Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Rear Springs Change

Views : 2537

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2022, 08:47   #1
Tam9n

Default V70 Rear Springs Change

Hi there, new user here!

Trying to replace a broken rear siding on my p2 FWD D5 V70.

Not going so well currently, I’ve dropped the shock and removed the old spring, by dropping the control arm.

Trying to reseat the new standard spring is a nightmare, I can’t get it aligned properly at all. The bottom tip just pops out from the notch in the seat when I start to jack up the control arm.

Any help or advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Tam9n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 09:23   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

they are total b£$trds to get in and out I know.. I think Volvo uses an internal spring compressor when they do it

have you tried something like a cable tie or twist of gardening wire just to keep it aligned while you jack.

I've read of people using a bit of washing up liquid to help get it in there to start with but it sounds like you're already past that point

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 10:15   #3
Tam9n

The cable tie idea isn’t a bad one, I’ve actually picked up an internal spring compressor today (Sealey) so might have to give that a whizz.

I wonder how much easier lowering springs aren’t to get in?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tam9n For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 10:39   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

let us know how you get on with that and add a link to the compressor you use if it works, people will definitely be interested in that

lowered springs probably a bit easier but i wouldnt do it myself, the car is heavy and crashy enough through potholes as it is (admittedly that's with polybushed wishbones, subframe bush inserts that I'm thinking of removing, and tyres to 36)

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 10:46   #5
Tam9n

The compressor can be found on a few websites, but it’s also on Amazon!
Sealey AK3842 Coil Spring Compressor, 350mm

Think there was a guy on here had done a few of his T5’s with it, but can’t recall or find his username. Interested to know from him if he did it without dropping any arms, but just compressing the spring and putting it in
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 10:52   #6
Tam9n

Double post sorry!
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 13:11   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam9n View Post
The compressor can be found on a few websites, but it’s also on Amazon!
Sealey AK3842 Coil Spring Compressor, 350mm

Think there was a guy on here had done a few of his T5’s with it, but can’t recall or find his username. Interested to know from him if he did it without dropping any arms, but just compressing the spring and putting it in
When I changed the rears on my C70, which are almost the same PITA I used external Hilka 12700055 Coil Spring Compressors; they are a very similar pattern to the Sealey's, but bolts used are just slightly different (but probably made in the same factory) by almost fully compressing the springs with the "hooks located on the second and second to last coil, and rotating the compressed spring at a slight angle they just cleared the lower cup.

Once seated in the lower arm they are much easier to locate in the upper cup - I used tight cable ties either side of each hook to prevent the hooks slipping along the coil. I used a further pair of ties at the mid-point of each coil between the hooks to reduce the risk of the compressors letting go should the hooks have slipped at all. Once you have located them correctly remove the third pair of cable ties then slowly release each compressor no more than half a turn on alternate sides; only remove the "anti-slip" hold ties when the spring is fully released.

However, using internal compressors does make it easier....apparently!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jun 17th, 2022 at 15:48.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 17:08   #8
Tam9n

Thanks for all the suggestions men. I’ve done plenty of rear springs before but this really is a challenge.

Ah the fella on here was B1MCP, I can’t tag him as I’ve only brand new.

Keen to know if he did it using compressors alone, and not unbolting any control arms?
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 23:38   #9
b1mcp

Yes, internal spring compressor is the only thing needed.

When I first did this job I tried the control arm thing. It was a nightmare and I ended up using ratchet straps to get things held in place and aligned to get the job done. It can be done but it's just a hack and really not worth the cost of a spring compressor.

Internal Spring compressor is the right way to do it and I've done it several times with the tool without issue . See my post about using a spacer with the Sealey tool.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ghlight=sealey

Good Luck.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 09:28   #10
Tam9n

Thanks for the info. I’ve only the one side jacked up right now but can’t see why that would make a difference as everything if independent apart from the arb which is detached.

The problem I’m having is getting the lower portion of the spring to sit where it needs too, even if the top is mounted properly in the aluminium cup.

It just springs back outwards, and doesn’t want to sit where it should