Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear spring replacement on a T5

Views : 1616

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2021, 18:47   #11
TLPower

Top work.

I have just received a full set of Eibach springs to fit to my V70 T5, 2nd time on this one in 9 years....
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 08:38   #12
VroomVroomClonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPower View Post
I have just received a full set of Eibach springs to fit to my V70 T5, 2nd time on this one in 9 years....
Good luck. At least you know what to expect.
What make did you use last time? I've used Lesjöfors which I hope will last.
What is it with springs breaking so often these days? I've also got a 50 year old Triumph Stag, and that's never needed any new springs!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 17:15   #13
TLPower

A Stag you say?

I started my motor vehicle technician apprenticeship in a Rover/Triumph dealer in 1977. I am still aghast at the state of the cars when they were delivered by transporter or trade platers. Paint peeling on SD1 bonnets, valve stem oil seals missing from SD1 2300/2600 and Stags never had any antifreeze in.

My last springs were Eibach, one front snapped and the rears don't look far off. I like the ride height and the compliance, so like a mug I've gone for the same again.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 19:32   #14
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroomClonk View Post
The whole made in China thing is a minefield. The spring compressor I bought (which is good quality) was made by a Taiwan based company, and says made in China on the box. But remember that the Taiwanese people call themselves The Republic of China, as opposed to communist mainland China who call themselves The Peoples Republic of China. So made in China on something can mean made in either Taiwan or PRC. As the Taiwanese apparently do not like the communist Chinese at all, I generally assume that anything made by a Taiwan based company will not be made in the Peoples Republic of China.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-54001811

I'm afraid Taiwan will soon be a second Crimea. Don't think the americans will be willing to start a war over it. Back to more down to earth things, Lesjofors seem to be quality, didn't read of complains on forums
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 20:38   #15
TLPower

I deserve a huge slice of humble pie. I changed all four springs on my V70 T5 today. Trolley jack and axle stands on the drive. The fronts took an hour per side.

I thought I'd do the fronts first as I expected them to be the easiest after my previous attempts.

The o/s/r took three hours, removal was straight forward, refitting was a complete pain. I ended up using the car's scissor jack to force the hub down to fit the spring (no compressors). The top seat was reluctant to fit fit inside the "cup" and as soon as I fitted the lower in place to top moved out. I eventually managed to fit both ends then the battle of the inner bolt commenced.

I was eventually victorious after and hour of swearing and screw drivers and tyre levers.

The n/s/r was a little better at two hours.

I honestly don't know how I did it so easily on my previous attempts, maybe it's time to admit defeat at crawling underneath cars in my 61st year.

On the bright side I have the o/s/r caliper to reseal tomorrow.....
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 07:47   #16
VroomVroomClonk

Well done! I didn't time myself, but you took less time than me.
I still think that T5's must be different and also more difficult to change than the other FWD phase 2 versions.
Mine passed its MoT this week, so at least I have another year of ticket for my pain. One comment the MoT tester did make to me, and it was only an informal verbal comment not even an advisory, was that the nyloc on the additional nuts I added to the inner bolt was only just making contact with the end of the bolt due to the bolt being a fraction too short. But once I told him that the suspension arm was also threaded and my extra nut was locked against that thread even without the nyloc, he understood. However, I realise now that I should have used plain nuts not nyloc so that their purpose is clear.

Let's hope we never need to change them again!
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 07:55   #17
TLPower

I have made a solemn and binding oath never to change another V70 rear spring.

In addition to the caliper re-seal I have just ordered some genuine handbrake shoes after I stupidly fitted a set of eurocarparts finest a couple of years ago.

A huge thank you to all who posted in the "handbrake doesn't hold downhill" thread.....
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 21:51   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

additional note which I only learnt about myself recently

previous advice given by myself and agreed by others was to unbolt the lower swing arm to remove the spring.. that does work but bear in mind it has an effect on the rear toe

I believe it is an eccentric bolt which may have some bearing on how awkward it was to get back in? anyway just bear that in mind and get the wheel alignment checked afterwards, or mark the alignment of the bolt head prior to removal

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Aug 21st, 2021 at 21:59.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 06:37   #19
TLPower

I am fairly certain the inner bolt is not eccentric. Muggins here managed to fit the lower shock bolt by mistake after much struggling....

Oh how I laughed when I realised my mistake.....
Old Aug 22nd, 2021, 08:18   #20
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

All I know is he turned it and the toe changed.. which is what made me assume the above

One way or another though that bolt affects the toe, maybe it's just a wide hole like the front suspension camber

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote