Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 fault code power supply pump motor

Views : 634

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:29   #1
jiminwatford

Default V70 fault code power supply pump motor

2005 facelift V70 D5

The abs light is on and the code reader says 'power supply pump motor'

The mechanic suggests the abs pump might need to be replaced

The relevant fuse was missing and when replaced the light went out briefly but returned within a few hundred metres. Very occasionally the light still goes out but comes on again

I have seen abs pumps are available on ebay but it seems they would need coding. Is that correct? I don't think my local mechanic could do that and i don't want to try a main dealer

My question is is it most likely to be the pump / module? Can one be replaced without the other? Would it definitely need a recode?

Is there anything around the pump which might cause this? Like a faulty connection?
jiminwatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:32   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

https://volvodiagnostic.com/ is about an hour round the m25 and up the A13 to Tilbury, so not too far away

they can do programming, if it is necessary

I would drop them an email first and just ask what they think about the fault and if a new/replacement 2nd hand one would be likely to cure it

contact@volvodiagnostic.com

someone else might come along and suggest other things to try like which pins to test for voltage or whatever

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:35   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminwatford View Post
2005 facelift V70 D5

The abs light is on and the code reader says 'power supply pump motor'

The mechanic suggests the abs pump might need to be replaced

The relevant fuse was missing and when replaced the light went out briefly but returned within a few hundred metres. Very occasionally the light still goes out but comes on again

I have seen abs pumps are available on ebay but it seems they would need coding. Is that correct? I don't think my local mechanic could do that and i don't want to try a main dealer

My question is is it most likely to be the pump / module? Can one be replaced without the other? Would it definitely need a recode?

Is there anything around the pump which might cause this? Like a faulty connection?
its probably the pump itself , just swap over from another unit to prove a point ..
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:41   #4
jiminwatford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
its probably the pump itself , just swap over from another unit to prove a point ..
So if the pump and module come as one (which they seem to on ebay) split them and just install the pump?
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 13:03   #5
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi. Strange that the fuse was out . Possibly someone was trying to hide the fault.
Anyhow , sounds like a poor electrical connection. May be pump internals as they do go bad.
Best thing is to remove the elecronics module from the square block ( usual power down op first ) . This is the only part coded to the car so no worries.
Remove the pump motor from the square block carefully trying not to dislodge the eccentric disc that the pump shaft passes through . This disc sits between ball/spring operated pistons in the square block. If you do dislodge the disc it can be fiddly to get back in .
Un-plug the main harness. The pump power pins pass through the square block on a long connector . Usually , it is tarnish / corrosion causing a bad connection . You can put 12v across the pump to make sure it runs OK before refitting.
No hydraulics , brake fluid or bleeding involved.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 13:05   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So if the pump and module come as one (which they seem to on ebay) split them and just install the pump?
yes exactly , but the problem is likely to be where the pump lead wires are soldered to the main board in the electronic part of the ABS unit . the heat causes the soldered joint to crack with the constant heating and cooling ,over decades , this goes right back to the 850 models , not on all by any means but the heavily used ones . there are companies which can repair this for you .
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 13:15   #7
jiminwatford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes exactly , but the problem is likely to be where the pump lead wires are soldered to the main board in the electronic part of the ABS unit . the heat causes the soldered joint to crack with the constant heating and cooling ,over decades , this goes right back to the 850 models , not on all by any means but the heavily used ones . there are companies which can repair this for you .
And in this case either replace the electronic part (the module?) for one without damage (which would require programming?) Or get my one fixed (which could go back on without programming?)
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 13:19   #8
jiminwatford

At the minute it sounds like VOLVOBOY is saying the fault could be the connection for the pump itself and Clan is saying it could be the connection to the module

Is that right? Possibly two seperate areas? Does each part have its own power supply?
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 13:21   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
And in this case either replace the electronic part (the module?) for one without damage (which would require programming?) Or get my one fixed (which could go back on without programming?)
Yes re soldering under the cover is not too bad a job .
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 15:52   #10
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

No.
What i am saying is to pull everything apart and check it as you go. To cut open the electronics module would be the last thing that you`d want but if you don`t find the fault then Clan is right , it must be at the board end.
It`s the same electrical supply. It will all become clear as you take it apart. If you get a second hand unit complete before as Clan suggested do a dummy run on that first.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post: