Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

One week in....

Views : 1304

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2018, 13:54   #1
Waggatron

Default One week in....

So, I’ve had her (are we still allowed to say that?) a week now and covered 200 miles. My thoughts so far.

What I love.....

Just about everything to be honest. It is such a step up in quality and technology from the previous generation as to make a like for like comparison pretty meaningless.

1) Auto...still getting used to it but can’t see me ever going back to a manual. There are times when it changes gear mid corner which upsets the cars dynamic slightly, but am just adjusting my driving style accordingly. I find myself driving far more sedately with this one as the auto box wafts you along. Grunt from the D4 is excellent and mates very well with the auto. Average mpg is rising and currently at 30mpg.

2) Still liking the HUD. Is really useful when displaying sat nav directions as they appear right in front of you.

3) I know the user interface has come in for some stick but I’m finding it very intuitive. The speech recognition is also light years ahead of the previous one. I can change 90% of what I normally need to change with a simple command.

4) Thanks to forum members I’ve now got an almost perfect hit rate with the rear boot hands free opening system. It’s actually more useful than you’d think.

5) Comfort and space is as good as ever. Seats are fantastic.

6) Filled the boot yesterday with 3 bags of compost, bag of ready mix cement, a spade, 8 potted plants, 4 path edging stones and a wire bbq brush (all packed with the utmost care). Swallowed the lot without complaint. Even got the spade in width wise.

7) Volvo app. Never had anything like this before and it’s great. Looking forward to preheating car in winter whilst I have my bran flakes.

8) Stereo....always a good point of debate on this forum. I’m finding the standard system more than adequate for my needs. Not sure how much better it would need to sound for me to part with all those extra £’s to upspec the system.

9) The engineer in me loves the design of the windscreen wash system. It’s like having a lawn sprinkler built into the wipers. And it only deploys liquid on the downward wipe (or was it the upward?). Either way...very clever.

Some minor annoyances......

1) Road noise from the tyres is more intrusive than my old one.

2) I’m finding the steering a lot lighter in feel. I feel less connected with the road surface than previously. Will have a play around with the dynamic mode to see if that changes anything.

3) Denim Blue.....don’t get me wrong....I love my colour choice....but it’s going to be harder to keep sparkly clean than my crystal white one. Just a symptom of any darker colour showing the dirt.

4) I have very minor scratch on passenger side rear door handle. I must have missed it at handover. Barely noticeable, but still annoying. I tell myself there’s way more important things in life to worry about....and at least I’ve got the first one “out the way”.....

5) The Momentum spec has simple black rubber surrounds on the windows. My previous had chrome strips along the bottom edges and so I assumed this one would at least have been comparable. Visually makes a difference.....especially with a darker paint. Can’t spec them separately ..so would have had to step up to Rdesign or Inscription.

And two questions.....

1) I don’t seem to have a warning triangle. I thought it was EU law that every new vehicle is supplied with one? Is that correct?

2) On the Momentum spec, are the front sill tread plates Matt silver with white lettering? I’m trying to work out if there’s still a protective covering over them?
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 14:15   #2
Whiterdesign
Master Member

There should be a warning triangle in the boot lid. open the boot and there should be a removable panel below the rear window. If theres no triangle in there , complain to dealer.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 14:28   #3
gaby
Premier Member

See page 605 for the triangle:
https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...GB_TP25607.pdf
Our XC90 Momentum has some chrome surrounds and accents.
I would prefere black. If possible, I would replace them.
Can you feel the scratch when you go over it with a fingernail?
If not, you will probably be able to buff it out.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 15:35   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

re:
"I’ve had her (are we still allowed to say that?)"

I believe you're allowed to identify as whatever gender you prefer, so all right I should think.

on the scratch - go back to the dealer asap - they might fit a new handle. I had a minuscule scratch on the inside auto brake switch which was replaced - though obviously exterior scratches may be more difficult to assess.

Mind you, my car picks up more (albeit very slight) scratches after dealer visits ...
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 17:01   #5
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggatron View Post
Some minor annoyances......
1) Road noise from the tyres is more intrusive than my old one.
Could you please let me know what wheel size & tyre type/manufacturer you have.
Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 17:37   #6
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Could you please let me know what wheel size & tyre type/manufacturer you have.
Thanks
Standard 18" Alloys for Momentum Pro.
It's come on Continental ContiEcoContact5's. Size - 235/60/R18 V XL
The Following User Says Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 17:42   #7
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
re:
"I’ve had her (are we still allowed to say that?)"

I believe you're allowed to identify as whatever gender you prefer, so all right I should think.

on the scratch - go back to the dealer asap - they might fit a new handle. I had a minuscule scratch on the inside auto brake switch which was replaced - though obviously exterior scratches may be more difficult to assess.

Mind you, my car picks up more (albeit very slight) scratches after dealer visits ...
OK...the car can remain a "she" then rather than an "it"!

I did think about door handle replacement....but I can imagine that has a strong potential to produce rattles etc as they would need to strip the inside of the door down. It's really very minor....no-one I've shown it to has noticed it until I pointed it out. I'm sure it's the first of many blemishes...no matter how careful you drive there is no accounting for the physics of flying objects (stones, cars or indeed shopping trolleys).
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 17:45   #8
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
There should be a warning triangle in the boot lid. open the boot and there should be a removable panel below the rear window. If theres no triangle in there , complain to dealer.
Thanks (and to Gaby).

I don't think I've made it to page 10 of the manual....let alone page 605.

But anyway, now found it in it's little hidey hole :0)

So much easier to access than under the boot floor (like the last one)...another carefully thought out design.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 18:09   #9
Chief inspector
Master Member

Thanks, I thought Volvo has omitted the triangle, but seems its here on the V90 as well, will check if its there.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 19:32   #10
NewV90Owner

Default Road noise from tyres?

This is disappointing - a 60% profile so one would expect that to soak up the bumps/ rough roads.

If Volvo could fix the noise problem in the SPA cars they would have a real winner across the board.

If anyone in a 19 model car thinks it is better than before it would be nice to know.
NewV90Owner is offline   Reply With Quote