Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Too reliable

Views : 1957

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2021, 10:26   #11
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Incredible mileage to still have the original clutch and exhaust! Good work!
My 1998 C70 T5 GT which I had for 17 years from new went 280K on original clutch, 290K on exhaust (and then it was just the rear box hanger rusted away). Even the struts and rear dampers lasted 250K and I only changed those out of an abundance of caution given the miles they had done. In fact the only other things replaced in 415K miles that were non-service items were the a/c pump, a/c condenser, heater matrix and ABS reluctor rings.

Just goes to show how reliable Volvo's were if maintained properly and driven with consideration. Pity the same cannot be said for current Volvo's (the current XC90 has been rated as the UK's most unreliable car by Which.)

John.
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2021, 13:05   #12
Simmy
Premier Member

there is a big differance between drivers who maintain and drive and owner who just drive till things fail and then whine abt maintanance cost when things could have been caught early .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 12:00   #13
Bendolfc
Premier Member

To bring it to a close, it went for scrap in the end. Shame but got £325 for it, a lot easier than trying to sell with a wheel bearing needing replacement and defective exhaust mount (pipe clip).

If I had the space to keep hold of it for a bit I'd have put some effort into b trying to sell it but as it was this was the easiest option
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210518_110758.jpg (296.8 KB, 19 views)
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 14:14   #14
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

It can be sad to see them go, can't it?

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 16:13   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
I jinxed that a bit. Ended up replacing 2 calipers a couple of months back. Then got the unmistakable drone of a failed wheel bearing and have noticed its started to deposit some oil on the drive.

Rather than spend money on it when it's on the original clutch still and that will likely need doing at some point, I've just bought an E Class instead. Will miss the Volvo but the Merc feels huge despite only being 43cm longer.
Nice Merc. I hope its as reliable as the Volvo!
Old May 20th, 2021, 16:21   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Incredible mileage to still have the original clutch and exhaust! Good work!
not for volvo going back 40 years :-) some of the early 2.0 diesel ford engines were worn out by 80000 until volvo realised their specification clutch was not being fitted to that particular engine ...
Old May 20th, 2021, 16:31   #17
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
not for volvo going back 40 years :-) some of the early 2.0 diesel ford engines were worn out by 80000 until volvo realised their specification clutch was not being fitted to that particular engine ...
I often wonder about this kind of thing. Whether Volvo upgraded any Ford spec parts, or whether replacement Volvo parts may be of higher quality that what was originally offered (e.g wheel bearings).
Old May 20th, 2021, 16:39   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
I often wonder about this kind of thing. Whether Volvo upgraded any Ford spec parts, or whether replacement Volvo parts may be of higher quality that what was originally offered (e.g wheel bearings).
volvo upgraded the renault engines internaly
and 5 cyl vw diesels belt transmissions .. but I doubt they touched the PSA Ford units ,

Like wise Renault modified the volvo engines when they put them in their cars
.... by fitting the bolt on parts with soft black " cardboard" gaskets which caused all manner of problems ..
Old May 21st, 2021, 12:33   #19
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
It can be sad to see them go, can't it?
My 6 year old had taken to giving it a hug before it went. As it went for scrap, I only handed over 1 key and have given him the other to keep as a reminder.
Old May 21st, 2021, 12:35   #20
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Nice Merc. I hope its as reliable as the Volvo!
I hope so, but I can't imagine it will be. Seems to be a lot more to go wrong but time will tell.

Slightly annoyed with myself as just found the original projectors, so could have swapped them back over and made some money on the retrofitlabs ones.

On the subject of lights, looking forward to properly trying the Merc out at night, the adaptive shadow led headlights should be a nice step up.