booked a study today and in a break thought i'd have a quick rekky on which rear diff the hearse has. The internet said it was likely to have a 3.91, so I got some carb cleaner out and managed to unearth the sticker. Took some scrubbing!

So it has the 3.91 ratio at the rear, am I right in thinking that post penta conversion, when there is hopefully a reasonable torque increase, that it may benefit economy to swap the rear diff for a lower ratio? The options seem to be 3.31/3.54/3.73. In the 7 series the 3.31 only came with the B28A and BW55 autobox and the 3.54 only came with the other B28 flavours (B28A/E/F), interestingly the B280 came with the 3.91 ('E') and 3.73 ('F'). Thos early V6's must have been quite the plodders with that high gearing and tiny power!
My B280E had the 3.91:1 diff Tom, i've now gone higher to the 3.54:1 diff, it only benefits economy on the open road where i can maintain 50+mph, no difference on the lower speed roads really.

Remember the ratio is input to output, 3.54:1 is 3.54 turns of the propshaft to give one turn of the wheels.
As such, a 3.54:1 is higher than a 3.91:1 as the 3.91:1 takes 3.91 turns of the propshaft to get one turn of the wheel.

To be honest, i'd stick with the 3.91 for now (especially if you have ABS) and see how it goes.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 20:36   #405
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Having ABS or not is not a factor at all in changing the diff. You just need to have a matching tone ring.

I have a couple of 3.54 axles about
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 21:31   #406
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Having ABS or not is not a factor at all in changing the diff. You just need to have a matching tone ring.
That's the problem. The 1988 cars had 96 tooth tone rings on ABS cars .

Old Apr 5th, 2020, 13:51   #407
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Hope you are staying well in lockdown Tom, I just had a thought. IIRC you bought the fuel pump from my 1st breaker which was a 97 car, therefore it has the high flow in tank pump so getting enough fuel to the bigger engine definitely won't be a problem.

Just randomly popped in to my head!
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 18:26   #408
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Hope you are staying well in lockdown Tom, I just had a thought. IIRC you bought the fuel pump from my 1st breaker which was a 97 car, therefore it has the high flow in tank pump so getting enough fuel to the bigger engine definitely won't be a problem.

Just randomly popped in to my head!
Hey Luke, all well here. Tbh it's not much different to pre-lockdown for me, I was pretty much self-isolated with my studies beforehand! Will be a mild nuisance after my exams in May, but plenty to do house/garden/cars to keep me occupied.

I bought some complete front strut housings from you and some rear springs, but i have no memory of buying a fuel pump! I've not replaced the Hearse's pump, but I didi make a fuss about changing the filter a while back. Am I right in thinking that there is a difference in pump setups in early and late cars? IIRC one has two pumps and the other just one. I do know the hearse has one outisde the tank at least.

How are you getting on, working form home or doing fun jobs? I must admit, I am slightly envious of people who are 'stuck' and cannot work from home, in some ways at least.

Not much going on with the Hearse, exams approaching means revision is full steam ahead, medical genetics and cellular pathology are not the simplest of subjects... I have been entertaining the hospital on occasin however, the multistorey car park is now free, so on my long shifts i'm driving and parking in there. The hearse just fits in one normal space, if sticking about a bit! SOme of the comments have been hilarious, but the shocked looks less so! I feel I should have a sign to say *not in service* or something
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Apr 5th, 2020 at 18:29.
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 18:51   #409
LankyTim
Missing the point

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but what wheels are fitted? They look a bit laguna-ish.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 19:55   #410
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Everyone in lockdown has time to do all the stuff they've been putting off now haha, I know I have! If you look at the other thread "corona spare time" you will see what everyone has been up to.

Ahhh it must be another Tom that bought it then.

Yes the later cars have one high flow pump in the tank where as early cars have a low pressure pick up pump in the tank and a high flow one under the car.

I do like the thought of showing up at the hospital in a hearse form the 80's and seeing people's faces.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: