Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swift LED light problem

Views : 3914

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2020, 21:42   #11
moncman

Thanks for all the replies - most of you have hit the nail on the head to varying degrees.

However, I will summarise in case anyone else finds they have this problem.

Firstly, the strange lights - (owners of different cars report slightly different results) - only happen with Swift models using Sargent electrics. This is therefore clearly avoidable and indeed Sargent will supply a Vehicle Lighting Module (VLM) which sorts the problem. I fully expect this has an addition resistor in circuit which provides the fix as previously suggested but owing to all the other electrics (it replaces the original module) comes in a £97. The latest VLM6 sorts all non-compatible cars and is invisible to those that would never have had a problem.

Secondly the problem only arises if the car does not have low voltage lights somewhere, with the CanBus designed accordingly. If you have LED high level brake lights or LED day running lights or just a more modern model you won't have a problem. XC60s don't appear to bother, new XC90s likewise and possibly older XC90s after 2012 or so. My 2010 XC90 certainly does.

I agree it's the cars fault (if we are desperate to apportion blame) but ultimately Swift did not make a touring caravan that could be towed by a full range of towcars without modification.

So I guess as one poster said - I can cough up and shut up - although I still think the fact that Sargent make a VLM6 indicates they know there is a problem and could make all models compatible with all cars for a few quid if they modified the basic light module at source. I like the simple resistor fix but would need to find an auto-electrician as I'm not confident in hacking into my electrics.

Thanks for all replies and info.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 05:47   #12
Whyman
Premier Member

Thanks for the update.

Just to put it into perspective you have spent £30k on a new caravan and won’t spent £97 to sort out a problem!

I know it’s annoying but just a thought!
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 22:48   #13
moncman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Thanks for the update.

Just to put it into perspective you have spent £30k on a new caravan and won’t spent £97 to sort out a problem!

I know it’s annoying but just a thought!
Pretty much that's exactly where I stand. Imagine if you bought a new car then had to buy an after-market kit from Halfords to make it road legal.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 23:22   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
Pretty much that's exactly where I stand. Imagine if you bought a new car then had to buy an after-market kit from Halfords to make it road legal.
You have to buy VED - same principle except you're buying it from the govt not Hellfrauds.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 19:05   #15
peterskinn

Default XC 70 towbar electrics

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but am delighted to find this thread - which seems to highlight a problem(s) similar to mine....

I've just bought a 2009 XC70 with the Volvo detachable towbar and 13 socket electrics. My Caravan is a 2017 Swift Fairway (Challenger) with LED lights.

When connected, I am getting symptoms as follows:-

1. The Caravan sidelights are continuously flickering

2. The indicators work at a faster than normal speed

3. There is no specific indication on the instrument cluster when indicating and no audible signal (I am assuming there should be?)

4. I get two warning displays "Trailer Brake lights" and "Trailer Indicator Bulb" I can "Read" these and they go off but of course return if the car is stopped.

Having said all of the above ALL the lights on the 'van operate as they should do, including fog and reverse lights.....

I have initially removed and checked out the wiring loom from the control box in the boot to the 13pin socket, suspecting dirty contact and short circuits (it's apparent that the towbar has been little used) However everything checks out fine and insulation within the socket is in good order.

Having read this thread I'd be pretty sure that the root cause is the sensing current operating the LED's and the lack of filament bulbs "fooling" the car into thinking that the trailer has faulty bulbs??

Is it also possible that the car software is out of date??

Can the sensing circuit be removed/disabled without sending the canbus system into a spin?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Peter S
peterskinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2020, 19:34   #16
Whyman
Premier Member

If you log on to the Sargent website and search for VLM4 they have a special offer on a replacement unit that should overcome your problem. £42.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 15:04   #17
peterskinn

Great stuff - Thanks!

A job for over the winter months!

Peter
peterskinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 18:31   #18
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinn View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but am delighted to find this thread - which seems to highlight a problem(s) similar to mine....

I've just bought a 2009 XC70 with the Volvo detachable towbar and 13 socket electrics. My Caravan is a 2017 Swift Fairway (Challenger) with LED lights.

When connected, I am getting symptoms as follows:-

1. The Caravan sidelights are continuously flickering

2. The indicators work at a faster than normal speed

3. There is no specific indication on the instrument cluster when indicating and no audible signal (I am assuming there should be?)

4. I get two warning displays "Trailer Brake lights" and "Trailer Indicator Bulb" I can "Read" these and they go off but of course return if the car is stopped.

Having said all of the above ALL the lights on the 'van operate as they should do, including fog and reverse lights.....

I have initially removed and checked out the wiring loom from the control box in the boot to the 13pin socket, suspecting dirty contact and short circuits (it's apparent that the towbar has been little used) However everything checks out fine and insulation within the socket is in good order.

Having read this thread I'd be pretty sure that the root cause is the sensing current operating the LED's and the lack of filament bulbs "fooling" the car into thinking that the trailer has faulty bulbs??

Is it also possible that the car software is out of date??

Can the sensing circuit be removed/disabled without sending the canbus system into a spin?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Peter S
The indicator repeater flashing fast is your bulb out warning, there is no separate trailer repeater light on the dash.
I fOundle this out when I bought my 2010 XC70, my previous 1999 V70 had the separate trailer repeater light when the new car did not I thought something wrong and contacted selling dealer. Volvo technical confirmed there was only 1 repeater light and if it flashed fast there was an indicator bulb not working, this held true wether it was a car or trailer indicsterror.
I tested this by plugging my trailer board into the cat, testing that the trailer indictators were working then removing a trailer indicator bulb, indeed the repeater started flashing faster.
The car is legal to town with as there is indication of any of the indicators failing, you just have to go look to find which one.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote