Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 2005 facelift washer failure

Views : 623

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 16:53   #1
sadsack

Default v70 2005 facelift washer failure

Hi all, I am in need of guidance. The windscreen washers/rear washer are no longer working on my V70 54plate facelift wagon.
I have checked my Haynes manual for the diagram and all it gives is typical layouts that show two pumps and mentions a fuse in the engine bay fusebox. On checking the fusebox, there is no fuse in that location. I think the vehicle is part of a change over batch and nothing is as it is documented. The owners manual does not show a fuse listed for the washer pump in the engine compartment but does list one under the dashboard, but for the V70R. Again there is no fuse in that location (34) but there is a fuse in 33 that is for a vacuum pump which i thought was for post 06 models. Then to add to the confusion, I also have a 55 plate XC70 and there is listed the same fuse in 34 but for V70R.
I have changed the single motor in case that cured the problem, but it didn't and the motor i took off was good anyway.
Can anyone shed any light on the circuit for this please. I dont know if there is a relay involved, I suspect there is as with a single motor, it must have to run in different directions to cover front and rear.
Sorry the post is long but information in it may be useful for the diagnosis.
Thanks
sadsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 11:17   #2
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

If your car has the 2005 electrical system with the single washer pump, the fuse for the washer pump is in the CEM under the dash no.34

the relay control to switch the pump on and change its direction is internal to the CEM and is not user replaceable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by XC70Bob; Jun 24th, 2022 at 11:38.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 11:43   #3
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Just to cover all bases as you say fuse 34 is not present.

If your car has the 2004 electrical system with 2 pumps the front washer pump fuse is no.11B/16

and the rear pump is fuse no.11B/10

but as you say you only have a single pump I doubt this fuses numbers will apply.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 13:33   #4
sadsack

Hi XC70Bob,
Thanks for the information but this doesn't apply to this car. It does have the 2005 CEM as far as I can tell but there is no fuse in 34 and it deffo has the single pump. I have a fuse in 33 and thats supposedly for a vacuum pump according to both owners manuals (2005 and 2006)I have but i don't believe either car has a vacuum pump. The fuse boxes in the engine compartment are different so I don't know where to go. I shall look at the 55plate XC70 i have and see if there is a fuse in 34 on that. As an aside, i checked for with a meter for connection to ground on the pump feed wires, both showed continuity. I also checked for voltage but got nothing on either.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 13:49   #5
sadsack

As an update, the 55 plate XC70 has a fuse in 34 (and 33) and the CEM looks to be the same in both. Would Volvo have produced cars with a hybrid wiring loom?
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 14:35   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

volltage only happens at the pump when switch is operated . the pump has dual polarity for the front / rear i will check my 54 plate v70 it has the single pump system i will scan my car and check with vida to locate the fuse when i get home.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 15:47   #7
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
Hi XC70Bob,
Thanks for the information but this doesn't apply to this car. It does have the 2005 CEM as far as I can tell but there is no fuse in 34 and it deffo has the single pump. I have a fuse in 33 and thats supposedly for a vacuum pump according to both owners manuals (2005 and 2006)I have but i don't believe either car has a vacuum pump. The fuse boxes in the engine compartment are different so I don't know where to go. I shall look at the 55plate XC70 i have and see if there is a fuse in 34 on that. As an aside, i checked for with a meter for connection to ground on the pump feed wires, both showed continuity. I also checked for voltage but got nothing on either.
If the car in question has the CEM covered in a black plastic case then its the 2005 onwards version and the electrical system will also have been updated from the earlier version.

So I would be very surprised if you case had some sort of hybrid electrical system composed of 2004 and 2005 parts as they are not compatible.

The electrical system on the V70, V70R & XC70 are all basically the same, with just some differences depending on engine and options/accessories on specific cars, things like the windscreen washers will be the same across all models.

Are you sure you are looking at the correct fuse as shown in the diagram ?

Its the larger 15A fuse far left in this picture.

Last edited by XC70Bob; Jun 24th, 2022 at 15:51.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 16:59   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

yes mine same as the last photograph posted by bob. check fuse with a meter as a visual dose not always show a failed fuse. it might be worth checking the stalk connections also check pump with an independant power source .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 20:54   #9
sadsack

Well that clears up the issue as to if it has the 2005 electrics or not. The only issue is that the 15A fuse in position 34 is not there at all on the V70. The picture XC70Bob has posted is the same on both of my cars only the XC70 has the fuse and the V70 doesn't. But the V70 has a 5A fuse in position 19 but the owners manual says that is reserved. Does the circuit diagram shed any light on that?
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:14   #10
sadsack

Is it worth sticking a 15A fuse in 34 to see if it makes a difference? I suppose its possible that the fuse has dropped out but if so, it must be hiding.