Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

best place to get gearbox fluid these days

Views : 869

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2022, 20:29   #11
djneils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
When you do this easy job, please remember to report on how foul / black / smelly your old fluid was.
will do!
djneils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 23:42   #12
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

DONT GET FIVE LITRES - IT ISNT ENOUGH. The box holds 7 and a bit so you wont even be touching the sides.

Get 20 litres and use half - use the other half in 18 months
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 23:44   #13
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303956199...kAAOSwO7pcp3Hl
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 14:39   #14
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Those 20l kegs are the correctly sized "dream buy". I wish we had 'em here.
However, the OP is doing his first drain & fill and <4l will drain so a 4, 5 or 6-pack purchase is OK. Likely he will need additional drain & fills but we don't know how he'll react to the experience of doing this job.
Even though a drain & fill is quite easy, many find under-car tasks horrid (or have a bad experience like spilling) and will never do it again.

Remember OP, you don't want a small plastic basin suitable for washing a new born kitten. You need a larger plastic pan; one with a pouring spout.
Also, do not buy one of those odd drain jugs where you let the draining fluid into the side of the jug-then stand it up like a suitcase.
They splash to no end and the big, screw in plastic disc (which seals the open side) are complete garbage.

Decide for yourself. Skip the shipping and reduce the drama and get your first d&f done with a 4l purchase. If the fluid is black and bad (likely) then your subsequent drain & fills will eat up the keg.

Don't saddle a first timer with a 20l keg.

I've gone through many 12-qt. cases and >20 gallon jugs of several ATFs and am very glad I no longer warehouse the stuff.
Companies here sell appropriately sized kits for drain & fills. It's what I now use on my Volvo and won't need for another 20,000+ miles.
Today I've one, sealed 6 quart case of MerconV for my truck and 4 qts. of Mazda FZ for the Mrs' CX-5.

I'm getting older and the thought of my widow giving my ATF stash away or selling it to some scraggly, opportunistic piece of $#!* for pennies on the dollar irks me.
Georgeandkira is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 15:05   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

+1 all very useful info but I would add to that, I use a bucket for draining

plus points being if you jack it to the right height the bucket is basically right up against the drain hole and the liquid doesn't blow around in the wind so much
also less chance of a spill

I then pour carefully from bucket into measuring jug (3 or more pours) and then into the oil disposal container (dispose responsibly!)

it's a nice easy way to both measure the fluid and also see it nice and easily for colour and if there's any bits floating. one would hope not

when it comes to filling up, pouring from a 20l keg into the measuring jug will be fun, you might want a 2nd pair of hands and an old towel laid out

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 30th, 2022 at 15:07.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 18:47   #16
djneils98

thanks all
I have bought 6 litres as people have said that for the first sump dump about 4 litres is released. It came as 6 litre bottles and was about £28
I still need to get a replacement washer for the sump bolt thing (can this be bought online?) and also some way of putting the fluid into the dipstick tube so some sort of tubing (anyone know the correct size or is there a funnel I can buy that is good for the job?)
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 20:38   #17
John97Tdi
Master Member

If you haven't come across it already

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160516

Provides a wealth of tips on 'how-to'.

I'd seriously recommend you clean around the filler plug and make sure it will move before you actually try to change the oil - its probably not been moved for 17 years so its likely to be a bit reluctant! When I did my gearbox oil change the first time the only place I found for seals and washers was Volvo

I've just re-read your question and realised you don't have a geartronic box - in which case it's a lot easier. You will just need appropriately sized tubing (too small and it takes forever - too large and you can cause an 'air-lock' in the dipstick tube. Attach the tubing to the funnel and support it so you can refill it without holding - otherwise you will find youself without enough hands.

Best of luck

John

Last edited by John97Tdi; Jun 30th, 2022 at 20:50. Reason: Re read OP's post.
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 20:40   #18
djneils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
If you haven't come across it already

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160516

Provides a wealth of tips on 'how-to'.

I'd seriously recommend you clean around the filler plug and make sure it will move before you actually try to change the oil - its probably not been moved for 17 years so its likely to be a bit reluctant! When I did my gearbox oil change the first time the only place I found for seals and washers was Volvo
thanks - what do you mean by filler plug? I thought it was only fill-able via the tube the dipstick sits in?
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 20:52   #19
John97Tdi
Master Member

See previous, edited post!
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 20:54   #20
djneils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
See previous, edited post!
I do have a geartronic box - the 5 speed one that's supposed to be 'sealed for life'
it has a dipstick in the engine bay