Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV544

Views : 4052

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2021, 16:48   #1
Othen
Premier Member

Default Volvo PV544

Hi chaps,

I spend most of my time in the 200 series area (I drive a 1980 244 - the Royal Barge), but just today I've taken a bizarre fancy to a PV544 I saw advertised on eBay (link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313391007...53.m1438.l2649).

I have never even seen a PV544 up close... would I be certifiably insane to pay £11,000 (or thereabouts) for a car older than I am on a whim?

I probably know the answer to that one, but I'm thinking of doing it anyway.

The question is whether the price is about right (it would be absurd in 244 terms, but maybe PV544 motor cars command a much higher price)?

Alan

PS. Insurance would only be £60.06 PA!
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 17:16   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I think it is the age and commensurate rarity of these cars that is the main factor at play in setting the price point, Alan. As always, it depends upon how much wants one and how much one is prepared to spend in order to fulfill that desire!

The PV predates the Amazon, itself the forerunner of the 1 - series cars. As such, it is in effect the RB's great-grandfather, and, to the best of my knowledge, was never officially exported to the UK. I believe that the Amazon was the first Volvo to be officially imported to this country. There are examples of the PV on the roads, but I think they will all have been privately imported.

There are usually a few on display at Volvo shows, especially the 'National', and while there may be a few still in use in Sweden, most survivors are highly prized and in preservation in their homeland. There are also examples on display at the Volvo Museum in Goteborg, well worth a visit if you should ever find yourself in the vicinity.

Coming back to the price and your original question. For a car in good condition, given it's rarity and desirability, no, I do not believe that you would be considered certifiably insane were you to contemplate spending such a sum. After all, some people spend much more than £11K on 1950 - 60s bubble cars for much the same reasons - and the PV represents a much more compelling purchase in my view!

Regards, John.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 17:31   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I think it is the age and commensurate rarity of these cars that is the main factor at play in setting the price point, Alan. As always, it depends upon how much wants one and how much one is prepared to spend in order to fulfill that desire!

The PV predates the Amazon, itself the forerunner of the 1 - series cars. As such, it is in effect the RB's great-grandfather, and, to the best of my knowledge, was never officially exported to the UK. I believe that the Amazon was the first Volvo to be officially imported to this country. There are examples of the PV on the roads, but I think they will all have been privately imported.

There are usually a few on display at Volvo shows, especially the 'National', and while there may be a few still in use in Sweden, most survivors are highly prized and in preservation in their homeland. There are also examples on display at the Volvo Museum in Goteborg, well worth a visit if you should ever find yourself in the vicinity.

Coming back to the price and your original question. For a car in good condition, given it's rarity and desirability, no, I do not believe that you would be considered certifiably insane were you to contemplate spending such a sum. After all, some people spend much more than £11K on 1950 - 60s bubble cars for much the same reasons - and the PV represents a much more compelling purchase in my view!

Regards, John.
Hi John,

Thank you for that. Actually I was on another errand when I found that car - and it was rather cheaper than I'd expected a 1950s car in apparently good condition to cost.

I might mull over it for a couple of days - and maybe canvas Dan's views (my 16 year old son - but he almost disowned me when I bought the RB, which he thought was complete madness). You may be right about it not being officially imported into the UK (I can only find LHD examples) - so spares might be difficult - there is something about it that is inexplicably attractive though :-)

Alan
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 18:06   #4
arcturus
arcturus

It would be a private import.Spares for the most are not to difficult.For that year it would probably have the B16 1.6motor. Will do some more checking for you.It will be 6 volt. I notice a missing wiper arm on Passenger side.You OK with LHD? If you decide to have a look take a photo of the engine bay and post it here.
My 60 544 sport,If you buy one you won't stop smiling behind the wheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200820_09 (3).jpg (368.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Apr 28th, 2021 at 18:30.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arcturus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 18:12   #5
Army
marches on his stomach

The PV544 was produced along side the Amazon for a few years. They share some bits.

Spares-wise I estimate their availability to be equally as good as the Amazon.

Early PV444 cars have harder to find bits of trim.

There are quite a few of us here with PV544s / PV444s on this forum. I'm one of them. My car =>

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277319

Note these vehicles were never officially brought to the UK by Volvo so were only factory made as LHD examples.

####

Here in Holland the price for a road legal PV544 will start at about 8K (euros) - early PV444s are often more expensive. Nice PV544s (with or with out modifications) go for about 15K to 20K here.

The "one" that people seem to value the most is the PV544 Sport version but as it is easy to change badges and a few engine bits fake versions are easy to stumble across...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 18:55   #6
old fart
Master Member

PVs are great cars to own and drive,and spares are readily available, though personally I prefer the 1961 onward B18 engined ones as they go better and engine parts are easier to find. I think that one is a bit dear, but then you are giving the dealer a good profit on it.This one is mine ( not far sale).Regards, Andy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2164.JPG (142.2 KB, 11 views)
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old fart For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 19:34   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Also if you go to see it take a photo of the vin plate.It's on the bulkhead in the engine bay,left hand side near the regulator.. we can then check it's originality
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 18:01   #8
kishor kassie

Default Pv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi chaps,

I spend most of my time in the 200 series area (I drive a 1980 244 - the Royal Barge), but just today I've taken a bizarre fancy to a PV544 I saw advertised on eBay (link here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313391007...53.m1438.l2649).

I have never even seen a PV544 up close... would I be certifiably insane to pay £11,000 (or thereabouts) for a car older than I am on a whim?

I probably know the answer to that one, but I'm thinking of doing it anyway.

The question is whether the price is about right (it would be absurd in 244 terms, but maybe PV544 motor cars command a much higher price)?

Alan

PS. Insurance would only be £60.06 PA!
Hi Allan

My PV544 is better than that one. Come and see mine, test drive and see the records.
Ta Kassie 07828879494
kishor kassie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kishor kassie For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2021, 09:25   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor kassie View Post
Hi Allan

My PV544 is better than that one. Come and see mine, test drive and see the records.
Ta Kassie 07828879494
Hi Kassie,
Do you mean your car is for sale?
Alan
Old May 1st, 2021, 20:56   #10
WSU303

Hey Alan,

Last year I was in the same position as you, I didn't need another car, but a particular 544 was taunting me. It first appeared on eBay but we didn't have the money for it, then it appeared again - for sale by a friend of mine, and I knew it was sending me signals! So I bought it just before Christmas. On a whim

Mine's nowhere near as pretty as that white one - it's got a few rust holes in the door bottoms and in the boot floor, but it's also covered in a sort of wonderful patina - and because a respray would be a lot of time and money, it's staying patina'd for some time

Mine was a bit of a barn find. It's been off the road for about 20 years, and recommissioning it has cost me a pretty penny. If I were to bring it up to the standard of the white car, it'd cost me close to £10k, so if you see a really nice solid one for £10-11k, it's probably about right.

They're rare cars as it is, but that white one is one of the earlier 544s, which make it even rarer. As others have said it'll be a 6v car with a B16 - not the slowest car in the world, but not quite as pokey as the B18. I would take Kassie up on his offer and go look at one of his - he usually has at least one for sale!

PVs are real head turners, great fun to drive and really quite lovely - plus if well looked after they will hold their value.
WSU303 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WSU303 For This Useful Post: