Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo down-specc’d our new XC40

Views : 1668

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2023, 15:13   #1
RandyD

Default Volvo down-specc’d our new XC40

About a year ago I ordered a new XC40 Recharge model (i.e. full electric) from a local dealer. The car is now ready for collection.

At the time the dealer had a great offer on with a free upgrade to the next spec model so we ended up ordering the ultimate spec. over the plus version. Also we were offered regular finance so avoiding either paying in full or going for their subscription model. This was at a great interest rate also 6.6% APR, so better that what you would get today.

Sounds great, the car was originally slated to come in October last year but was pushed out several times until it finally arrived today.

Now the downside, most of the car is as per spec., but two critical items are not:

1) headlight downgraded from pixel led to led
2) foglights downgraded to the basic non-cornering version

The dealer has said the price is capped at a £700 reduction by Volvo.

We asked of they could be retrofitted, but apparently not as the pixel lights require a specific fitment that is only added when the car is manufactured so it’s basically take it or leave it.

Apparently the dealer says that pixel lights will no longer be offered with the XC40 although they are available on the C40. The cornering fog-lights also are not available. I’ve checked and the volvo web site still shows the car with both of these features.

We are going to the dealer tomorrow to look the car over and decide if we still want it or not. Frankly we will probably take it as there are still a lot of free add-ons due to the original deal but it will leave a bad taste in the mouth. I’m also guessing that the dealer will have a bunch of people also waiting who would be glad to have the car.

I’m curious to what others here think, how much difference is there really and what would you do in this situation? Also do you think we have been fed a lie or else subject so some kind of bait and switch tactics to maximise profit or minimise cost to volvo?

Finally - its also a case of buyer beware in case you end up in the same situation.
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 15:35   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

I doubt I will be liked for saying it but IMHO both are things that might well be wanted but are not needed. However did we manage before ?

AND these things will incur additional expense if/when they go wrong and need repair.

Again, just my opinion, but cars are generally becoming overloaded with largely uneccessary "gadgets" which are then horrendously expensive to repair if they subsequently develop a fault. People seem to have forgotten what the basic purpose of a car is/was meant to be.

I guess you are well within to reject the car, if nothing else on principal, but are these items worth the fuss ? Perhaps £700 could be spent elsewhere more valuably in these current times ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 20:04   #3
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Hi,
The pixel lights haven’t been available on the MY23 XC40 Recharge models for several months, due to the worldwide shortage of microprocessors apparently.
I think what you need to consider is how much night driving you do…if it’s not much, then you are not really going to miss either of these features as neither will be used during daylight hours.
If you do a lot of night driving, then you need to weigh up how much difference these features will make to your driving experience, and if you can’t live without them, walk away from the car (that you have waited a year for!), and order another car and possibly wait for another 6 to 9 months for it.
In my view, the XC40 Recharge Ultimate is a great car to drive, even without those 2 features.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 20:15   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
Hi,
The pixel lights haven’t been available on the MY23 XC40 Recharge models for several months, due to the worldwide shortage of microprocessors apparently.
I think what you need to consider is how much night driving you do…if it’s not much, then you are not really going to miss either of these features as neither will be used during daylight hours.
If you do a lot of night driving, then you need to weigh up how much difference these features will make to your driving experience, and if you can’t live without them, walk away from the car (that you have waited a year for!), and order another car and possibly wait for another 6 to 9 months for it.
In my view, the XC40 Recharge Ultimate is a great car to drive, even without those 2 features.
And perhaps how much driving you do in fog ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 10:02   #5
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Its your money and your choice to do what you like.

The dealer isn't lying about components and head office rules, and you can't fit yourself.

If it was my money I would want the car at the reduced price.

Are there any dealer fit genuine Volvo accessories that you would like that the dealer can either include or give you at cost ?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 18:29   #6
exmpa

I purchased my XC40 “off the showroom floor”. It was just after the first lockdown and they clearly had a lot of metal to move so the price was very keen. I didn’t look in any detail at the specification as I was confident the trim level would be adequate for my needs. The car had some features I hadn’t expected; powered tailgate - wouldn’t be without it now: cornering fog lights - nice but could live without them again; and was missing a couple of items I assumed would be fitted.

There was no rear view camera which I judge as highly desirable if not essential, but I negotiated with the dealer to get one fitted. I had assumed it would have adaptive cruise control but it didn’t. However my useage pattern has changed and I really don’t miss it. I now tend to use the speed limiter most of the time and rarely use cruise control.

Whilst I can appreciate the irritation of not getting what you ordered, is it really a deal breaker? You do have the option of accepting the £700 or negotiating for another accessory.

exmpa
exmpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2023, 03:39   #7
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
And perhaps how much driving you do in fog ?
I leave my foglights on all the time as the car looks cooler with them on. It's all about the looks! 🤪
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 12:37   #8
RandyD

Thanks for the comments - we took the car as its still a good deal and with interest rates having gone up we would end up worse off by buying an alternative car though someone else, the price was reduced by £700 even though we pushed for more as a goodwill gesture.

Hopefully the lights will be ok, but its a shame as my wife needs good lights for night driving due to her eyesight. This said the car will mostly be used for local driving so perhaps not so bad. Figuring also that we don’t like it then because of the offer saving us £5-6k overall, we can probably get our money back.

Last edited by RandyD; Mar 1st, 2023 at 12:41.
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RandyD For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 19:37   #9
sasdiscos

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmpa View Post
I purchased my XC40 “off the showroom floor”. It was just after the first lockdown and they clearly had a lot of metal to move so the price was very keen. I didn’t look in any detail at the specification as I was confident the trim level would be adequate for my needs. The car had some features I hadn’t expected; powered tailgate - wouldn’t be without it now: cornering fog lights - nice but could live without them again; and was missing a couple of items I assumed would be fitted.

There was no rear view camera which I judge as highly desirable if not essential, but I negotiated with the dealer to get one fitted. I had assumed it would have adaptive cruise control but it didn’t. However my useage pattern has changed and I really don’t miss it. I now tend to use the speed limiter most of the time and rarely use cruise control.

Whilst I can appreciate the irritation of not getting what you ordered, is it really a deal breaker? You do have the option of accepting the £700 or negotiating for another accessory.

exmpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
About a year ago I ordered a new XC40 Recharge model (i.e. full electric) from a local dealer. The car is now ready for collection.

At the time the dealer had a great offer on with a free upgrade to the next spec model so we ended up ordering the ultimate spec. over the plus version. Also we were offered regular finance so avoiding either paying in full or going for their subscription model. This was at a great interest rate also 6.6% APR, so better that what you would get today.

Sounds great, the car was originally slated to come in October last year but was pushed out several times until it finally arrived today.

Now the downside, most of the car is as per spec., but two critical items are not:

1) headlight downgraded from pixel led to led
2) foglights downgraded to the basic non-cornering version

The dealer has said the price is capped at a £700 reduction by Volvo.

We asked of they could be retrofitted, but apparently not as the pixel lights require a specific fitment that is only added when the car is manufactured so it’s basically take it or leave it.

Apparently the dealer says that pixel lights will no longer be offered with the XC40 although they are available on the C40. The cornering fog-lights also are not available. I’ve checked and the volvo web site still shows the car with both of these features.

We are going to the dealer tomorrow to look the car over and decide if we still want it or not. Frankly we will probably take it as there are still a lot of free add-ons due to the original deal but it will leave a bad taste in the mouth. I’m also guessing that the dealer will have a bunch of people also waiting who would be glad to have the car.

I’m curious to what others here think, how much difference is there really and what would you do in this situation? Also do you think we have been fed a lie or else subject so some kind of bait and switch tactics to maximise profit or minimise cost to volvo?

Finally - its also a case of buyer beware in case you end up in the same situation.
What is the difference between pixel led and non pixel led may I ask?

Would my 2018 xc90 have pixel? I know it has adaptive active bending and fixed fog light cornering but can’t find anything about pixel led.

Point being it f it isn’t as I suspect it is still brilliant. And the cornering dogs only work below 25mph anyway.

Steve.
sasdiscos is offline   Reply With Quote